What are you ladies wearing at work?

Talk about the latest trends, Your fashion disasters, other peoples fashion disasters
pudsxs
Devotee

Re: What are you ladies wearing at work?

Postby pudsxs » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:33 am

[quote="suzzie76"]Was reading an article about airline female cabin crew. Virgin Atlantic women apparently have a few complaints on new uniform, one being no pants option.

Interestingly they surveyed a number of major airlines and some don't offer pants or some do such as BA, said that since the near industrial action to get the pants option in the 90's that also occurred in Australia, BA has not issued a single pair of pants in 4 years due to lack of requests. Other airlines have likely dropped pants for this reason. Interviews with a few cabin crew and yes they agree, they rather wear a good looking skirt or dress, apart from when its really cold standing waiting for their ride a few days in winter.

I flew in Norway in winter a few years back. Small plane, the hostess wore short'ish skirt, basically a fitted white T, boots, stockings and when the door was open, a full length heavy coat, gloves and hat.

A friend's daughter who had always wanted to be a stewardess from very young age eventually got a job at East Midlands airport. She had to work as ground crew at first and on her very first day she was outside in the back end of a hurricane and the weather was atrocious as you can imagine and also freezing cold. She had a 3/4 length coat but with only the uniform jacket, blouse, skirt and tights underneath. I was at the house when she came home and it almost put her off the job after all the years of wanting it as she couldn't believe they had no choice of trousers at the time. She was shivering and absolutely freezing cold. I don't know if this has changed in the last 2 years or not but in today's political correctness I am surprised they don't have that choice.
I know Louise who posts on here has said her workplace say hosiery must be worn from posts she has made before. I don't know if that means skirts/hosiery are the only option or if they are able to wear trousers if they choose to. The job is office based rather than outside as well I would think so maybe no need to give a choice due to inside/outside problems. But I still would have thought in today's world the option would have to be given or the firm may be classed as sexist.

suzzie76
High Priestess

Postby suzzie76 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:45 pm

pudsxs wrote:
A friend's daughter who had always wanted to be a stewardess from very young age eventually got a job at East Midlands airport. She had to work as ground crew at first and on her very first day she was outside in the back end of a hurricane and the weather was atrocious as you can imagine and also freezing cold. She had a 3/4 length coat but with only the uniform jacket, blouse, skirt and tights underneath. I was at the house when she came home and it almost put her off the job after all the years of wanting it as she couldn't believe they had no choice of trousers at the time. She was shivering and absolutely freezing cold. I don't know if this has changed in the last 2 years or not but in today's political correctness I am surprised they don't have that choice.
I know Louise who posts on here has said her workplace say hosiery must be worn from posts she has made before. I don't know if that means skirts/hosiery are the only option or if they are able to wear trousers if they choose to. The job is office based rather than outside as well I would think so maybe no need to give a choice due to inside/outside problems. But I still would have thought in today's world the option would have to be given or the firm may be classed as sexist.

Yes, there are sometimes lack of appropriate attire and even guys have this issue at times.

Did she raise it with her Super? Working ground crew, I would have thought pants would have been a must. Sounds like more someone made a mistake.

Not sure I would call it sexist, well not without more info, I mean if they put a male in shorts outside in that weather would it be sexist? Unless it was a deliberate act.

Anyway, we all have those bad days at work, especially early in our working career before we know any better. Glad she stuck it out and hope she got the Hostess role eventually.

Siobhan12
Devotee

Postby Siobhan12 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:57 am

Long black skirt, white blouse, grey V-neck wool cardigan, knee length crew neck grey wool cardigan and flat black shoes.

Siobhan12
Devotee

Postby Siobhan12 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:53 am

Pale blue blouse, long navy pinafore, grey V-neck wool cardigan, knee length grey wool crew neck cardigan and flat black shoes.

Emmalee
Just warming up

Postby Emmalee » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:30 pm

black knee length skirt with a leather jacket for outside, tights and burgundy leather boots.

Siobhan12
Devotee

Postby Siobhan12 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:09 am

Long grey skirt, pale blue blouse, navy V-neck wool cardigan, crew neck knee length navy wool cardigan and flat black shoes.

pudsxs
Devotee

Postby pudsxs » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:26 pm

Yes, there are sometimes lack of appropriate attire and even guys have this issue at times.

Did she raise it with her Super? Working ground crew, I would have thought pants would have been a must. Sounds like more someone made a mistake.

Not sure I would call it sexist, well not without more info, I mean if they put a male in shorts outside in that weather would it be sexist? Unless it was a deliberate act.

Anyway, we all have those bad days at work, especially early in our working career before we know any better. Glad she stuck it out and hope she got the Hostess role eventually.[/quote]

Thanks for your reply Suzzie.
Her mum told her to just wear trousers and then if they don't like it then tough. But I said maybe not the best idea when she is just starting work there. Go in skirt as instructed with trousers in a bag also, and have a chat and then she could change if able to.
She did and things got sorted out and she is now happily flying all over the world and loving her job.

Siobhan12
Devotee

Postby Siobhan12 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:43 am

Long grey dress, charcoal V-neck wool cardigan, long charcoal wool cardigan with collar and flat black shoes.

Siobhan12
Devotee

Postby Siobhan12 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:14 am

Long olive green dress, V-neck navy wool cardigan, knee length navy wool crew neck cardigan and flat black shoes.

Siobhan12
Devotee

Postby Siobhan12 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:52 am

White blouse, long navy pinafore dress, knee length charcoal crew neck wool cardigan, long charcoal wool cardigan with collar and flat black shoes.

Return to “Fashion”