Chat rooms vs real life.

If your itchin' to do some gripe n this is the place be...
Argue discuss row and fight but stay friends...
zilt
Demigod

Chat rooms vs real life.

Postby zilt » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:07 am

You know how in chat rooms you can put annoying people on ignore so you don't have to deal with their pointless chatter? Don't you wish you could do that sort of thing with some people in real life?

Witchy1
Regent Empress

Re: Chat rooms vs real life.

Postby Witchy1 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:41 pm

Hell yes i have a list :D
Something wicked this way walks :witch:

starbomb
Private Dancer (can now PM!)

Postby starbomb » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:58 am

A mute button would be invaluable.
Sometimes I do that thing where you squash people with your index finger and thumb when they're at a distance. Be great if that just popped them like a bubble.
I didn't come this far to only come this far.

mostirreverent
Angel

Postby mostirreverent » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:21 am

do they still have chat rooms. I've never been in one. I think I missed out, they sound fun in retrospect, especially with my experience with this place.
"I haven't a particle of confidence in a man who has no redeeming petty vices."
Mark Twain

"A place for everything, and everything all about the place."
Mosti

Me in the Flesh Redux

starbomb

Postby starbomb » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:25 pm

mostirreverent wrote:do they still have chat rooms. I've never been in one. I think I missed out, they sound fun in retrospect, especially with my experience with this place.

I wouldn't have a clue what exists now but I used to use mIRC when I was like 16. It was real cutting edge at the time and kind of scary really. I met people in person that I found on there and I wouldn't want my kids using it.

mostirreverent
Angel

Postby mostirreverent » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:32 am

starbomb wrote:
mostirreverent wrote:do they still have chat rooms. I've never been in one. I think I missed out, they sound fun in retrospect, especially with my experience with this place.

I wouldn't have a clue what exists now but I used to use mIRC when I was like 16. It was real cutting edge at the time and kind of scary really. I met people in person that I found on there and I wouldn't want my kids using it.

I suppose they were like forums, with all the different rooms (like sections here). In the early days, this place was a real hot bed of sex, filled with young 20-30-somethings. grand fun.

how was mIRC different from say IM chat. how did others find out you existed. with IM, you had to "know" someone first
Mark Twain

Mosti

Me in the Flesh Redux

starbomb

Postby starbomb » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:34 am

mostirreverent wrote:
starbomb wrote:

I suppose they were like forums, with all the different rooms (like sections here). In the early days, this place was a real hot bed of sex, filled with young 20-30-somethings. grand fun.

how was mIRC different from say IM chat. how did others find out you existed. with IM, you had to "know" someone first

There were public rooms you could enter, say based on your country or state or a band - whatever really. You could get a list of them and how many people in them. Then you would chat to whomever, trying to find someone interesting or with similar interest. You wouldn't need to commit any information such as an email address or a pic, the only identifiable info you could look up about a person was their IP address. So you may be able to see if someone was lying about where they were from or if they had changed their nickname and were lying to you and posing as someone else. Easy to block them. Easy to leave rooms. You get chatting to someone you like, they may then invite you to a private room where only specific people have permission to enter. There were mods. If people got nasty they could be booted. You used this as a base to meet more people and invite them into your community. This type of room was quite intimate and I met some in person. Obviously, if you already knew someone and you wanted them to join it, you would just permission them. It, for me, was more about meeting people you didn't know, rather than using it as a mode to com with people you already did.

mostirreverent
Angel

Postby mostirreverent » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:31 am

starbomb wrote:
mostirreverent wrote:
starbomb wrote:

There were public rooms you could enter, say based on your country or state or a band - whatever really. You could get a list of them and how many people in them. Then you would chat to whomever, trying to find someone interesting or with similar interest. You wouldn't need to commit any information such as an email address or a pic, the only identifiable info you could look up about a person was their IP address. So you may be able to see if someone was lying about where they were from or if they had changed their nickname and were lying to you and posing as someone else. Easy to block them. Easy to leave rooms. You get chatting to someone you like, they may then invite you to a private room where only specific people have permission to enter. There were mods. If people got nasty they could be booted. You used this as a base to meet more people and invite them into your community. This type of room was quite intimate and I met some in person. Obviously, if you already knew someone and you wanted them to join it, you would just permission them. It, for me, was more about meeting people you didn't know, rather than using it as a mode to com with people you already did.

I would have liked that. the forum is similar, with the PM function, or then taking it to IM or email. I love getting a surprise PM from strangers here, those you had no idea they read you...
Mark Twain

Mosti

Me in the Flesh Redux

happygirl
Transcendent Poster

Postby happygirl » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:07 pm

zilt wrote:You know how in chat rooms you can put annoying people on ignore so you don't have to deal with their pointless chatter? Don't you wish you could do that sort of thing with some people in real life?

Ooh yes :lol:
:bighug:

withhold

Postby withhold » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:49 pm

I like _ contact. It's real life contact minust the grossness of dealing with humans
in person.

emilycurious
M'Lady

Postby emilycurious » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:27 pm

If you see Kay
"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them." Attributed to Margaret Atwood.

Elysa
Master Wizard

Postby Elysa » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:50 am

emilycurious wrote:If you see Kay

What's going on with you? Why why why? Are are are? You you you? Editing all your damn posts and giving the double bird?

Don't leave me, Ems. I like to see you play!!!

emilycurious
M'Lady

Postby emilycurious » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:43 pm

Contractual obligations!

mostirreverent
Angel

Postby mostirreverent » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:02 am

emilycurious wrote:Contractual obligations!

Where in our marriage vows did it say you had to do that
Mark Twain

Mosti

Me in the Flesh Redux

Return to “Bleet N'”