Medical Expenses

If your itchin' to do some gripe n this is the place be...
Argue discuss row and fight but stay friends...
Astrid
Regent Empress

Medical Expenses

Postby Astrid » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:36 pm

I went to a "mini er" last month for a kidney stone. I got the bill today. over 16,000. My insurance paid it's portion and now I owe about 1,500 dollars. "Due immediately" of course. I called and explained I don't have that sort of cash, and I'm allowed to fill out an "income based" form to see if I qualify for a reduced payment. It's times like these when I wonder why in the ever loving F*** people fight so hard against universal healthcare. Is this what you want so badly? To pay high monthly premiums towards health coverage to you can owe 1,500 dollars for a kidney stone?

Kilgoretrout1
Master Wizard

Re: Medical Expenses

Postby Kilgoretrout1 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:33 pm

Astrid wrote:I went to a "mini er" last month for a kidney stone. I got the bill today. over 16,000. My insurance paid it's portion and now I owe about 1,500 dollars. "Due immediately" of course. I called and explained I don't have that sort of cash, and I'm allowed to fill out an "income based" form to see if I qualify for a reduced payment. It's times like these when I wonder why in the ever loving F*** people fight so hard against universal healthcare. Is this what you want so badly? To pay high monthly premiums towards health coverage to you can owe 1,500 dollars for a kidney stone?

Because the people pushing to repeal have the type of health insurance that wouldn't lead to the claim or they don't have to worry if they get it. It sucks, I agree completely. It is very silly that health care is tied to employment
I am chickpea :?

Astrid
Regent Empress

Postby Astrid » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:29 pm

Kilgoretrout1 wrote:
Astrid wrote:I went to a "mini er" last month for a kidney stone. I got the bill today. over 16,000. My insurance paid it's portion and now I owe about 1,500 dollars. "Due immediately" of course. I called and explained I don't have that sort of cash, and I'm allowed to fill out an "income based" form to see if I qualify for a reduced payment. It's times like these when I wonder why in the ever loving F*** people fight so hard against universal healthcare. Is this what you want so badly? To pay high monthly premiums towards health coverage to you can owe 1,500 dollars for a kidney stone?

Because the people pushing to repeal have the type of health insurance that wouldn't lead to the claim or they don't have to worry if they get it. It sucks, I agree completely. It is very silly that health care is tied to employment

I F****** hate Republicans. That is all.

Kilgoretrout1
Master Wizard

Postby Kilgoretrout1 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:31 pm

Astrid wrote:
Kilgoretrout1 wrote:

certainly hyper social conservatives or screw the poor conservatives. What's left on that side?

Astrid
Regent Empress

Postby Astrid » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:28 am

Kilgoretrout1 wrote:
Astrid wrote:
Kilgoretrout1 wrote:

certainly hyper social conservatives or screw the poor conservatives. What's left on that side?

They're all just garbage.

Kilgoretrout1
Master Wizard

Postby Kilgoretrout1 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:35 am

Astrid wrote:
Kilgoretrout1 wrote:
Astrid wrote:
Kilgoretrout1 wrote:

They're all just garbage.

Much as I hate to be a partisan dick I agree

Lady J 624
Queen

Postby Lady J 624 » Tue May 03, 2016 2:21 am

I love how the insurance company on its statement shows the "discount" they negotiated for me. Wtf? Why can't there be one price for stuff?
Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere.

Astrid
Regent Empress

Postby Astrid » Tue May 03, 2016 2:25 am

Lady J 624 wrote:I love how the insurance company on its statement shows the "discount" they negotiated for me. Wtf? Why can't there be one price for stuff?

They "negotiated". Right. I'm sure they spend lots of time trying to save us money.

DanMc
Seraphim

Postby DanMc » Tue May 03, 2016 11:42 pm

I'm a big supporter of the UK NHS, but it has its problems for sure. Rolling out a similar National Health Service in a country the size of the US would be a monumental task of gigantic proportions. I've never understood why keeping healthcare in the hands of hugely profitable private healthcare companies is such a vote winner in the US though.

I spent 16 days in hospital around Christmas 2014 and was still too unwell to go back to work for weeks after that, the last thing I needed on top of everything else was a medical bill for thousands of pounds.
For The Many Not The Few.

Astrid
Regent Empress

Postby Astrid » Wed May 04, 2016 12:15 am

DanMc wrote:I'm a big supporter of the UK NHS, but it has its problems for sure. Rolling out a similar National Health Service in a country the size of the US would be a monumental task of gigantic proportions. I've never understood why keeping healthcare in the hands of hugely profitable private healthcare companies is such a vote winner in the US though.

I spent 16 days in hospital around Christmas 2014 and was still too unwell to go back to work for weeks after that, the last thing I needed on top of everything else was a medical bill for thousands of pounds.

It's my opinion that the majority of Americans do want national healthcare, but we're not the ones calling the shots. Big pharma and insurance companies have a lot of fingers in the congressional pie. A friend of mine is a few months pregnant and she is already making monthly payments towards the fees she'll rack up while she is at the hospital to deliver. Insanity.

Kilgoretrout1
Master Wizard

Postby Kilgoretrout1 » Wed May 04, 2016 3:02 am

Astrid wrote:
DanMc wrote:I'm a big supporter of the UK NHS, but it has its problems for sure. Rolling out a similar National Health Service in a country the size of the US would be a monumental task of gigantic proportions. I've never understood why keeping healthcare in the hands of hugely profitable private healthcare companies is such a vote winner in the US though.

It's my opinion that the majority of Americans do want national healthcare, but we're not the ones calling the shots. Big pharma and insurance companies have a lot of fingers in the congressional pie. A friend of mine is a few months pregnant and she is already making monthly payments towards the fees she'll rack up while she is at the hospital to deliver. Insanity.
sadly I think you're right. Congress vehemently opposes a lot of policies that have majority support

KBEES
Wizard

Postby KBEES » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:21 pm

For all the ills of the British NHS and it has become an uncontrollable money pit, once through the hops and waiting lists, I have found then medical side and staff fantastic, they do incredible work and get little recognition.
We have Company private health, which we haven't needed to use and the thought of the NHS for emergencies is comforting.
I have met someone I cannot live without rather than someone that I can live with.

Mr.Married
Advocate

Postby Mr.Married » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:48 pm

Here is a tip for medical bills in the USA:

You can tell the medical provider you will not pay the bill so they should send it to a collection agency. When the collection agency calls the house you ask them
what is the agreed price for single lump sum payment. The new price will be between 50 to 75 percent of the original amount. If you pay the lump sum nothing
goes on your credit report.

I found out about this perhaps a year ago and have used it ever since when I get a large medical bill.

Return to “Bleet N'”