My mother and politics

If your itchin' to do some gripe n this is the place be...
Argue discuss row and fight but stay friends...
franfran
Angel

My mother and politics

Postby franfran » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:47 am

I spent yesterday at my mother's place, helping her clean up, and when we stopped for lunch she started talking about politics. Not that I mind people talking about politics but:
    she prefixes most of her comments with "I know you won't agree with me, but..."
    if it's on talk back radio she'll believe anything
    talk back radio hosts are more intelligent than any politician (I'm prepared to concede that she might have a point there)
    she firmly believes that there is no such thing as global warming
    any politician who is not from the far right is either an idiot or is a devious person promoting their own hidden agenda
    all left wing parties are Communists in disguise
    whenever I tried to change the subject she'd bring it back again.

She's so right wing it's ridiculous. I think she would get on well with Fred.

And yes, we did get all the cleaning done.
Sure God created man before woman. But then you always make a rough draft before the final masterpiece.

Steve101c
Wet behind the ears

Re: My mother and politics

Postby Steve101c » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:05 am

Luckily, my mother and I see eye to eye on politics. They only thing you can do is grin and bear it. You aren't going to change her mind (anymore than she is going to change yours), so just listen to her and go on your way.
So it goes...

franfran
Angel

Postby franfran » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:02 am

Which is more or less what I do. It just gets a bit frustrating at times....
Sure God created man before woman. But then you always make a rough draft before the final masterpiece.

Steve101c
Wet behind the ears

Postby Steve101c » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:52 pm

I'm sure that it can be. One of my friends is in the same boat. She's pretty liberal, where her parents are both pretty conservative. Her parents couldn't understand why she would ever think about voting for Obama in the US.
You could try another tactic. You can tell her that it makes you uncomfortable discussing politics with her (hey, it's the truth!), and you would like to discuss other things that are more meaningful.
Good luck!

Steve
So it goes...

cosmicB
Regent Empress

Postby cosmicB » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:31 am

Oh you poor thing.. having to listen to that vile "talk back radio" crap... That's like "having to swim in poop"...
Talk radio must be the most horrid thing on the planet, second only to the stench of a rural carcass dump...
It's like mindless people who can't process thought need that sort of mashed-potato stimulus to match the green mashed-potato in their heads where their brains should be......

franfran
Angel

Postby franfran » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:06 am

cosmicB wrote:Oh you poor thing.. having to listen to that vile "talk back radio" crap... That's like "having to swim in poop"...
Talk radio must be the most horrid thing on the planet, second only to the stench of a rural carcass dump...
It's like mindless people who can't process thought need that sort of mashed-potato stimulus to match the green mashed-potato in their heads where their brains should be......

I don't believe it!!!!!!!!! A post by Cosmic that I agree with :shock:

cosmicB
Regent Empress

Postby cosmicB » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:34 pm

Holy fuk!.. What's the world coming to..? Are you on your death bed or something..? Or did you just take too many relaxer pills..?

franfran
Angel

Postby franfran » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:34 pm

cosmicB wrote:Are you on your death bed or something..?

I assure you I am very much alive....

The Colonel

Postby The Colonel » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:45 am

My father and I don't agree politically. He's Conservative and I'm Labour. Caused a few rows in my teens and twenties. :lol:

cosmicB
Regent Empress

Postby cosmicB » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:15 pm

Father's are blinded by history.. which grows on them like a pimple on the arse... It becomes the touch of their "god"...
You've learned a hundred-times what was even available for your father to learn.. yet he pretends to know a hundred times what he doesn't.. whilst scratching at that precious pimple... I only regret that I didn't get the op to beat the shitt out of my oldman... He didn't even leave me That...

Steve101c
Wet behind the ears

Postby Steve101c » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:37 pm

CosmicB, I think that you are stereotyping a bit, you know?
So it goes...

cosmicB
Regent Empress

Postby cosmicB » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:30 pm

Only from my unfortunate perspective...

I am merely mirroring what fathers, with a WW2 mentality, did and do-do.. which is more an accurate perspective than is "stereotyping"... It's just how they are... They know no any other way... I'm just calling an asshole an asshole.. which could very well be construed as "stereoing something" I suppose... What ever it is it is what it is, and that's what it is...

boingo
Cherubim

Postby boingo » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:26 am

franfran wrote:I spent yesterday at my mother's place, helping her clean up, and when we stopped for lunch she started talking about politics. Not that I mind people talking about politics but:
    she prefixes most of her comments with "I know you won't agree with me, but..."
    if it's on talk back radio she'll believe anything
    talk back radio hosts are more intelligent than any politician (I'm prepared to concede that she might have a point there)
    she firmly believes that there is no such thing as global warming
    any politician who is not from the far right is either an idiot or is a devious person promoting their own hidden agenda
    all left wing parties are Communists in disguise
    whenever I tried to change the subject she'd bring it back again.

She's so right wing it's ridiculous. I think she would get on well with Fred.

And yes, we did get all the cleaning done.

My whole family's a bit like that. They get all their information about the world through our Australian TV news which is often very bias and not much better than tabloid journalism because they tend to skip important facts for the sake of a sensationalistic story.
Out of the commercial stations I least trust 7, then 9 and last 10. This is because I've caught them out lying many times and even proven how unreliable the news is by pointing out major discrepancies, but they continue to take it all at face value.
One example is three times in as many years we were told Frank Sinatra had died. They got it right the third time. Another time channel 7 said some new law had come into effect, but on the same night channel 10 had an interview with the Prime Minister of the time who announced the proposed law change. In the end, whatever that law change was, it never did come into effect.

My family think I'm not informed about the world because I don't like to watch our TV news, but us regular internet users get a better cross-section of news. For example, I prefer to get my United Kingdom news from United Kingdom news broadcasters and the same thing for America, instead of our Australianised news where they try to make our country seem better by showing the worst parts of other countries. :?
“What deep wounds ever healed without a scar?”
-Lord Byron

franfran
Angel

Postby franfran » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:45 am

Or read the newspaper - and I don't mean a tabloid such as the Telegraph.....

xxMichellexx
Wet behind the ears

Postby xxMichellexx » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:13 am

I think politics is just a waste of time, and usually a glorified popularity contest with very little substance.

I dont assign myself to any wing or party, as i make my own opinions on things. What if i apply myself to a certain political party and they then say something i dont agree with?

All seems pretty pointless to me.

Return to “Bleet N'”