Blood pressure medication.

Discuss love and sex
light1313
Swami

Blood pressure medication.

Postby light1313 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:23 am

Hi.
İs there anyone who knows about this particular side effect of blood pressure medications?
my husband has recently started taking daily medication for high blood presure. İt has ruined our sex life. Ejeculation is possible with a lot of effort but he doesnt get an erection. The day before he started taking the medication everything was fine. This is surely a side effect of the medication as ı have researched on the internet some men stop taking it because of this partiular side effect. İs there a solution? does it subside after a while or does it persist? Would it subside if the doctor changed our medication? We do need to tell the doctor about this but my husband is reluctant to do so.

UKGent
Master Wizard

Re: Blood pressure medication.

Postby UKGent » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:58 pm

A number of my male relatives suffer from high blood pressure and have been taking medication for it for years and yes the side effect of taking medication for high blood pressure is erectile dysfunction and yes the effect is present for the duration of taking the medication.

My relatives have not discussed it in greater detail with me because they find the topic embarrassing and thus all I've been able to ascertain is that those who wanted to have an active sex life went to their doctor to get the medication changed BUT it meant discussing the issue with the doctor.

If you want to have an active sex life with your husband he is going to have to talk about it with his doctor. I do believe there are different types of high blood pressure medication that can help, but they are determined on a persons age, their general fitness level, their diet. Not something that men find easy to talk about, especially to a doctor.

light1313
Swami

Postby light1313 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:46 pm

A number of my male relatives suffer from high blood pressure and have been taking medication for it for years and yes the side effect of taking medication for high blood pressure is erectile dysfunction and yes the effect is present for the duration of taking the medication.

My relatives have not discussed it in greater detail with me because they find the topic embarrassing and thus all I've been able to ascertain is that those who wanted to have an active sex life went to their doctor to get the medication changed BUT it meant discussing the issue with the doctor.

If you want to have an active sex life with your husband he is going to have to talk about it with his doctor. I do believe there are different types of high blood pressure medication that can help, but they are determined on a persons age, their general fitness level, their diet. Not something that men find easy to talk about, especially to a doctor.
Thank you for your reply. My hısband has decided to talk about it with the doctor on our next apointment if the problem persists. I hope there is a solution. Do all blood presure medications have this side effect or if there are some that dont why dont doctors prescibe those to men in the first place? or maybe as with SSRI type antiderpresants each active substance has different side effects on each individual, trial and error.
Do you know if when your relatives changed the medication did the problem subside?

UKGent
Master Wizard

Postby UKGent » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:08 pm

Thank you for your reply. My hısband has decided to talk about it with the doctor on our next apointment if the problem persists. I hope there is a solution. Do all blood presure medications have this side effect or if there are some that dont why dont doctors prescibe those to men in the first place? or maybe as with SSRI type antiderpresants each active substance has different side effects on each individual, trial and error.
Do you know if when your relatives changed the medication did the problem subside?
From what I've learnt talking to my male relatives about this issue. Doctors give out the standard well know drugs for high blood pressure. The side effect of erectile dysfunction is a small price to pay for improving ones blood pressure according to the doctor.

From what little I know, I had 3 male relatives who took the commonly prescribed medications for high blood pressure for the rest of their lives and they struggled to get erections. One of my younger male relatives who wanted to start a family was given a different type of high blood pressure medication.

Remember, if your husband is not 100% honest with his doctor when the doctor asks him questions, your husband could be prescribed with the wrong medication.

light1313
Swami

Postby light1313 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:29 pm

From what I've learnt talking to my male relatives about this issue. Doctors give out the standard well know drugs for high blood pressure. The side effect of erectile dysfunction is a small price to pay for improving ones blood pressure according to the doctor.

From what little I know, I had 3 male relatives who took the commonly prescribed medications for high blood pressure for the rest of their lives and they struggled to get erections. One of my younger male relatives who wanted to start a family was given a different type of high blood pressure medication.

Remember, if your husband is not 100% honest with his doctor when the doctor asks him questions, your husband could be prescribed with the wrong medication.
Thanks for your comments and advice

sandishore
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby sandishore » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:07 pm

I would imagine that the GP can prescribe another medicine to address the ED - the condition is so common that one or the other top rated pills should be able to work side by side - as with all things medical - talk to a professional.

Of course if possible taking regular exercise https://blood-pressure-monitoring.org/b ... -exercise/ is recommended for both lowering blood pressure naturally and getting the cardio vascular system pumping - that could be helpful too

Return to “Bedroom Chat”