virus software

Are you having technical problem, computer playing up, post your problems here and we will help solve them
hellothula
Beginner! Talk to me!

virus software

Postby hellothula » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:59 pm

Does anyone use Avast?
Have you noticed that it is very sensitive? and tries to block most webpages?

DanMc
Seraphim

Re: virus software

Postby DanMc » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:13 pm

I haven't used Avast. The basic Avast free version is an anti-virus program and can't block sites, the only version of Avast with a firewall that I'm aware of is the expensive Internet Security Package. If you are just a home computer user not visiting dodgy sites Zone Alarm is enough firewall and also free for home users. When I was using Windows I used Antivir to stop malware infections, which did the job. Others swear by AVG.

I don't worry about this crap now, mainly I use Linux.
For The Many Not The Few.

PlasticAnnArbor
Evangelist

Postby PlasticAnnArbor » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:48 am

the free or paid for avast
SHOULD NOT be blocking sites

now is this MS's internet explorer 9 or 8 or the soon to be dead 7
or xp and the dead ie6

ie8& 9 need the "compatibility layer" setting used to view any web site made with Microsoft's tools for IE6 and 7

Those tools made sites that were SO FAR from the international Standards that in 8 and 9 when MS tried to bring IE Back into compliance ( w3c and ISO) that a lot of web sites ( including Microsoft.com) DO NOT WORK in IE8 and 9 without using the "compatibility layer" .
The compatibility layer is a working version of IE7 that runs inside IE8 and 9
Linux
http://www.tldp.org/

EugeniaBozena
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby EugeniaBozena » Fri May 06, 2011 3:21 pm

Yes I have using avast antivirus software for my pc, it is very sensitive and block infected webpages, it is update automatically

PlasticAnnArbor
Evangelist

Postby PlasticAnnArbor » Sat May 07, 2011 7:12 am

it is very sensitive and block infected webpages, it is update automatically

most of the time 99+% it is the advertising on the web page that is the issue .
and NOT the site it's self .There are very few ( count on fingers) that ARE ran by a botnet Admin. and are malicious .

not to long ago McAffee( yes the AV software firm) was serving up adds from a third party using CSS( cross site scripting ) to serve up "click on" adds for viruses

what avast and MS Windows Internet explorer are doing is looking up on a "White List " ( or Black List - if set ) sites that are " trustworthy" ??? ( even with the hacked on NOT safe CA certs)

then is MS and CA deems the site "safe" ( it's cert is on a "good" list ) then it shows it

-- never did like that, it is WAY too easy to censer content
and the current CA certs CAN BE fooled
Linux

Plucky_ Gold
Transcendent Poster

Postby Plucky_ Gold » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:56 am

My new computer comes with McAfee Antivirus 30 days trial. I've just bought my own antivirus ( initially thought having 2 is safer than one thinking the McAfee is preinstalled for free ) but now realised I have to uninstall the McAfee before I could install the new one. Is it safe to do it myself?

PlasticAnnArbor
Evangelist

Postby PlasticAnnArbor » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:24 am

yes it is safe , just your email will be spammed by them .Mcafee is well known for this ( so is Norton )

also keep in mind that NOTHING will play nice with microsoft's own software ( auto installed) so any and every third party WILL have some conflict
Microsoft dose this on purpose.

now there is a MS Windows version of ClamAV (it's opensource ) that will not interfere .It dose NOT run in the background .You have to run a scan .

but i would also install "Spy bot search and destroy " (SpyBot S&D) it's opensource
Linux

Plucky_ Gold
Transcendent Poster

Postby Plucky_ Gold » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:06 pm

PlasticAnnArbor wrote:yes it is safe , just your email will be spammed by them .Mcafee is well known for this ( so is Norton )

also keep in mind that NOTHING will play nice with microsoft's own software ( auto installed) so any and every third party WILL have some conflict
Microsoft dose this on purpose.

now there is a MS Windows version of ClamAV (it's opensource ) that will not interfere .It dose NOT run in the background .You have to run a scan .

but i would also install "Spy bot search and destroy " (SpyBot S&D) it's opensource

Oh dear, it does sound complicated for me. Thanks, by the way. :(

PlasticAnnArbor
Evangelist

Postby PlasticAnnArbor » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:43 am

not to complicated
add and remove software will remove mcafee
Except for the hidden system registry entries and a hidden file on the boot partition and maybe some leftover bits and pieces.

For the windows registry there is a "free" sort of ( one time ONLY use ) for free
AVG
http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage
has a one time registry cleaner that will remove the system registry entry’s that mcafee DID NOT remove ( on purpose)

as to any leftover parts on the boot partition ( MBR) ??? have win7 reinstall( fix) the mbr
there may or may not be anything installed to the MBR by mcafee ? but who knows .It is a VERY invasive program ( like a fungal infection ) it spreads everywhere .
Linux

Plucky_ Gold
Transcendent Poster

Postby Plucky_ Gold » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:01 pm

PlasticAnnArbor wrote:not to complicated
add and remove software will remove mcafee
Except for the hidden system registry entries and a hidden file on the boot partition and maybe some leftover bits and pieces.

For the windows registry there is a "free" sort of ( one time ONLY use ) for free
AVG
http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage
has a one time registry cleaner that will remove the system registry entry’s that mcafee DID NOT remove ( on purpose)

as to any leftover parts on the boot partition ( MBR) ??? have win7 reinstall( fix) the mbr
there may or may not be anything installed to the MBR by mcafee ? but who knows .It is a VERY invasive program ( like a fungal infection ) it spreads everywhere .

I'd already uninstalled McAfee it and installed my own antivirus and now I found out I cant have Yahoo US homepage at all. I called the for help and the service agent asked me to uninstall and then reinstall their product again to see if it's their fault. The reason he asked me to do that is because I bought a 32 bit softwares but my computer is 64 bit, so I had to download it from their web before registering it. :(

Bipsjohn
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby Bipsjohn » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:00 am

Well I have used AVAST
if it is blocking sties for you you need to adjust the firewall setting maybe that helps.

If still you are not able to open pages means they are infected. you can try there and many other anti viruses available having better track record.

Plucky_ Gold
Transcendent Poster

Postby Plucky_ Gold » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:24 am

Thankd Bipsjohn, I find I can go into yahoo now but through " Try It's cached copy". Looks like google is blocking me from direct access.

koli
Evangelist

Postby koli » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:04 am

i use avg , but feel that it makes the pc run slowly !!! :D ImageImageImage

paul.at365
Wall Flower

Postby paul.at365 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:08 am

i found AVG pretty cool and doesnt use much of the PC's resources.

Return to “Computer Problem Solver”