The Day from Hell

chat about all issues involving cars, servicing, help, and tips

Moderator: Silent One

lynnsclunker
Wet behind the ears

The Day from Hell

Postby lynnsclunker » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:57 pm

I remember one night leaving work, or trying to at least. The problem was, my old car didn't seem to want to leave. I had just been through the meeting from hell, and was not in the mood for any more problems. So when I got to the parking lot and walked up to the car, I felt a cold shudder run down my back. I have felt this before. Call it "woman's intuition"; we just know when something isn't right. I walked to the car, still mumbling and grumbling about the meeting, opened the door, tossed my stuff on the seat, pulled my skirt down and slid in. I was wearing a white sleeveless turtleneck; a tan leather skirt and knee high tan leather boots, my blonde hair pulled back in a braid. I flipped my hair back, put the key in the ignition, and turned. The engine cranked away as it usually did, and I feathered the gas pedal lightly, it sputtered away almost catching but to no avail, 15 seconds later I let go of the key. I reached with my booted foot for the floor, pressing the gas pedal firmly down and held it there. I turned the key again. The car came to life with a roar, backfired, and died. I was NOT in the mood for this. I pinned the pedal to the floor once again and turned the key, my fingers in a death grip around it. The engine cranked and cranked away, almost daring its mommy to start pumping. I held my foot down, my boot against the floor like I was just standing on the sidewalk, nothing. "Ohhh youuuuu". I sat back, looking around. No body in sight. I was thinking back to my meeting, a bunch of out of town hot shots, with condescending attitudes, and I was the one who caught the brunt of their male dominance. So with renewed sense of pure female agitation I reached for the key again. I pumped my foot three or four times on the pedal, all the way to the floor and back slowly. I twisted the key, the engine cranked away with absolutely no cooperation. My frustrations from my day were now to be taken out on this car. I started pumping faster and harder, I was accomplishing nothing, the car's motor mocked me with every dry lifeless spin. My booted foot, heel now suspended in the air, was pounding the gas pedal to the floor. "Oh come on you piece of junk" I cursed, "what is wrong with you now". I was furious. I tried once again, my foot pumping up and down, my whole leg bouncing on the seat, my left arm now around the steering wheel, my fingers white with the pressure and grip on the key, I stared at the lights on the dash, glowing red. I pumped faster, my entire body assisting in my pushing the pedal to the floor. I slid up on the seat closer to the wheel, my foot rapidly pressing the gas pedal to the floor, I was no longer pumping in full rhythmic strokes, in fact, my boot was barely lifting off the floor as I slammed it back down again. Thump, thump, thump, thump. The engine just cranked away."I can't believe this" I mumbled as I sat back, my back hurt, my legs hurt, my feet were killing me, trying to make an impression was a good thing, just not in new boots, and now the ultimate aggravation, An empty parking lot, and a car that won't start. I pulled my hair out of the ponytail braid and shook it lose, I reached down and unzipped my boots and peeled them off my sweaty feet. The smell of sweaty leather filled the car. I slid the seat up, now that I no longer had the reach of my boots. I sat, my back against the seat, reached for the key and turned. The engine cranked and cranked. Then with a split second sign of life, it tried to start. I put my now nyloned foot to the floor and started to sit up, pulling myself up with my left hand on the steering wheel with new life. "Oh come on please, please, please," I begged. The engine caught, I pumped coaxing life into it, and pumped some more. My nylons taught around my toes, my toes spreading across the pedal as it hit the floor. Faster and faster I pumped with a gentle bouce as the engine slowly gained more strength. I fluttered my foot lightly on the gas, the engine smoother and smother as it revved to life. I eased my foot up and down on the gas, lightly feeding the engine its life blood. As it sounded smoother, yet not to be deceived I slowly lifted my foot and let it idle. All the while holding my sweaty nyloned foot over the gas pedal. Just in case, well, it died again. I had diverted my focus for just a second, from the car to my briefcase, and chug, chug, chug, chug, SILENCE !

"Damnit" I cursed again. I sat up, held firm on the wheel and the key, planted my nyloned toes on the pedal and pinned it to the floor. I turned the key, a slight cough, a sputter, then dry lifeless cranking once again. I couldn't believe it, I started pumping fast and furious, my butt bouncing off the seat, my toes white through my nylons with each hard contact with the pedal to the floor."Oh,,,,,,,,COME,,,,,,,,,,,ONNNNNNNN!!!" I screamed at the car, "START,,,,,,,,,DAMN YOU,,,,,,,,,,,,,,START!" It was totally obvious the old car wasn't listening. I screamed, it just cranked away mocking me, testing me, provoking me to pump harder and harder, my sore sweaty feet leaving toe prints on the pedal each time I lifted my foot from the pedal. I had tried everything, fast, slow, short, long, holding the pedal down, everything, and nothing I did, did anything, except add to my anger.I sat up once more and turned the key. The engine turned slower than it had been, nervously I pumped faster then I thought I ever had. "No no, no, please come on baby start" I begged whining, "please don't die, please, I want to go home" I pumped and pumped and pumped, thud, thud, thud, thud, my foot and the pedal bounced off the floor. The engine slowed more, I pumped faster, bouncing and bouncing, "C'mon, c'mon, c'mon, go, go, go, go," I whined breathless. The engine rolled one last time, then, CLICK, click, click, click. I released the key, I felt the tears well up in my eyes as I turned the key again, CLICK.I sat back and buried my face in my hands and cried, what an end to a horrible day.Through my tears I reached in my purse for a cigarette. I pushed the cigarette lighter into the dash and would soon light the first of many that night.....

ILpumping
Beginner! Talk to me!

Re: The Day from Hell

Postby ILpumping » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:44 pm

Hi there Lynn. I love the damsel in distress. I wish I could have been there with you and tried to help ;). I know I am late to the thread but do you still have the daily problems?

denisehornsby
Private Dancer (can now PM!)

Postby denisehornsby » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:39 am

Hi,
I came out from a nightclub with a friend last Friday after a great evening. Got in my SL 55,turned the key (Don't like keyless)right stiletto firmly on the gas pedal and car started 1st time as always (or nearly always!!) No messing about with stories!!
Regards,
Denise

ILpumping
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby ILpumping » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:08 am

denisehornsby wrote:Hi,
I came out from a nightclub with a friend last Friday after a great evening. Got in my SL 55,turned the key (Don't like keyless)right stiletto firmly on the gas pedal and car started 1st time as always (or nearly always!!) No messing about with stories!!
Regards,
Denise

Ever have an instance where it didn't start?

Return to “Motoring”