Cranking Cars

chat about all issues involving cars, servicing, help, and tips

Moderator: Silent One

denisehornsby
Private Dancer (can now PM!)

Re: Cranking Cars

Postby denisehornsby » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:49 am

Hi,
I was in the drivers seat. The passenger seat is for the privileged few!! Namely hubby!!
Regards,
Denise X

AnneCook
Devotee

Postby AnneCook » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:58 am

Well said Denise

must catch up some time

ilr1971
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby ilr1971 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:20 pm

denisehornsby wrote:Hi,
I was in the drivers seat. The passenger seat is for the privileged few!! Namely hubby!!
Regards,
Denise X

Lucky hubby 8)

chokelovers
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby chokelovers » Mon May 29, 2017 2:00 pm

Hello,

Long time I waited for signing up again here ! :lol:
Is Margareth still around here sometimes ?
How is Emma 90 and her Mazda 323 doing now ?
Any news about Sarajane and Sarah Smith with the Peugeot 205.

See you, Nathalie

robbieboy8

Postby robbieboy8 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:38 pm

hi Nathalie
I'm still alive here sometimes but I have not herd from the others in ages , whats your car?

jeremy11
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby jeremy11 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:13 pm

chokelovers wrote:Hello,

Long time I waited for signing up again here ! :lol:
Is Margareth still around here sometimes ?
How is Emma 90 and her Mazda 323 doing now ?
Any news about Sarajane and Sarah Smith with the Peugeot 205.

See you, Nathalie

Hi Natalie,

i haven't been on this site for that long but i really enjoyed reading about your posts of struggling to start your old mini which you conveyed so descriptively, as well as those from the other girls. Do you still have it and is it still a struggle to start?

Although I'm now in the latter stages of my mid 30s(!) and based on london, I used to own an old fiat panda when i was at university. I bought it for £500 and it was quite old. For the first year of having it, it was really good and started first time, even in the cold amazingly, but one day in december i had left it on the upper floor of a multistory car park for a couple of days which was right next to the university and it had been raining non-stop all week. On this particular Friday I had been studying late in the evening, giving my flatmates, who were a couple, some ‘space’. As I walked across to the car park and up the external stairwell I got absolutely soaked, got to the car & fumbled with the keys and quickly got in. As usual I put my seatbelt on, put the key in the ignition, pulled the choke out at the way, pressed the pedal a couple of times, turned the key and the engine just cranked. A couple more times: nothing. I gave it a few moments and tried again and started pressing the pedal as I was turning the key and after about 10 seconds, it gave a little pop. Same thing for the next few times until it started to sputter. Choke half way. Try again. Nothing. Choke full out again. Then it started to sputter and pop every couple of moments but wouldn’t quite catch. By this point as you can probably imagine I was feeling some bizarre sensations, so I took a moment to light a cigarette and take a break. Fortunately as it was around 10pm there was no-one else there. So I started cranking again, but being more aggressive with the pedal and I managed to get it started at low revs but died. The engine had no power behind it. Every time I tried starting it, it kept stalling on me and I was getting super frustrated. When it did catch and not die after 5 seconds, I had to keep pumping the pedal quite hard to keep it going. Finally! I reversed out of space and the engine promptly cut out as I put it into first gear but happily it started immediately. I gave it some more power and starting driving up the ramp to the uppermost floor of the carpark where I could turn round and drive down and out. But as I proceeded up the ramp, the car lurched. I just caught it by quickly pulling out the choke (with my foot still on the pedal of course) in desperation and it juddered to a halt just as I was almost at the top of the ramp. I pulled up the handbrake and turned the key. No catch. On the second go it just kept trying to start and would sputter every few seconds. It didn’t matter if the choke was in or half way or out. My car stubbornly refused to start and would only sputter momentarily like it was trying to tease me. After about 10 long goes it finally came to life and I managed to make the 5 minute ride home without any further adverse events and parked in the road opposite our flat.

I have quite vivid memories of my old school teacher struggling to start her car, this was my first experience of having to ‘tame’ my stalling car. The weird thing was I found myself getting really excited by it and the car never really behaved well again after that. It was fine in the cold, but it hated the wet – didn’t matter if it was summer or winter – if it had been raining overnight I never knew whether it would refuse to start and it made me nervous in anticipation as I only drove it when I needed to go somewhere and didn’t use it much at uni.

I let my flatmates girlfriend use it occasionally as we as all lived together sometimes, and she wanted to use it on the Sunday morning to see her friends, but that’s another story. There was also another student girl who lived opposite us with a motorbike and she frequently had problems with it. Didn’t matter if she turned the key or kickstarted, that was always fun to watch from my window.

Anyway, I would really like to share and exchange more stories with you. Do you have an email address where we can share privately as well as on here?

Regards, Jeremy
Last edited by jeremy11 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

chokelovers
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby chokelovers » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:33 am

Hi Jeremy,
Thanks for your story, great !
I still have my old stubborn cars...
You can pm me chokelovers-at-gmx-dot-com
Please tell us about the girlfriend that borrowed your Fiat !
Thanks.

robbieboy8

Postby robbieboy8 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:06 am

Hi Nathalie. Long time no hear from . How are you and how are the cars .

VPV

Postby VPV » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:30 pm

This thread is amazing! But is it still alive?

jeremy11
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby jeremy11 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:50 pm

VPV wrote:This thread is amazing! But is it still alive?

Yes although less than previously. A new story might help! :-)

VPV

Postby VPV » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:27 pm

jeremy11 wrote:
VPV wrote:This thread is amazing! But is it still alive?

Yes although less than previously. A new story might help! :-)

I have an old story from my late teens. My mother had an old Volvo 140 and I used to crank it secretly. This Volvo was mostly reliable but it could be stubborn. One day when I had been alone at home and the Volvo had been standing for about a week, I got out and entered the drivers seat. As always I wore a watch with the face on the inside of my left wrist. I pulled out the choke and turned the key, let the starter go. And it just turned, not a catch or a sputter no matter what I did. The sound of the starter and the shaking of the gear stick made me hard. I kept turning the key, holding it for 40-60 sec every time but nothing. Finally the battery got weak and I had to give up. So this got me into loving long cranking and persistence

jeremy11
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby jeremy11 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:50 am

Does anyone have more recent stories to share?

DDtop
Getting in the Groove

Postby DDtop » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:33 pm

Must get dam hard now with fuel injection/multi coil pack sparking and ECU controlled fuel system/ignition?

Keep turning on one of those and it's an expensive kink washing out the catalyst converter and lamda sensors!
A guy that has "Grown" 42H/44H+ in Primadonna bras!.

elorac
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby elorac » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:52 pm

Bonjour a tous, j'espère que vous comprenez le français je ne sais pas assez l'anglais pour écrire.
Voilà je suis tombé sur ce forum en faisant des recherche sur l’excitation que je ressens quand je démarre ma voiture. J'ai une voiture qui a parfois des problèmes de démarrage. Je ne sais jamais si elle va démarrer du premier essai ou pas. Je suis toujours stressée quand je prend ma voiture ne sachant pas comment elle va démarrer. Si elle démarre du premier essai pas de soucis par contre si je doit essayer plusieurs fois en insistant je suis très tendue mais en même temps assez excitée. L'autre jour , au supermarché, j'ai du me reprendre à plusieurs fois pour réussir à démarrer et quand la voiture à démarré, j'étais frustrée d'avoir réussi. avez-vous aussi ressentit cet état
bonne soirée

jeremy11
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby jeremy11 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:39 pm

What car do you have?
Would be happy to share stories....

quote="elorac"]Bonjour a tous, j'espère que vous comprenez le français je ne sais pas assez l'anglais pour écrire.
Voilà je suis tombé sur ce forum en faisant des recherche sur l’excitation que je ressens quand je démarre ma voiture. J'ai une voiture qui a parfois des problèmes de démarrage. Je ne sais jamais si elle va démarrer du premier essai ou pas. Je suis toujours stressée quand je prend ma voiture ne sachant pas comment elle va démarrer. Si elle démarre du premier essai pas de soucis par contre si je doit essayer plusieurs fois en insistant je suis très tendue mais en même temps assez excitée. L'autre jour , au supermarché, j'ai du me reprendre à plusieurs fois pour réussir à démarrer et quand la voiture à démarré, j'étais frustrée d'avoir réussi. avez-vous aussi ressentit cet état
bonne soirée[/quote]

Return to “Motoring”