has your car ever not started?

chat about all issues involving cars, servicing, help, and tips

Moderator: Silent One

jennyt_21
Beginner! Talk to me!

Re: has your car ever not started?

Postby jennyt_21 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:53 am

What is the deal with all these guys finding it sexual when we're having trouble with our car?
For me, it's the sound of the starter and the catching and sputtering and the fact that you don't know if the car will start. It's just very arousing. I guess this comes from my familys old Volvo, which could be very hard to start

Since I have a thing for hands, I also love to see the hand turning the key. Can I ask if you wear a watch sometimes, and if so, do you wear it left or right, face on the inside or outside of your wrist?

Hey, thanks for the replies - interesting. And a thing for wrists huh - well I do wear an Apple Watch most of the time - left wrist.

VPV

Postby VPV » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:27 am

What is the deal with all these guys finding it sexual when we're having trouble with our car?
For me, it's the sound of the starter and the catching and sputtering and the fact that you don't know if the car will start. It's just very arousing. I guess this comes from my familys old Volvo, which could be very hard to start

Since I have a thing for hands, I also love to see the hand turning the key. Can I ask if you wear a watch sometimes, and if so, do you wear it left or right, face on the inside or outside of your wrist?

Hey, thanks for the replies - interesting. And a thing for wrists huh - well I do wear an Apple Watch most of the time - left wrist.
Interesting, and maybe a bit weird. You need a manual choke so you can't do this with modern cars. And since most people have modern cars, this is quite rare. Yes, a watch kink, especially watches worn with the face on the inside of the wrist. Apple watch, that's cool! Do you wear it facing in or out?

denisehornsby
Private Dancer (can now PM!)

Postby denisehornsby » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:10 am

Hi,
If you think about it this is "a very strange question" There cannot be anyone whom has ever owned or driven a car that has not got it started at some time!! We have all left our lights on or our battery has gone flat due to low use or age. We have "run out of petrol" as I have. Sometimes especially with older cars we might flood the engine or they were a bit temperamental when cold or damp or we don't try hard enough, or they are poorly maintained. I have found that in general a car will always start unless there is something wrong and you will know after two or three tries. When I start my SL 55 it might sometimes take bit longer so I keep the key held over more and press my foot harder down on the gas and if necessary to the floor and it starts!!,
regards,
Denise

VPV

Postby VPV » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:19 pm

Hi,
If you think about it this is "a very strange question" There cannot be anyone whom has ever owned or driven a car that has not got it started at some time!! We have all left our lights on or our battery has gone flat due to low use or age. We have "run out of petrol" as I have. Sometimes especially with older cars we might flood the engine or they were a bit temperamental when cold or damp or we don't try hard enough, or they are poorly maintained. I have found that in general a car will always start unless there is something wrong and you will know after two or three tries. When I start my SL 55 it might sometimes take bit longer so I keep the key held over more and press my foot harder down on the gas and if necessary to the floor and it starts!!,
regards,
Denise
Yes, you're right! It's just a question about wheter you have a kink/fetish for it or not :D When I drove my familys old Volvo 142, I did not use the choke sometimes just to enjoy the sound and the light shaking of the car as I held the key. Do you feel this way about your Mercedes?

denisehornsby

Postby denisehornsby » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:28 am

Hi,
Not really, I like my car to start and it does not have a choke anyway. It starts on the key 99% of the time although I do put my foot on the gas when I crank it in case it needs a bit of encouragement if it takes a second or two longer to fire up, if its been standing a long time. I enjoy controlling the power as it is a 5.5 litre engine and very fast and sometimes I cant resist putting my "right stiletto" hard down on the gas when I am going out socially in the evening especially when there is rock music on the radio!!
regards,
Denise

VPV

Postby VPV » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:23 pm

Hi,
Not really, I like my car to start and it does not have a choke anyway. It starts on the key 99% of the time although I do put my foot on the gas when I crank it in case it needs a bit of encouragement if it takes a second or two longer to fire up, if its been standing a long time. I enjoy controlling the power as it is a 5.5 litre engine and very fast and sometimes I cant resist putting my "right stiletto" hard down on the gas when I am going out socially in the evening especially when there is rock music on the radio!!
regards,
Denise
Hi, thanks for answering! It seems like a wonderful and powerful car, I can truly understand why you like it! Keep on rocking! Perhaps you saw my other question, do you wear a watch sometimes? And if so, do you wear it left or right, face on the outside or the inside? Regards!

denisehornsby

Postby denisehornsby » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:19 pm

Hi strange question.
I wear my watch on my left wrist facing outwards (I am R/handed)
KR,
Denise

VPV

Postby VPV » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:09 pm

Hi strange question.
I wear my watch on my left wrist facing outwards (I am R/handed)
KR,
Denise
Sorry about that, thanks for answering! Apart from cranking, I have a kink for watches worn with the face on the inside, that's why I asked

Morris Minor
High Priestess

Postby Morris Minor » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:04 am

has your car ever not started?
Yes. It didn't start last week. It worked OK again after I recharged the battery.

table
Wet behind the ears

Postby table » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:46 am

Yes , has the Check Engine come on ?

franfran
Angel
Location: Sydney, Australia, at least 1½ metres away from you.

Postby franfran » Tue May 25, 2021 3:47 pm

Yes , has the Check Engine come on ?

My car has a Czech engine.
Sure God created man before woman. But then you always make a rough draft before the final masterpiece.

table
Wet behind the ears

Postby table » Wed May 26, 2021 8:11 pm

Hee hee

franfran
Angel

Postby franfran » Thu May 27, 2021 3:40 am

Hee hee

It's a Skoda.
Sure God created man before woman. But then you always make a rough draft before the final masterpiece.

table
Wet behind the ears

Postby table » Mon May 31, 2021 6:17 pm

Once the Rolls Royce of the communist bloc, now part of VW .Am sure the quality has vastly improved.

During my time in the army stationed in Europe we came to see Easy Germany as modern and efficient as it's junk of a car the Trabant car that was partly held together with glue and the rolling piece of scrap metal called the Yugo as symbolic of the mess called Yugoslavia in the 1990's.

franfran
Angel

Postby franfran » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:45 am

I just checked and, apparently, in terms of total sales in Australia it's ranked at number 19, with 835 sales in February (the most recent month I could find figures for). A long way short of Toyota's number 1 position with 18,375 sales, but it does make Skoda the 5th best selling European car in Australia, behind Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen, BMW and Audi.

Return to “Motoring”