Loose lips sink ships

Area just for our members
C.G.
Goddess

Loose lips sink ships

Postby C.G. » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:50 am

Of course this was the famous WW2 slogan to get people to shut up tattling about what loved ones were doing - what time they were leaving, which unit they were joining etc.

But nowadays it wouldn't work.

I understand there are certain things which cannot be divulged during war games, but now everyone feels they have a right to know. Look at the 'proof' our governments are saying they have about both the Salisbury and Syrian chemical attacks. They SAY they have proof but can't show us it. If they do have proof, chances are that they SHOULDN'T show us it as it may compromise valuable sources and put lives in danger.

But that's not how the world works nowadays is it? Many feel entitled to see that proof; it's endlessly discussed on the internet as to why we are not being shown it.

It seems to me that the genie is out of the bottle here and governments can no longer expect to be so widely believed or trusted. Plus it's a conspiracy theorist's paradise.
There is no wealth but Life - J. Ruskin

C.G.
Goddess

Re: Loose lips sink ships

Postby C.G. » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:07 am

Just imagine it now.....FB status......

' Good luck our Ryan on your new posting at .(insert place)..... !! When you leave tomorrow at (insert time) we'll all be thinking about you. Make sure you kill as many of the b***** Germans as you can when you invade on Thursday at 3 am. Don't forget your Nana loves you and your Auntie Jean has baked you a special cake for your return on Saturday! Hugs from us all, including the cat. Will post picture of cake later. Everyone on the estate is wishing you well babes!''

Who?
Seraphim

Postby Who? » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:09 am

The Salisbury affair highlights political leanings among my friends on Facebook. People that lean to the left are mostly saying it was set up by the British government, whereas people on the right are believing the government. I guess my post about lies and evidence in the other thread would be better placed here, but my point is we rarely seem to know anything with any certainty; and that's a fact!

Who?
Seraphim

Postby Who? » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:12 am

C.G. wrote:Just imagine it now.....FB status......

' Good luck our Ryan on your new posting at .(insert place)..... !! When you leave tomorrow at (insert time) we'll all be thinking about you. Make sure you kill as many of the b***** Germans as you can when you invade on Thursday at 3 am. Don't forget your Nana loves you and your Auntie Jean has baked you a special cake for your return on Saturday! Hugs from us all, including the cat. Will post picture of cake later. Everyone on the estate is wishing you well babes!''

:lol:

Tyler Man United U woz gunna get pissed with us at pub lol have a gud fite dood giv em 1 from me lol

C.G.
Goddess

Postby C.G. » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:14 am

Yeah, that's probably closer to the truth! :lol:

Lucylastic
Goddess

Postby Lucylastic » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:46 pm

If governments expect us to trust us in exceptional circumstances then they must demonstrate they are worthy of that trust by their actions the rest of the time.
Though she be but little she is fierce

C.G.
Goddess

Postby C.G. » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:49 pm

Lucylastic wrote:If governments expect us to trust us in exceptional circumstances then they must demonstrate they are worthy of that trust by their actions the rest of the time.

Absolutely correct.

himerus
Saintly

Postby himerus » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:43 am

"Careless talk costs lives". When I was a kid in wartime London I was desperate to know a secret just so I could not tell anyone about it. :shh:

BeckyTheBest
Just warming up

Postby BeckyTheBest » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:36 pm

himerus wrote:"Careless talk costs lives". When I was a kid in wartime London I was desperate to know a secret just so I could not tell anyone about it. :shh:

Why didn't you just pretend to have one ... nobody would have known you didn't, as long as you didn't reveal what it wasn't!

What part of London were you in? I'd love to hear some of your memories. My father was born in 1941 and my mother in 1943, so neither of them has any coherent memories of life in wartime London. Both my grandfathers died before I was born. I heard a few stories from my grandmothers, and others which have been passed down through the family, but not many.

One of my grandfathers was an auxiliary fireman and had a lot to do during the blitz. I sometimes look at the old photos of the firefighters at work, and wonder if any of them is him.

kinghelfer
Seraphim

Postby kinghelfer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:31 pm

My elderly mother was telling me today about how her mother was a fire warden in Leeds during the war, before taking her two young children ( my mum and my aunt) to Ireland to stay with her mother so they wouldn't be evacuated.

The Quantum Clock. Tells The Time And Doesn't Tell The Time At The Same Time.
Sigma male

KBEES
Wizard

Postby KBEES » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:38 pm

Reminds when Blair came out and told us about his intelligence on Iraq and the reason we went to war. Oh, hold on, they were porkies.
Had he kept that from us we would have been none the wiser. Lesson learnt eh?
I have met someone I cannot live without rather than someone that I can live with.

KBEES
Wizard

Postby KBEES » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:58 pm

BeckyTheBest wrote:
himerus wrote:"Careless talk costs lives". When I was a kid in wartime London I was desperate to know a secret just so I could not tell anyone about it. :shh:

Why didn't you just pretend to have one ... nobody would have known you didn't, as long as you didn't reveal what it wasn't!

What part of London were you in? I'd love to hear some of your memories. My father was born in 1941 and my mother in 1943, so neither of them has any coherent memories of life in wartime London. Both my grandfathers died before I was born. I heard a few stories from my grandmothers, and others which have been passed down through the family, but not many.

One of my grandfathers was an auxiliary fireman and had a lot to do during the blitz. I sometimes look at the old photos of the firefighters at work, and wonder if any of them is him.

Heard many a story from my Grandparents from Mum's side.
Grandfather, was born and living in Battersea and was evacuated to Saunton Sands with one brother and his other brother and two sisters went to Cornwall. That didn't stop them pillaging bomb sites the morning after an air raid. When his dad returned after the war, he was shocked to find he had two incendiary devices on the mantlepiece as ornaments.

Grandmother lived in Earls Court and was not evacuated and lived through the blitz, often down the Tube Station. During the blitz one evening when they were holed up at home, BOOM the building opposite took a direct hit and blew my Grandparents front windows all in. She recalled the sound of doodle-bugs.
Now, Great Granddad on my Mum's side was taken prisoner during WW1 my old Great Grandma went 18 months without knowing if he were dead or alive. He was taken prisoner with an injured leg and was in a POW Hospital and the Germans treated him and others quite well all things considered. My Mum has a photo of him and a dozen of so POWs in the German prison and he is seated as he had a bag leg.
Oh, and rationing for many years after the war. 2oz of cheeses, two eggs, etc etc.
I have met someone I cannot live without rather than someone that I can live with.

Lucylastic
Goddess

Postby Lucylastic » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:40 pm

I'm sure I read once that the rationing that went on for some ten years after the end of the war was unnecessary and was politically motivated. It might have gone on indefinitely in fact.
Though she be but little she is fierce

Winston Smith
Goddess

Postby Winston Smith » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:54 am

Lucylastic wrote:I'm sure I read once that the rationing that went on for some ten years after the end of the war was unnecessary and was politically motivated. It might have gone on indefinitely in fact.

We were financially on our knees after the war until the Marshall Plan kicked in. And don’t forget that the winter of 1947 was one of the worst to ever hit the country.
Those who give up their freedoms for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.

Return to “Members Chit-Chat”