Street harrassment and risk for women

Area just for our members
Julie-Anne
Queen

Re: Street harrassment and risk for women

Postby Julie-Anne » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:32 pm

Can't say I have really experienced this first hand I tend to live/stay in quieter areas, but I think it is definitely an issue that needs tackling. No one should feel uncomfortable walking out.

louise_heels
Duchess

Postby louise_heels » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Agree with that Julie Anne, sadly it's all to common I think. In that situation it's very easy to become fearful imo
x

diana_robertson
M'Lady

Postby diana_robertson » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:33 pm

Queuing for a taxi after a night out can be a bit uncomfortable with drunk guys around making comments and being boisterous

emilycurious
M'Lady

Postby emilycurious » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:52 pm

Chudleigh wrote:America and Finland?

You're slap in the middle Chuds.
What’s it like in Grimsby, Reg?

Cold today, but that makes the Grimsby Harriers perky...
I know how you hate anything that is more then a day old, but get your monocle on this:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/sep/05/violent-crimes-against-women-in-england-and-wales-reach-record-high
“There's a fine line between giving constructive advice and just having a bad personality.” Queen Elysa

Chudleigh
Transcendent Poster

Postby Chudleigh » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:30 pm

emilycurious wrote:
Chudleigh wrote:America and Finland?

You're slap in the middle Chuds.
What’s it like in Grimsby, Reg?

Cold today, but that makes the Grimsby Harriers perky...
I know how you hate anything that is more then a day old, but get your monocle on this:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/sep/05/violent-crimes-against-women-in-england-and-wales-reach-record-high

You know what they say , Reg? There’s Lies, damned lies and statistics.

emilycurious
M'Lady

Postby emilycurious » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:39 pm

They also say ignorance is bliss, Chudders.
“There's a fine line between giving constructive advice and just having a bad personality.” Queen Elysa

Lucylastic
Goddess

Postby Lucylastic » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:49 pm

I walked home from the cinema alone in the dark earlier. No problem. I wouldn't walk across the common at night because I'd be out of sight and out of earshot, but a man would be taking a chance doing that too. I don't walk down narrow side streets with poor lighting if I can help it but the worry is of robbery.
Though she be but little she is fierce

Chudleigh
Transcendent Poster

Postby Chudleigh » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:06 pm

emilycurious wrote:They also say ignorance is bliss, Chudders.

You should know about that Reg. Your article is about internet offences rather than Street harrassement and risk.

Chudleigh
Transcendent Poster

Postby Chudleigh » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:08 pm

Lucylastic wrote:I walked home from the cinema alone in the dark earlier. No problem. I wouldn't walk across the common at night because I'd be out of sight and out of earshot, but a man would be taking a chance doing that too. I don't walk down narrow side streets with poor lighting if I can help it but the worry is of robbery.

The Memsahib said something similar.

emilycurious
M'Lady

Postby emilycurious » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:32 pm

Chudleigh wrote:Your article is about internet offences rather than Street harrassement and risk.

So you see no correlation between men sitting at home behind their computers watching the degradation of women and those doing it on the street?
Thats like pointing out the differences between apples and oranges when we are talking about ALL fruit.
Willfully endemic and convenient myopia.
Men need to recognise there is a problem and they are both the cause and the solution.

C.G.
Goddess

Postby C.G. » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:07 am

Young men are statistically at a higher risk.
There is no wealth but Life - J. Ruskin

Winston Smith
Goddess

Postby Winston Smith » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:25 am

If I am walking behind a woman at night on a deserted street I will always cross over and then overtake so I am keeping a healthy distance between me and her and she can keep me in her sights. I think that only fair as she would not feel comfortable hearing footsteps behind her.
Those who give up their freedoms for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.

Cinderelum
Chat Merchant

Postby Cinderelum » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:59 am

Winston Smith wrote:If I am walking behind a woman at night on a deserted street I will always cross over and then overtake so I am keeping a healthy distance between me and her and she can keep me in her sights. I think that only fair as she would not feel comfortable hearing footsteps behind her.

That's very nice of you. I would certainly appreciate it.

Gaylord_Focker
FF Royalty

Postby Gaylord_Focker » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:41 am

Back in the 80's when I had a long shaggy perm I was walking down the road and a builders van coming from behind tooted me and wolf whistled, then as it passed I heard one of them shout "fook me it's a geezer"

I got my hair cut that afternoon.
Don't ask me about potatoes

Oh, you can milk just about anything with nipples.

louise_heels
Duchess

Postby louise_heels » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:15 am

Cinderelum wrote:Interesting article and comments. I feel for these women as walking is such basic right. My husband and I walk nearly everyday, but I would definitely change the routine if I was single. Shopping malls are generally safe and convenient during inclement weather.

We live and vacation in downtown areas as walking is our priority. But walking late at night is another story - a big no no!

I walk lots of places too but I don't like walking alone after dark at all. When the evenings draw in (like now) is not my favourite time of the year. I guess lots of women (and men for that mater) feel the same?
Lx

Return to “Members Chit-Chat”