Wedding customs

Area just for our members
Victorious1-reborn
Demigod

Wedding customs

Postby Victorious1-reborn » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:22 pm

I saw some 'mother of the groom' wedding paper. Is this paper for giving to the couple or a gift for the mother of the groom?
I am starting to get anxious over my son's wedding. Just the sheer amount of people and all of the pictures that will be taken has me stressed. So I scheduled a facial and manicure/pedicure for the day before the rehearsal dinner.
I hope it is not too overwhelming.
"Fear of Vikings build castles." - Charles Manson

Lucylastic
Goddess

Re: Wedding customs

Postby Lucylastic » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:35 pm

I think it’s for the mother of the groom to receive. But I’m not an expert.
Though she be but little she is fierce

Gobnait
Transcendent Poster

Postby Gobnait » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:55 pm

What kind of paper? I've never seen that but it's been years since I was a bridezilla myself. That's how I came to FF. A friend found it and was trolling pretending she was a bride to be and giving out about the bridesmaids ruining her wedding because they wouldn't do as she was telling them...different things like wanting them all to get their hair cut up short in exactly the same style and colour because she felt it would make her look better. The number of replies she got to that thread were gas.
"you are a troll, only with a somewhat better vocabulary. "

All men are bastards.

A weasel vessel/vassal!

Mac and P
Seraphim

Postby Mac and P » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:59 pm

I saw some 'mother of the groom' wedding paper. Is this paper for giving to the couple or a gift for the mother of the groom?
I am starting to get anxious over my son's wedding. Just the sheer amount of people and all of the pictures that will be taken has me stressed. So I scheduled a facial and manicure/pedicure for the day before the rehearsal dinner.

I am not sure about that, I always thought the mother of the bride had a bigger burden. The groom's family does the rehearsal dinner and groom's cake. I have one nephew who is 25 and no where close to marriage, My youngest is 18 and my oldest is 21 so I have no experience. I will try to research. Good idea for mani and pedic with a facial. I bet you will look beautiful.

Victorious1-reborn
Demigod

Postby Victorious1-reborn » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:21 am

I am not sure about that, I always thought the mother of the bride had a bigger burden. The groom's family does the rehearsal dinner and groom's cake. I have one nephew who is 25 and no where close to marriage, My youngest is 18 and my oldest is 21 so I have no experience. I will try to research. Good idea for mani and pedic with a facial. I bet you will look beautiful.
Thanks! I'm going to have a grooms cake either shaped like a record player w/records or a split window VW Bus. My future DIL has hair and makeup people coming to her house before the ceremony and invited me to be a part of that since I'm in the ceremony. I have my outfits at the tailors being adjusted. The rehearsal dinner is paid for finally. I even ordered purple pumps to go with my purple dress.

Lucylastic
Goddess

Postby Lucylastic » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:09 am

What is a groom's cake?

Gobnait
Transcendent Poster

Postby Gobnait » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:38 am

Pics of your outfit or GTFO. This is the most excitement I've had in my life in an age.

All men are bastards.

A weasel vessel/vassal!

franfran
Angel
Location: Sydney, Australia, at least 1½ metres away from you.

Postby franfran » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:47 am

What is a groom's cake?

New one on me too.....
Sure God created man before woman. But then you always make a rough draft before the final masterpiece.

Victorious1-reborn
Demigod

Postby Victorious1-reborn » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:56 am

Everything to Know About the Groom's Cake

https://www.brides.com/story/things-to- ... rooms-cake

Google Images has tons of examples.

Victorious1-reborn
Demigod

Postby Victorious1-reborn » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:11 am

Pics of your outfit or GTFO. This is the most excitement I've had in my life in an age.

I got the Midnight Violet and a pair of matching pumps

https://roamans.com/products/lace-popov ... 01384.html

For the rehearsal dinner I'm wearing a black pantsuit with an embellished shiny gold top. And new soft sided black pumps.

Lucylastic
Goddess

Postby Lucylastic » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:05 pm

"it was thought the groom should have a cake of his own"

Thought by the National Association of Cake Makers?

"The origin of the groom's cake is from Britain"

And yet I've never seen one or heard of it.

Victorious1-reborn
Demigod

Postby Victorious1-reborn » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:39 pm

They are a thing over here.

Gobnait
Transcendent Poster

Postby Gobnait » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:33 pm

That looks pretty. It's the best of the colours too. What is your hair like normally and how are you having it done for the wedding?

All men are bastards.

A weasel vessel/vassal!

Victorious1-reborn
Demigod

Postby Victorious1-reborn » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:56 pm

I liked it best too. I also liked the champagne color.
I just got my hair cut. It's shoulder length with layering in the front. For the rehearsal dinner I will curl it back with hot rollers all the way around 1980's style. The day of the wedding a hairstylist is going to do it. I will make sure to have it freshly colored in my natural color to eliminate any white streaks.

franfran
Angel

Postby franfran » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:47 am

"The origin of the groom's cake is from Britain"

Now that's weird. I did a Google search for Groom's Cake, with the results to be for UK sites only. Aside from two hits for a site that was a UK clone of a US site (the Contact Us page had an address in California) the only results in the first three pages (I didn't go any further) were for Pinterest.

If the origin of the Grooms Cake is British, I would suggest that its use there was abandoned probably a century or more ago, as there doesn't seem to be any trace of it left now.

Men eat more cake than women, so why not let them finish off the normal wedding cake anyway......
Sure God created man before woman. But then you always make a rough draft before the final masterpiece.

Victorious1-reborn
Demigod

Postby Victorious1-reborn » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:05 am

https://images.app.goo.gl/fGwfZAz43jaQF9NC6

I'm going to get a cake similar to one of these (scroll down). It's for the rehearsal dinner and will have to serve 30-35 people.

Gobnait
Transcendent Poster

Postby Gobnait » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:57 am

The groom's cake is definitely a recent American construct. From when I learned to read which was pretty early on until the last ten years I've read between one and six books daily and while I've forgotten more than I remember, I do know I haven't forgotten hearing about such a thing as a groom's cake.

Traditionally, the groom's cake is a gift from the bride to the groom. In fact, it is a tradition that dates back to the Victorian era, when brides would surprise their husbands with a special cake alongside their main cake.

Does the mother of the groom give the bride a gift?

The mother of the groom traditionally brings a small gift to the bridal shower. When it comes to the wedding itself, the mother of the groom can give the bride a more sentimental gift, like a family heirloom, to officially welcome her into the family.

This comes closer to admitting it than any other that it's all a pile of bakery shite talk.

The Last Bastion of Gentility

Though practically unheard of in England today the antiquated custom of the groom’s cake has somehow managed to survive in the American south. Today the traditional fruitcake is generally replaced by something chocolatey, dense, and decadent, and is decorated to represent the groom’s interests or hobbies. The custom of boxing up cake for the spinsters among us has also survived in the form of cake passed out as wedding favors. But fear not, instead of a pointed reminder of your loneliness, these favors are now passed out indiscriminately among the guests.

My contemporary interpretation of a groom’s cake has both chocolate, booze, and black coffee, but try as I might I still haven’t found a way to incorporate the cigars.

Did Prince William really have a groom's cake of chocolate biscuit cake or is that just some trying to drum up business bakery's fairy tale wedding story?

A groom's cake is a wedding tradition originating in Victorian England[citation needed], but observed more often in the modern age in the American South.

Complete and utter made-upness. Don't cop for it, Vic. I like the record player. It reminds me of my teen years except the one we had in the common room in school was blue.

All men are bastards.

A weasel vessel/vassal!

Victorious1-reborn
Demigod

Postby Victorious1-reborn » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:16 am

I have already committed myself. The record player cake is because my son is a vintage vinyl album collector. He also DJ's on occasion and is known by his peers for a radio show he used to do. The cake will make him smile, and it's his wedding so.....

Gobnait
Transcendent Poster

Postby Gobnait » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:46 am

I have already committed myself. The record player cake is because my son is a vintage vinyl album collector. He also DJ's on occasion and is known by his peers for a radio show he used to do. The cake will make him smile, and it's his wedding so.....

I'll ask the crass question. How much will such a cake cost over yonder in those not so United States of America?

All men are bastards.

A weasel vessel/vassal!

franfran
Angel

Postby franfran » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:14 am

We just had a fairly ordinary fruitcake with marzipan and icing......

Victorious1-reborn
Demigod

Postby Victorious1-reborn » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:45 pm

I'll ask the crass question. How much will such a cake cost over yonder in those not so United States of America?
I was quoted $45 over the phone. And that includes extras- like the record having the Grateful Dead symbol on it plus other personal details.

Lucylastic
Goddess

Postby Lucylastic » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:45 pm

The price sounds reasonable. It always amuses me that there was a ‘Victorian’ era in the US. A lot of wedding customs like the groom proposing on one knee seem quaint to us here.

Gobnait
Transcendent Poster

Postby Gobnait » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:01 pm

That sounds like a bargain for what you're getting. You'd pay more than that for a plain square or round fresh cream cake of a comparable size decorated with chocolate flakes and some strawberries dotted round the edges. That's a lot of work put into it for only that. Are you sure you got the right end of the stick about the price?

All men are bastards.

A weasel vessel/vassal!

Victorious1-reborn
Demigod

Postby Victorious1-reborn » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:27 pm

I found a small businessman getting started. I was shocked by the lower price as well. I made sure he understood what I wanted. I told him I would pay extra for awesomeness just in case there was a misunderstanding. He knew what a Groom's Cake was and seemed eager to do it. He said the Grateful Dead emblem on the record would be a photo print. The example cakes on his website were nice. Have my fingers crossed- maybe I should compare with other baker's prices.

Gobnait
Transcendent Poster

Postby Gobnait » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:12 am

Maybe he's using your cake as a loss leader.

All men are bastards.

A weasel vessel/vassal!

Lucylastic
Goddess

Postby Lucylastic » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:26 am

I can imagine the groom's cake would be done almost at cost as an advertisement aimed at getting the main cake next time.

Victorious1-reborn
Demigod

Postby Victorious1-reborn » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:14 pm

The rehearsal dinner is being held at a well known high end hotel dinning room famous for having large expensive gatherings. "Swanky" as my son calls it. I think the baker may see this as an exposure opportunity to a sought after demographic of customers. He is also going to deliver it, introducing him to party planning staff that could possibly give him referrals in the future.

Victorious1-reborn
Demigod

Postby Victorious1-reborn » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:00 pm

The wedding color my DIL chose is black. So it's a black wedding. Her bridesmaids are wearing black too I think. I'm going to wear black finger nail gel to 'represent' lol Not what I would have chosen of course. But it's going to be a grand time for sure.

Lucylastic
Goddess

Postby Lucylastic » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:36 pm

When are the big days?

Victorious1-reborn
Demigod

Postby Victorious1-reborn » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:47 pm

The rehearsal dinner is on September 30th at the hotel where they booked a block of suites for the event.

The wedding and reception is October 1st at what used to be the town sawmill and Inn. It abuts right up to the river and city park. It is now converted as a venue for weddings and parties. The ceremony will be held outside in a garden area. It's all very lovely. Our event will be held in the old carriage house. I remember when the property was a city owned historical museum that my class took fieldtrips to (before the sale and conversion).

Return to “Members Chit-Chat”