What are you planting in your gardens this year?

Area just for our members
Victorious1-reborn
Regent Empress

What are you planting in your gardens this year?

Postby Victorious1-reborn » Fri May 22, 2020 4:26 am

I am planting mostly from seed. Peas, beans, squash, onions, lettuce, chard, cauliflower, jalapeno peppers , radishes, and melons. Maybe some marigolds to keep the bunnies and deer at bay. I have hanging baskets of geraniums I nursed over the winter. Gonna keep it simple this year.
"Fear of Vikings build castles." - Charles Manson

Winston Smith
Goddess

Re: What are you planting in your gardens this year?

Postby Winston Smith » Fri May 22, 2020 8:27 am

What garden? Would that you be so smug about possessing one.
Those who give up their freedoms for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.

Oscars Mum
Wet behind the ears

Postby Oscars Mum » Fri May 22, 2020 8:54 am

Victorious1-reborn wrote:I am planting mostly from seed. Peas, beans, squash, onions, lettuce, chard, cauliflower, jalapeno peppers , radishes, and melons. Maybe some marigolds to keep the bunnies and deer at bay. I have hanging baskets of geraniums I nursed over the winter. Gonna keep it simple this year.

I haven't really got much of a garden so I'm planting in pots. Just done a few herbs and some annuals so far. I'm hoping to extend things next year.
'Happiness is found when you stop comparing yourself to other people'

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains un-awakened" Anatole France.

Lucylastic
Goddess

Postby Lucylastic » Fri May 22, 2020 9:10 am

French beans, runner beans, broad beans, a potato, courgettes, tomatoes, chillies, peppers, cosmos, zinnia, cornflower, California poppies, sweet peas, butternut squash, basil, thyme and sage. There are obviously perennials in the garden, but that's what I've grown from seed.
Though she be but little she is fierce

Oscars Mum
Wet behind the ears

Postby Oscars Mum » Fri May 22, 2020 9:19 am

Lucylastic wrote:French beans, runner beans, broad beans, a potato, courgettes, tomatoes, chillies, peppers, cosmos, zinnia, cornflower, California poppies, sweet peas, butternut squash, basil, thyme and sage. There are obviously perennials in the garden, but that's what I've grown from seed.

do you grow any of these in pots? I'd like to have a more productive garden but I would have to do it in pots? No idea where to start?
'Happiness is found when you stop comparing yourself to other people'

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains un-awakened" Anatole France.

Lucylastic
Goddess

Postby Lucylastic » Fri May 22, 2020 9:35 am

Oscars Mum wrote:
Lucylastic wrote:French beans, runner beans, broad beans, a potato, courgettes, tomatoes, chillies, peppers, cosmos, zinnia, cornflower, California poppies, sweet peas, butternut squash, basil, thyme and sage. There are obviously perennials in the garden, but that's what I've grown from seed.

do you grow any of these in pots? I'd like to have a more productive garden but I would have to do it in pots? No idea where to start?

Almost everything apart from the sweet peas is in a pot. Beans are a great place to start. I use 35cm pots (measured across the top). We are still within the planting season for climbing French beans and runner beans. I plant six in a pot, which is way over-planted but the root system is not extensive and they are fine. I do three pots of each and have plenty to give away. You'd need three long canes pushed into each pot, tied together at the top. Courgettes can still be planted but they do less well in pots. In a bed, one plant would feed a family but in a grow bag I do two or three and have a short season. They use a lot of water in pots. I forgot lettuce. You can grow that in the boxes mushrooms come from in the supermarket. Plant a box every two weeks and you'll have lettuce until autumn. Tomatoes grow well in pots or bags but you'd have to buy plants now. Don't get Moneymaker, look for Ailsa Craig or a bush tomato.

franfran
Angel

Postby franfran » Fri May 22, 2020 11:49 am

I have some lettuce and kale seedlings to plant out.
Sure God created man before woman. But then you always make a rough draft before the final masterpiece.

Victorious1-reborn
Regent Empress

Postby Victorious1-reborn » Fri May 22, 2020 6:58 pm

Winston Smith wrote:What garden? Would that you be so smug about possessing one.

I'm sorry if you don't have a yard to use. Please forgive me if I have offended you. Flowers,tomatoes, herbs and strawberries can be successfully done in pots if you lack space btw.
"Fear of Vikings build castles." - Charles Manson

Gobnait
Supernatural Poster

Postby Gobnait » Fri May 22, 2020 8:26 pm

Wooden spoon gourds.
"you are a troll, only with a somewhat better vocabulary. "

All men are bastards.

A weasel vessel/vassal!

Lady J 624
Queen

Postby Lady J 624 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:48 am

Victorious1-reborn wrote:
Winston Smith wrote:What garden? Would that you be so smug about possessing one.

I'm sorry if you don't have a yard to use. Please forgive me if I have offended you. Flowers,tomatoes, herbs and strawberries can be successfully done in pots if you lack space btw.

I'm sure Winston could have a place with a garden....but he'd probably be further from the things he likes
Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere.

Lady J 624
Queen

Postby Lady J 624 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:53 am

Garlic went in last year, hardy Russian and elephant.
Cabbage, Brussels sprouts and broccoli just went in.
Onions, shallots, leeks and potatoes (3 kinds, red, all purpose and gold) are next
I'm in the midst of transplanting tomatoes, tomatillos, eggplants and peppers.
We'll also have carrots, pole beans, cukes, summer and winter squash.
My hollyhocks should self seed, I've got zinnias and basil started and I'll plant alysum seeds.
We also have an asparagus and rhubarb patch.
Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere.

Lucylastic
Goddess

Postby Lucylastic » Sat May 23, 2020 9:17 am

The hard winds overnight have snapped some of my beans before they were winding onto the canes. I think they'll be able to recover.

Joyofsox
Cherubim

Postby Joyofsox » Sat May 23, 2020 2:34 pm

We put out some surplus plants for the locals and someone left us some seed potatoes.
We've planted them now.
Otherwise we have lettuce, rocket, radishes, runners, broad and dwarf french beans, sweet corn, carrots, beetroot, peas, tomatoes, zucchini, a pepper, and loads of flowers and things that I don't know.
A bit of an animal.

Lucylastic
Goddess

Postby Lucylastic » Sat May 23, 2020 3:06 pm

I did dwarf French beans one year but realised they took up the same space as the climbing variety while producing fewer identical beans. You did well with the seed potatoes, they’re very scarce.

Chudleigh
Seraphim

Postby Chudleigh » Tue May 26, 2020 8:58 am

I have a small veg patch about 30 sq yd’s...dotted here and there. Jalapeños, various herbs, blackcurrants, rhubarb..gooseberries..onions ...summer greens..garlic...wild garlic...beans..lots of basil and coriander.

Return to “Members Chit-Chat”