Ratty update

Area just for our members
Chudleigh
Transcendent Poster

Re: Ratty update

Postby Chudleigh » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:45 am

Lucylastic wrote:I prefer not to kill them, I just want them to stop stealing the birds' food and lay off the gnawing. They can do what they want in their own garden.

You can use humane traps, I have a few here, but, you then have to get rid of them after. There’s your problem plus, you have to stop them coming in as well at the same time. Your friends are not just going to leave. Act now before they disperse around your whole estate. I prescribe rentokil or an experienced pest control officer, your local authority will have a team available , in order to nip this in the bud as quickly as possible.

Lucylastic
Goddess

Postby Lucylastic » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:21 am

I don't think eradication is feasible. My estate is half the width of a terraced house and is surrounded by dozens of other gardens Google Maps suggests are overgrown. I must make the environment less attractive. London is a constant battle against rats, mice and foxes. I once went away for a weekend only to find when I returned that a fox had dug a hole nearly three feet deep in my raised bed.
Though she be but little she is fierce

Chudleigh
Transcendent Poster

Postby Chudleigh » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:12 pm

Lucylastic wrote:I don't think eradication is feasible. My estate is half the width of a terraced house and is surrounded by dozens of other gardens Google Maps suggests are overgrown. I must make the environment less attractive. London is a constant battle against rats, mice and foxes. I once went away for a weekend only to find when I returned that a fox had dug a hole nearly three feet deep in my raised bed.

Yes I see your point. Secure your perimeter and remove insurgents.

Lucylastic
Goddess

Postby Lucylastic » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:49 pm

There are five of them now. I have rat-proofed the bird table but I can't honestly say I am winning.

Lucylastic
Goddess

Postby Lucylastic » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:50 am

There has been a positive development. It turns out that magpies do not like them. The local magpie spotted one and attacked it with determination, getting in a dozen painful looking pecks. It chased it all the way out of the garden and so far they haven't been back.

Winston Smith
Goddess

Postby Winston Smith » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:11 am

Lucylastic wrote:There has been a positive development. It turns out that magpies do not like them. The local magpie spotted one and attacked it with determination, getting in a dozen painful looking pecks. It chased it all the way out of the garden and so far they haven't been back.

I always thought magpies had few equals when it came to being aggressive, but the other day two landed on the bank of the river outside my flat, near two nesting moorhens. The moorhens went absolutely mental (I think the female had laid eggs) and together they saw the magpies off with a ferocious display.
Those who give up their freedoms for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.

Lucylastic
Goddess

Postby Lucylastic » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:12 pm

I have observed that the other birds in the garden do not like the magpie much. Other bird species seem to get along, particularly the blackbird and the wood pigeon who often sit together but no one likes the magpie. They don't attack him but you can sense he is not popular. Crows and seagulls don't like each other but as they are clever birds they usually have clearly defined territory so they don't meet. I did once see what was nothing less than an aerial dogfight between a flock of crows and a flock of seagulls though. It was impressive.

Winston Smith
Goddess

Postby Winston Smith » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:57 pm

Magpies are arrogant and obnoxious. There is nothing about them that is likeable.
Those who give up their freedoms for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.

Joyofsox
Cherubim

Postby Joyofsox » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:57 am

The songbird population in our garden dropped dramatically when the magpies moved in.
But by the time they had eaten all the eggs they could get to and any unattended nestling, there wasn't much left to plunder so they found another hunting ground.
A bit of an animal.

Lucylastic
Goddess

Postby Lucylastic » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:05 am

The birds here understand the deal with the magpie and build magpie proof nests. One year a pair of collared doves were surveying a site after their regular tree was cut back and they saw the magpie taking an interest in their activities, so they found somewhere else in another garden.

Lucylastic
Goddess

Postby Lucylastic » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:46 am

No sightings since the magpie incident. They are probably developing countermeasures. I expect them to reappear in tiny suits of armour.

himerus
Saintly

Postby himerus » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:01 am

Could you borrow a terrier from someone? I understand that they are very good ratters.

Lucylastic
Goddess

Postby Lucylastic » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:33 pm

A dramatic development today. Ratty appeared for the first time in days and the magpie was on him straight away. He pecked and pecked and Ratty seemed to have no response other than to try to get away but the magpie kept pulling him back by his tail. It was awful to see. Ratty was killed.

Chudleigh
Transcendent Poster

Postby Chudleigh » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:02 pm

Lucylastic wrote:There has been a positive development. It turns out that magpies do not like them. The local magpie spotted one and attacked it with determination, getting in a dozen painful looking pecks. It chased it all the way out of the garden and so far they haven't been back.

Magpies are cruel killers..all eggs and small birds will go. They will take the eyes from lambs. I take pot shots with an air pistol a few times a week to keep them away from the hedges. They don’t overfly my ground very often. They are quick learners.

Chudleigh
Transcendent Poster

Postby Chudleigh » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:03 pm

Lucylastic wrote:A dramatic development today. Ratty appeared for the first time in days and the magpie was on him straight away. He pecked and pecked and Ratty seemed to have no response other than to try to get away but the magpie kept pulling him back by his tail. It was awful to see. Ratty was killed.

An interesting development but magpies will not eradicate your rats...i’m With Himerus, you are not going to keep them out. Terriers... and rat catcher...you need advice.

Return to “Members Chit-Chat”