Is it cruel to ride horses?

Area just for our members
C.G.
Goddess

Re: Is it cruel to ride horses?

Postby C.G. » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:23 pm

Winston Smith wrote:I prefer eating them. There is a restaurant in Zurich that does fabulous horse steaks.

Expensive no doubt. We will be in Switzerland next weekend and have mortgaged the house in anticipation.
There is no wealth but Life - J. Ruskin

Elysa
Master Wizard

Postby Elysa » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:32 pm

Yes and no. I have relatives who raise and take good care of horses. I learned to ride when I was a kid. I learned a lot about their ethical treatment. Firstly, I think many horses get "broken in" while too young, and are not given the chance for their skeletons to fully form. In my opinion, that's cruel. Also, riding for sport really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

But, like Mr M was saying, horses definitely benefit from human companionship and close bonds can be formed between horse and human. As long as the horse is fully grown, healthy and has developed a bond with their owner, I think it's ok. They're strong and they can carry a lot of weight, but the fact that there are no Mr. Eds in the world who can say, "piss off, my back hurts today", means a horse will always have an unfair disadvantage.

If they do get ridden, they should only have to carry the person who's nurture them and gained their trust. They need an owner who's knowledgable, empathetic and responsible. They should never be forced to carry someone who's too heavy. If a horse is lucky enough to have an owner like that, I truly think it doesn't hurt them, and giving their owner a ride allows an even deeper connection.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way most of the time. There's too many irresponsible horse owners out there. I truly feel sorry for most of these beautiful animals.

emilycurious
M'Lady

Postby emilycurious » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:05 pm

If you see Kay
Last edited by emilycurious on Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“There's a fine line between giving constructive advice and just having a bad personality.” Queen Elysa

mx6
Master Wizard

Postby mx6 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:43 pm

Of course all these things should be banned! Dogs are bred out of recognition of their wolf like ancestors and made to do unnatural things, cats breed like mad and eat birds, horses were not designed for carrying loads. Cattle have been bred to have huge and unnatural udders. Very few of the animals that we domesticate are in their natural state or lead natural lives.

Of course if we banned them, there would be no reason to breed them and they would soon go the way of the dodo. In our very unnatural world, animals that do not have an economic reason for existing are increasingly at risk, if we also eliminate those that do have some economic reason in the grounds that our use of them is cruel or unnatural then we are headed for a pristine planet devoid of life except those remnants of our species who somehow survive and a few cockroaches. Bring it on guys!

himerus
Saintly

Postby himerus » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:41 am

I have never ridden a horse. I did ride a camel once, and a particularly ill tempered beast it was too.

mx6
Master Wizard

Postby mx6 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:51 pm

himerus wrote:I have never ridden a horse. I did ride a camel once, and a particularly ill tempered beast it was too.

Add camels to the list. They need to become extinct too!

Lady J 624
Princess

Postby Lady J 624 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:47 pm

mx6 wrote:
himerus wrote:I have never ridden a horse. I did ride a camel once, and a particularly ill tempered beast it was too.

Add camels to the list. They need to become extinct too!

You're just so friggin optimistic Max :roll:
"I love it when a plan comes together."

Gobnait
Supernatural Poster

Postby Gobnait » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:13 pm

ext13 wrote:is it true that women tend to have orgasms while riding ?

Absolutely, most frequently when thinking of what a good ride the horse is compared to mere chaps. Sleek shiny muscled beings with no difficulty carrying my weight. What's not to cum about?

It's not cruel to ride horses as long as people are sensible about the process, which they used to be when your horse meant your life. Taking anything to an extreme is always going to cause problems. Unless things have changed radically a person looks after their horse or horses before they look after themselves. Horse-riding is one of the ultimate pleasures in life.

According to J.T. Edson and Louis L'Amour horse thieves were always strung up when caught in the US because a man's horse was his life. If someone robbed your horse and you were 100 odd miles from water or some sort of civilisation then they had as good as murdered you. This I could understand from my one and only pair of cowboy boots back in the 70s. Murder to walk in. Apparently, that is why stealing a car in the US carried the same penalty as murder at one time - GTA. I don't think it does anymore.

People who eat horse should be put in front of a firing squad and shot. Same with dog or cat. Actually, if the people who ate horse meat had seen the poor creatures it came from then they'd vomit their 'classy' dinners up. Where do old horses get sent to die? The horse abattoir. There was one in the village I lived in during my teens which had a long straight avenue up to the factory buildings. It always made my eyes fill up when I'd see a refrigerated lorry passing a lorry load of horses on the drive.

Horses are beautiful wonderful magical creatures full of personality although my sister's horse, when she was a teenager, was a malevolent possessed vicious bundle of teeth, hooves and murderous intent. My father was rightly gypped when he bought her. She was beautiful but she hated everyone. I've never been scared of any horse or animal but she earned my fear. On one occasion and one occasion only I tried riding her before I realised what she was and I have never been so fucking scared in all my life. She did everything possible to unseat me and each time she'd turn her head around to look at me and give me such a wicked glare. The only reason I stayed on her back was that I knew that if I ended up on the ground either by my own volition or hers that I was dead. I ended up staying on her back for an hour or more locked in literally a death struggle with the bloody beast before someone realised that I hadn't appeared back at home and something must be wrong and came looking for me. I was sore the next day. The only other time that I touched her was a week or so later and my dad asked me to give him a hand with her while the blacksmith shod her. She concentrated on trying to kill my father that time after making an attempt on the blacksmith's/farrier's life. She only roughed me up a little. That blacksmith refused to return and try and do the job again. We had to get another one. My sister after a while was always scared of her but the mare would let her do for her and ride her, almost like she knew that she needed one human for service but she didn't have to like her or treat her kindly. She, the horse, acted like she was a Roman noble or plantation owner dealing with the lowest of field hands. Another time my mother was trying to get her into the horse box and she broke all her fingers, on one hand, trying to control the bloody creature. Never met a horse like that before or after.
"you are a troll, only with a somewhat better vocabulary. "

All men are bastards.

A weasel vessel/vassal!

Winston Smith
Goddess

Postby Winston Smith » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:02 pm

I will continue to eat horse whenever I get the opportunity to do so. So sue me Gobby. :mrgreen:
Those who give up their freedoms for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.

Gobnait
Supernatural Poster

Postby Gobnait » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:43 pm

Winston Smith wrote:I will continue to eat horse whenever I get the opportunity to do so. So sue me Gobby. :mrgreen:

I would expect no less of you, Winston. My cunning plan is working! *smug grin*
"you are a troll, only with a somewhat better vocabulary. "

All men are bastards.

A weasel vessel/vassal!

mostirreverent
Angel

Postby mostirreverent » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:45 am

C.G. wrote:I increasingly think it is. I''ve just seen a very fat man riding a horse. It doesn't seem right.

I often wonder the same. When I've done it, I alway got a large horse.
"I haven't a particle of confidence in a man who has no redeeming petty vices."
Mark Twain

"A place for everything, and everything all about the place."
Mosti

Me in the Flesh Redux

mostirreverent
Angel

Postby mostirreverent » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:47 am

Yes, and those big ropes in gym class
"I haven't a particle of confidence in a man who has no redeeming petty vices."
Mark Twain

"A place for everything, and everything all about the place."
Mosti

Me in the Flesh Redux

BeckyTheBest
Just warming up

Postby BeckyTheBest » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:27 pm

Well, what do you expect to happen when you've got seventeen hands between your legs? Duh!

But ... the answer to the question in the thread title ... it all depends HOW you ride them. Riding is not cruel in and of itself ... but it is possible to ride a horse cruelly.

(And yes ... I do have horses ... but I'm getting on in years myself and haven't ridden in a while ... )

Chudleigh
Transcendent Poster

Postby Chudleigh » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:05 pm

I remember just up the lane from me here... as a small boy from the age of 6. I used to visit a sheltered field where there lived an old pony called Jesse. He was stiff and slow moving. It turned out that he had been a pit pony in the “big pit” in Blaenavon and by a fluke and because of illness had been removed , he ended up not going back and surprisingly not being destroyed. I used to walk up the lane with my dog almost every day and take him a carrot or an apple. As time went on and I got into my teens he was so slow but he used push his head against me and frisk me for polos and apples. He was a lovely old lad. I used to scratch his ears and my dog would walk with him in the field. Then one day ..I was about fifteen, I went to the field and Jesse wasn’t there. I looked all around ...not there...I walked down the old farm and Mr Saunders told me that he had sent for the vet that morning and had him put to sleep... he then added, I didn’t just give him up to the knacker man son, that wouldn’t have been right. My distress must have shown on my face he put his hand on my shoulder and said remember him as he was... he’d had his day, you were good to him and knew who you were. I broke my heart. My old dog died when I left home too.I felt afterwards that I had abandoned her . To this day I still dream about both of them. I am deeply moved by neglect and cruelty to animals.

Lucylastic
Goddess

Postby Lucylastic » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:17 pm

There is a road on the Isle of Wight which is named after a donkey who lived in a field next to it for decades.
Though she be but little she is fierce

Return to “Members Chit-Chat”