Breaking up with someone because they smoke?

The place to introduce yourself. A place to go if you just want a natter. Come in and chat away!

Breaking up with someone because they smoke?

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:14 am

When i met my BF he smoked socially (at the pub and only then) but has now started to smoke all the time and his flat stinks and he smells too, i really hate smoking and am seriousl think about braking up with him now, but wondering if its a good enough reason?

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:56 pm

No.

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:04 pm

er Yes, why the hell would you want to go out with someone he is basically killing themself- its selfish

Like you say, people who smoke stink and they only usually do it as they have low confidence.

Get him dumped and find someone with a brain who realises that smoking is actually bad.

Tina TV
Master Wizard

Postby Tina TV » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:04 pm

As a lifelong non-smoker I can say it's absolutely horrible to kiss a smoker. I avoid doing it if at all possible. Even if you just spend a night with them your clothes reek in the morning.

Smoking is an excellent reason to quit someone.

There's no chance of a long term relationship anyway and do you really want to stay around and watch them die of cancer.

keeley
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby keeley » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:44 pm

It is a difficult situation. I've been with my boyfriend for 3 years, and when we started seeing each other he was a smoker, but wanted to stop. EVENTUALLY he managed, and a couple of days ago I found out he's been having a couple a day on the sly. But the smell is so manky, I've voiced my complaints!

I suppose it depends how much you like the guy in comparison to how much smoking annoys you.

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:38 pm

I've lost a cousin, two uncles, and my mother (when I was 9) due to cancer - caused by tobacco.

I've consequently always avoided any relationship with someone who smokes.

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:53 pm

er Yes, why the hell would you want to go out with someone he is basically killing themself- its selfish

Like you say, people who smoke stink and they only usually do it as they have low confidence.

Get him dumped and find someone with a brain who realises that smoking is actually bad.
You are so full of S*** it's untrue.

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:14 pm

I just dumped my gf of 3yrs coz she smoked; I initially tolerated smoke being everywhere around the flat even though i hated it. But it just got too much when my asthma got progressively worse and my doctor said I was inhaling so much cigarette smoke I may as well have been smoking. I tried telling her to stop blowing smoke at me at all the time but she ignored me so I threw her out.

I hope the b**** dies of lung cancer.

Bomo_Sammo
Chat Merchant

Postby Bomo_Sammo » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:39 pm

I can't believe you've stuck with it in the first place if you are a non-smoker.

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:57 pm

you knew he smoked when you got together so what is the problem if he smokes in his own flat?? If you lived together then I understand you would be entitled to ask him not to smoke in the flat.
As for him stinking then tell him.

And for those who have never faught a smoking addiction (I smoked for years socially and recently gave up) it's not that people who smoke are dumb (most of my university friends smoked) but people start smoking for all sorts of reasons and it becomes very difficult to give up so mabe try not to be so narrow minded (oh, and some people enjoy smoking, just as others enjoy a drink).

Rags
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby Rags » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:12 am

my fiance was a fairly heavy smoker six months ago. but i had quit after a short and very foolish period of smoking, and it upset me to see him doing it. im also asthmatic which obviously adds to the issue. i didn't ask or expect him to quit on my account, yet he swore to me that he would stop.. cold turkey! i said i didn't expect him too have to stick to that, but he has. six months later, through unbearable cravings, and less than supportive friends, neither of us have touched a cigarette.
just want to say now, TK, im so proud of you! Love you loads! x x x
:wink:

cuteaa

Postby cuteaa » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:21 pm

if he cares about you enough, tell him how you feel about it , and he will give up smoking for you.

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:45 am

I once beat up someone because they smoked, so yeah I'd break up with someone because they smoked. It's loutish.

Leeyah

Re: Breaking up with someone because they smoke?

Postby Leeyah » Sat May 04, 2019 11:05 am

Browsing about dealing with a bf who smokes. I recently move in with my partner and all goes well except when he goes out and smoke. He don’t smoke at home. Told him how i hate it since day one back when we are only dating. the smell on his breath makes me sick. I don’t mind him drinking and . but asked him not to smoke coz my father just recently died from being a smoker. I voiced it out to him and he don’t seem to hear me. Don’t think i will be ok with it and now seriously thinking if i stay with him.

light1313
Swami

Postby light1313 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:35 am

If you want to break up, any reason is good enough.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:25 pm

Smokers have every right to kill themselves with heart disease /cancer but not to kill others.Give you're SO an ultimatum it is smoking or you . You will actually be helping him if he quits.

Return to “General Chit-Chat”