barefoot fashion

Female Fashion Articles and Chat

Moderator: Silent One

Re: barefoot fashion

Postby Guest » Fri May 08, 2009 8:18 pm

Before charging you with neglect because your daughters choose to go to school barefoot, the authorities should take a look at my next door neighbour.
Her poor daughter who must be about 12 has been brought up to be a miniture version of her mother. She even has to wear the same clothes as her mother (albeit in a smaller size of course) whenever they go out.
Mother has bleached blond hair, daughter ditto.
Mother has multiple earpiercings and wears one pair of large hoops and three pairs of diamond studs, daughter ditto.
Mother has a pierced nostril daughter ditto.
Mother is bare legged and wears extremely high heel sandals, daughter ditto, despite her young age has been wearing heels vitrually all her life.
One day she confided to my daughter that she would love to have a pair of trainers and be able to run around and play in the park with the other kids but of course she can't in 3" heel sandals.

Now that is surely neglect!

Kate45

Postby Kate45 » Sat May 09, 2009 4:09 pm

Hi Page,

Are you in the UK? I agree I can't see why your daughters should have to wear shoes, if they don't want to.

I know it is'nt ideal, but could they mayme get away with wearing socked feet, and no shoes instead of going barefoot.

I am 22 and wook in Boots as an Assistant. I am supposed to wear shoes in work and could'nt go barefoot. But I usually leave my shoes in my locker and work on the hop floor just in socked feet. I wear trousers in work, so it's hard to tell that I have'nt got my shoes on.

Is this any help at all.

Kate.

Postby Guest » Mon May 11, 2009 8:28 pm

A couple of years ago I was working in barefeet, when my boss turned up unexpectantly. She told me that I was in breach of Health and Safetey and also she felt it was not a good example to both staff and customers. I explained to her that customers did not mind as long as they were getting the service they wanted. As a result I faced a disciplinary and was demoted.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:18 pm

Could Barefoot Susan or someone else who is barefoot give me some advice please.
I would like to go barefoot and have been trying it but I think my feet are far too soft as everytime I do leave my shoes off I encounter a surface such as a gravelled road to cross which is extremely painful.
How can I get my soles hardened so that I can cope with these everyday surfaces?
Any advice gratefully accepted.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:13 pm

Hi

I've been a 24/7 barefooter (from February to October) in the the UK for about 11 years. What I'd reccomend is break your feet in gently. Start by walking on fairly smooth paving slabs to get your feet used to the experience of being barefoot. Places such as City Centres (I walk barefoot around Manchester City Centre most weekends) are great starting places. They give you the confidence to walk in front of people barefoot, and get your soles used to barefoot walking.

Then, try to walk on some normal pavements. You'll find the sensation of tarmac really pleasant under your bare soles. Tarmac tends to be quite dusty and is a fair bit coarser than paving slabs, and your feet will begin to toughen very quickly. From tarmac try move on to rougher surfaces and you'll soon find that you can walk over most surfaces easily. Keep an eye out for big stones, they still twinge a little for me, and you'll be fine.

Persevere and keep at it, being barefoot really is great! Good Luck!

Barefoot Susan
Getting in the Groove

Postby Barefoot Susan » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:18 pm

[quote="Guest"]Could Barefoot Susan or someone else who is barefoot give me some advice please.
I would like to go barefoot and have been trying it but I think my feet are far too soft as everytime I do leave my shoes off I encounter a surface such as a gravelled road to cross which is extremely painful.
How can I get my soles hardened so that I can cope with these everyday surfaces?
Any advice gratefully accepted.[/quote]
Hi and welcome to the barefoot world.

I will do my best to advise you but having been braefoot for most of my life cinditioning my feet is not something I've really had to do.
I usually liken my soles to soft leather mocassins and they have been like that for many years.
I fully support the advice given in the earlier reply. Whenever possible walk on hard surfaces such as smooth paving slabs. If the slabs are hot from the sun so much the better so long as they are not unbearable hot to blister your soles. You will gradually find that you can cope with rougher surfaces without discomfort.
Every time you walk on soft surfaces (such as carpet) you are helping to undo the conditioning so avoid it whenever possible.
This may seem strange advice when you are trying to go barefoot, but buy yourself a pair of sandals with a hard footbed such are wooden soled Scholl sandals or even better flip=flops with a hard leather base (certainly not the rubber or plastic variety). Wear these when you have to go on surfaces like carpet so your feet are still on a hard surface. They are also useful to carry in your bag to slip on when you have to walk on a surface which is too rough for you to cope with in your early weeks.

Now for the downside of going barefoot! Bare feet are unconstrained and can therefore spread. Don't be surprised if come winter your shoes don't fit. Bare feet need regular checking as tough soles can easily pick up small pieces of sharp gravel etc. without you realising it which if left can work their way in and cause trouble. My daughters check each others feet every evening. I check mine about once a week.

You also need to decide what you will do when winter comes. If you go back into shoes you will have to repeat the conditioning process next spring. Going barefoot throughout the winter needs a fair degree of determination as although its not particularly uncomfortable everyone around will think you are mad!

Good luck and let me know how you get on.
Feel free to ask any more questions.

Susan

Julia K-S

Postby Julia K-S » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:54 pm

Hi everyone,
I've realised that it's quite a while since I posted.
I'm still going barefoot virtually all of the time. As everyone in the UK will know the last winter was fairly cold and there were a few days when there was quite a lot of snow and I had to resort to wearing shoes (thankfully I still have a pair) and some extremely cold days when I wore sandals as I felt the need for some insulation from the freezing pavements.
At work I'm still the barefoot boss. I now have to go to meetings at Head Office fairly regularly and on the first occasion I wore my stiletto sandals and the bosses reaction was surprise and I was asked whether I had stopped being barefoot so from then on I went to HO barefoot too. They are more interested in my work performance than whether I wear shoes.
How are all the other barefooters getting on???

marby
Demigod

Postby marby » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:07 pm

Who can walk barefoot over hot coals? :P :P
[url=http://www.theweddingticker.com][img]http://www.theweddingticker.com/ticker/30384.png[/img][/url]

Zoe12

Postby Zoe12 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:38 pm

Hi Julia,

Great to see you back, hope you are keeping well?

I am still going barefoot all the time, and have'nt gone back to footwear of any type.

Like you my employers are now used to me going barefoot all the time, and don't mind. I am now running a larger branch with more staff so as you say they are obviusly more interested in my performanve than my going barefoot all the time.

It would be great to hear from you again,and to compare experiences.

Best wishes

Zoe.

soulmercer7

Re: dirty feet pictures

Postby soulmercer7 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:43 am

Hi
Great to hear from you.
hope the moving house went well.
its been great wintert here realy, but cold on odd days. Im still going barefoot all the time. had me uncle in hospital for a week went barefoot to visit people and staff looked and wounder why but hay nerver mind. Yep I have photos of my dirty feet if you would like to see them, would ove to see pixtures of your dirty feet. hope to see picture posted soon will post mine soon

hope to hear soon
ZOE

Hi Zoe

Where did you post your pictures? Thanks!

Maggie V

Postby Maggie V » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:47 pm

I' started going barefoot in my mid-teens (how and why is a somewhat long story) and although I'm certainly not a committed 24/7 barefooter I still - in my 70's - prefer being barefoot to wearing shoes.
My aunt who got me started going barefoot is well into her 80's and is barefoot most of the time.

Barefootlondongirl

Postby Barefootlondongirl » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this website, I'm from
Cornwall but have recently
moved to London and I love being barefoot. I'm 21 and need a job somewhere that allows me to be barefoot any suggestions?? Also are there any other females barefoot around London?

Katia x

ps London is sooo filthy! Do any of u end up with black feet after being barefoot?!

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:19 pm

Before charging you with neglect because your daughters choose to go to school barefoot, the authorities should take a look at my next door neighbour.
Her poor daughter who must be about 12 has been brought up to be a miniture version of her mother. She even has to wear the same clothes as her mother (albeit in a smaller size of course) whenever they go out.
Mother has bleached blond hair, daughter ditto.
Mother has multiple earpiercings and wears one pair of large hoops and three pairs of diamond studs, daughter ditto.
Mother has a pierced nostril daughter ditto.
Mother is bare legged and wears extremely high heel sandals, daughter ditto, despite her young age has been wearing heels vitrually all her life.
One day she confided to my daughter that she would love to have a pair of trainers and be able to run around and play in the park with the other kids but of course she can't in 3" heel sandals.

Now that is surely neglect!
My mother did the same to me as well and I have been wearing heels for as long as I can remember.

I did have respite at my infant and primary schools as heels were banned but if I was going out with my mother, even for shopping, then I always wore heels. Until I was about 8 they were not very high but often had a narrow heel so I did have to be careful wearing them.

I remember travelling to Salisbury one day when I was eight. The train was really crowded and we had to stand for about 1 ½ hours. I was wearing some black strappy sandals for the first time and with the highest narrow heels I had ever worn and I was finding them challenging to walk in and my feet were really sore by the time we reached Salisbury. The following day she gave me the same sandals to wear and I begged her for lower heels but when she told me they were the only ones she had bought for me I cried my eyes out.

I was usually allowed to wear my school shoes or trainers when out playing with my friends but knee socks and bare knees was the rule when wearing them. When I was nearly 11 I got some lace up shoes with a small block heel and getting fed up with the bare knees rule. I quickly found out that I could do most of the same things as my friends with these shoes and wear jeans so I pretty well lived in these shoes until school

I went out with my best friend's parents and her sister quite often and I was always required to wear heels. Their parents were very restrictive about their clothes and ankle socks didn't come until they were nearly 15 but even then they still found themselves wearing knee socks aged 17. I can imaging how the elder girl felt wearing Start Rite Mary Janes and knee socks when she was 13 whilst 8 year old me was in tights and high heels.

My school shoes disappeared the day I left primary school as did one or two of my lower heels. When I was with my friends I generally wore sandals with about 3 inch heels but if I left in a hurry I slipped on some courts which were a bit higher but I still had the block heels so I could still play with my friends. Those were the lowest heels I had but my mother always made me change into mu h higher heels with her.

My secondary school did not have any rule regarding heels and many of the elder girls tried to out heel each other. Some of the first year girls wore small heels but nothing like mine. For the first few weeks I wore boots with 4 inch block heels and trousers. My feet got a little sore at first but not for long. Soon after this came some shoes with even higher heels. As I usually wore these with a skirt everyone found out how high my heels were and not many of the girls had higher heels without a platform.

My mother was very careful and frequently checked that my shoes were not too small and my lowest heels were deemed too small not long after I started secondary school and, not for the last time, found myself without heels lower than about 4 inches. I was now like your neighbour and often unable to play with my friends in my heels.

Paula1215

Postby Paula1215 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:58 am

Hi Katia,

Great to hear from another barefooter!!

Do you go barefoot all the time or do you wear shoes sometimes?

What type of job are you looking for?

I think you would probably be able to go barefoot in a lot of offices, but would proabaly have to wear shoes to and from work and to any interview.

I go barefoot in london a lot, and if you can give a lillle more info will try to ogffer some advice based on my experiences.

Paula.

Yet another barefooter

Postby Yet another barefooter » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:02 pm

Try anywhere around Camden Lock Market; you can usually find barefoot people there and there are lots of small shops to choose from in what is Britain's biggest alternative market.

London usually gives me black feet, but because there had been so much rain last weekend they hardly even turned grey! But if you go on the Underground, the dirt you accumulate feels like an extra layer of sole!

Good luck with the barefoot jobhunting!
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this website, I'm from
Cornwall but have recently
moved to London and I love being barefoot. I'm 21 and need a job somewhere that allows me to be barefoot any suggestions?? Also are there any other females barefoot around London?

Katia x

ps London is sooo filthy! Do any of u end up with black feet after being barefoot?!

Return to “Fashion & Beauty”