barefoot fashion

Female Fashion Articles and Chat

Moderator: Silent One

sky_sissy
Advocate

Re: barefoot fashion

Postby sky_sissy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:17 pm

Anyone going bare foot in the uk right now or over the last few months would likely be insane .. or have a condition where they couldn't feel temperature! :lol: Its below freezing often in evenings and night now and just a few degrees above freezing in daytime often.

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:17 am

Anyone going bare foot in the uk right now or over the last few months would likely be insane .. or have a condition where they couldn't feel temperature! :lol: Its below freezing often in evenings and night now and just a few degrees above freezing in daytime often.
agree

KiltyCol
Heroine

Postby KiltyCol » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:50 am

TRUE!
Music is the food of love.

shrimper
Chatter

Postby shrimper » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:02 pm

Barefoot is NOT fashion!?!?!! Barefoot is a lifestyle choice, fashion is what you WEAR on your feet.

Barefoot Susan
Getting in the Groove

Postby Barefoot Susan » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:55 pm

Having gone barefoot in the UK for virtually all my adult life and a lot of my childhood as well I think I am qualified to say that yes you can go barefoot here during the winter. The human body is an amazing thing and it can get used to many things including legs and feet being exposed to the cold. I can honestly say that I don't notice that my feet are cold however I do take precdautions in freezing weather including keeping on the move and watching for the first sign of numbness which is a sure indication that I need to get somewhere warmer as soon as possible.
During my adult life I have been barefoot all the time except in extreme cold conditions and very rarely when accompanying my husband to very formal occassions when I have worn high heel sandals.
However, for reasons which I find hard to understand and can't really explain I have recently had a change of attitude and going barefoot has become something I do when I feel like it rather than the 'always must' obsession it was. It started when my husband was sent on a tour of the USA giving talks in various cities to professional bodies and I was asked to go along. Although he has always been extremely tolerant of my bare feet I realised that I would have to wear something on them for this trip. Closed shoes were not an options as I have several toe rings on each foot which have become embedded over many years and I did not want them cut off (the rings not my toes). I therefore decided to wear strap sandals but had problems finding suitable ones because years of going barefoot have allowed my feet to become extremely broad. Eventually I found a pair which was wide enough but thet had a 3" heel. Much to my surprise I found I was very comfortable with the heels so bought them and ordered some more in the same fitting including one pair with 4" heels.
Having spent nearly a month in the States wearing these sandals almost always when out in public I love wearing them and the extra height which they give me and have continued to wear them fairly frequently since we returned. I will still go barefoot when casual apart from in cold weather.

sky_sissy
Advocate

Postby sky_sissy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:40 pm

It was -2 degrees when i went out door this morning and didn't really shift from 0 degrees all day long outside..if you really want to go around bare foot in literally these freezing temperatures then good luck to you, its your choice.. but ure in such a microscopic minority doing so

don't get me wrong, i like bear feet here. i took to wearing open toed sandles in my office working place during the summer (a male at work in an office doing such is uncommon!) But i still think people doing such in 0 degrees are dotty :lol:

Barefoot Susan
Getting in the Groove

Postby Barefoot Susan » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:22 pm

[quote="sky_sissy"]It was -2 degrees when i went out door this morning and didn't really shift from 0 degrees all day long outside..if you really want to go around bare foot in literally these freezing temperatures then good luck to you, its your choice.. but ure in such a microscopic minority doing so

don't get me wrong, i like bear feet here. i took to wearing open toed sandles in my office working place during the summer (a male at work in an office doing such is uncommon!) But i still think people doing such in 0 degrees are dotty :lol:[/quote]

Sure I am part of a very small minority but so what. I don't object to the great majority wearing shoes so why should they object that I -by choice - go barefoot. As a child I always had a strong dislike of wearing shoes and went barefoot at every possible opportunity so my legs and feet have been accustomed to being bare for many years and I really don't get bothered by cold weather. This morning there was a hard frost and I walked to the shops barefoot. On the way back I met a friend who kept me talking for 10 minutes or so so I was standing still on frosty paving slabs and eventually noticed that my soles were getting numb so I made my excuses and moved on. After only a couple of minutes walking everthing was back to normal. Yes I get looks from passers-by and sometimes a comment but I'm used to it and don't let it bother me.

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:17 pm

Hi Barefoot Susan,

Don't know whether you remeber me, but I posted on this a fair bit a while back. You and Julia K-S who used to post here inspired me to go barefoot and I still am. I just thought i would let you know that you are not alone and I have been going barefoot on the frosty pavements as well, with no problems. To me it is certainly much better than wearing shoes!!

Zoe.

Barefoot Susan
Getting in the Groove

Postby Barefoot Susan » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:33 pm

[quote="Guest"]Hi Barefoot Susan,

Don't know whether you remeber me, but I posted on this a fair bit a while back. You and Julia K-S who used to post here inspired me to go barefoot and I still am. I just thought i would let you know that you are not alone and I have been going barefoot on the frosty pavements as well, with no problems. To me it is certainly much better than wearing shoes!!

Zoe.[/quote]
Hi Zoe,
Yes of course I remember you. Good to hear from you and to hear that I am not the only one leaving their shoes behind these frosty mornings.
I haven't posted here much of late as I got fed up with all the posts from people whose one interest seemed to be to insult everyone else and stifle discussion

Susan

shoeless fever
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby shoeless fever » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:05 am

A few years ago when I went barefoot I wore cargo pants, with flip flops in the cargo pockets because if I got rejected I still had shoes with me. I went barefoot more places and rarely faced rejection. I live in Denver where I rarely ever see other people going barefoot except for women walking barefoot after the bars close carrying their high heels.
In 2008 I started going barefoot in places where I never went barefoot before because of these inspiring posts. It is one of the most mood uplifting things that I do. I have been rejected in the mall but I found a store in the mall with an outside entrance that is barefoot acceptable.
An earlier post stated that places with money and culture are more barefoot acceptable in the UK, but I have found that to be true in Denver even though I am the only one. A friend of mine owns a coffee shop and bar and is OK with me coming in barefoot, but in the 3 years that she has owned that bar I have never seen another person come in barefoot. I look forward to seeing more posts.

ui

Postby ui » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:13 pm

What looks good with bare feet? Ankle length jeans are a classic! (Longer than this is unpractical, the legs will slide on the ground and get damaged when you step on them ...) Otherwise, anything "casual" is fine. Perhaps some items of clothing draw attention to your feet more than others, depends whether you want to show or hide them ... it's up to you!

uncle sams sister in law

Postby uncle sams sister in law » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:19 am

If you want your feet to look look why not paint your toenails. I dont often go out completely barefoot in public, but reds blues and purples work for me, and even black if im dressed in dark colours.

A lot of us dont bother doing this but personally I think that if theyre out then they have to look pretty. What do you permanently barefoot girls think of that?

Regards, Sarah x

Barefoot Susan
Getting in the Groove

Barefoot in winter

Postby Barefoot Susan » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:04 pm

Went out to dinner with two friends last weekend.
There had been a fair bit of snow but it had stopped. While we were driving however there was a considerable snowstorm and when we parked the car we had about 400 yards to walk to the restaurant on pavements which had several inches of fresh snow over ice. One of my friends was wearing fur lined ankle boots, the other long fashion boots wit a 3" heel. I was barefoot as usual. Both my companions slipped and fell, one of them several times, I didn't. By the time we reached the restaurant they both admitted that their boots had let in the wet and their feet were cold and very uncomfortable. My feet were cold (which I'm used to and which doesn't particularly bother me) but within a few minutes they had dried off and were nice and warm.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:10 pm

Hi Barefoot Susan,

Good to hear from you again?

You are absolutely right,- as you probably remember I have been going barefoot quite a while now, and continued to do so in the recent snow.

As you say, I did get my feet a little cold, but at least ' was'nt slidding all over the place. Also, as you say they soon dry and warm up again as soon as I am indoors anyway.

What happended to your friends when you reached the resturant, - were they able to remove their boots or did they have to be uncomforatable all evening?

When we had the snow so many people were getting their shoes soaked, it was a relief just to be going barefoot!! I noticed in a few places like banks and office either people going shoeless because their footwear was wet or shoes / boots under radiators!!

Also, a frind of mine said her saughter got her shoes soaked waliking to school in the snow, and as she did'nt have another pair had to wear the same wet or damp shoes to school for several days. I noticed girls walking to our local school in the snow and they must have had soaking shoes and been freezing as they were only wearing really flat mules and stuff.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Zoe.

Barefoot Susan
Getting in the Groove

Postby Barefoot Susan » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:53 pm

[quote="Guest"]Hi Barefoot Susan,

Good to hear from you again?

You are absolutely right,- as you probably remember I have been going barefoot quite a while now, and continued to do so in the recent snow.

As you say, I did get my feet a little cold, but at least ' was'nt slidding all over the place. Also, as you say they soon dry and warm up again as soon as I am indoors anyway.

What happended to your friends when you reached the resturant, - were they able to remove their boots or did they have to be uncomforatable all evening?

When we had the snow so many people were getting their shoes soaked, it was a relief just to be going barefoot!! I noticed in a few places like banks and office either people going shoeless because their footwear was wet or shoes / boots under radiators!!

Also, a frind of mine said her saughter got her shoes soaked waliking to school in the snow, and as she did'nt have another pair had to wear the same wet or damp shoes to school for several days. I noticed girls walking to our local school in the snow and they must have had soaking shoes and been freezing as they were only wearing really flat mules and stuff.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Zoe.[/quote]

Hi Zoe,

No they sat with uncomfortably wet and cold feet throughout the meal.

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:51 pm

i live in the united states, in the cold and wet weather i take off my shoes in the office, my feet are warmer without shoes and a lot more comfortable

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:29 pm

Thank heaven the weather has got a bit warmer and I can go barefoot again.
I hate wearing shoes but I can't quite face going bare foot all through the winter.
I'm OK so long as its above about 8 deg C so I've been able to leave my shoes behnind this week.

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:26 pm

hi
| have 3 daughters and none of the wear shoe they wont even wear shoes to school.
I go barefoot too so would be unfair if I made them wear shoes.

Simon Saint

Postby Simon Saint » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:37 pm

Hi,
I havent posted a comment for sometime, but with in the last week it has been great to finaly go barefoot again after such a cold winter,

Simon.

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:23 pm

I work barefoot year round. No way would I take a job where I had to wear shoes.

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:29 pm

I work barefoot year round. No way would I take a job where I had to wear shoes.
TRAMP
I would politely ask that you withdraw that remark.
You do not know me, where I live or what job I do.
Believe me there is nothing particularly unusual around here to working barefoot.

shoeless fever
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby shoeless fever » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:39 am

I was walking barefoot today and found out, it was colder than I thought it was, because it stated to snow and melt on impact. I walked for over 30 minutes and my feet were never uncomfortably cold, and was surprised how stimulating it felt. It felt so natural that bystanders could care less.

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:23 pm

I spend a good part of my work day barefoot, I do interior design work for a condo builder. The new home owners get to come in my office and select paint colors, carpet colors, counter tops , cabinets ect............

I have never had a client complain about my lack of shoes and several clients will remove their shoes as well when they notice my lack of footware.

Nora

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:53 pm

Hi Nora,

I work for a new home builder in the UK. As the sales office office is based in the show home I usually have my shoes off and have not had any complaints. I am usually in stocking feet rather than barefoot, but I guess it is really the same thing!!

I fine it so much more comfy than having to wear heels all day.

Hope you might relpy.

Kate.

Barefoot Susan
Getting in the Groove

Postby Barefoot Susan » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:06 pm

Not surprisingly both my daughters go barefoot most of the time however, they have always had to wear shoes or sandals for school.
Now they have both moved to a college which has very relaxed dress code and they are able to go barefoot to lectures. The college has asked that they wear footwear if they are on work experience or similar occasions when they are representing the college but otherwise its up to them whether or not they have anything on their feet.

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:34 am

hi susan

At what age did you daughters start walking barefoot, and did they go to and from school bafoot as my two daughters are going barefoot all the time out of school my youngest oldestes started to wear shoes to school but stoped a week in to the tearm and has never warn any shoes to or from school and even at school but takes some with her. my youngest started school barefoot and never wears shoes.
They both say that they have been asked to put shoes on their feet but wont. I will probably have to go in to their school to sort it out.

thankyou

page

barefootpaula

Postby barefootpaula » Sun May 03, 2009 12:58 am

Weather was nice today so I went barefoot in Manchester shopping. Been a while but I enjoyed it. Boyfriend didn't though, said he felt embarassed!

Barefoot Susan
Getting in the Groove

Postby Barefoot Susan » Sun May 03, 2009 4:30 pm

[quote="Guest"]hi susan

At what age did you daughters start walking barefoot, and did they go to and from school bafoot as my two daughters are going barefoot all the time out of school my youngest oldestes started to wear shoes to school but stoped a week in to the tearm and has never
warn any shoes to or from school and even at school but takes some with her. my youngest started school barefoot and never wears shoes.
They both say that they have been asked to put shoes on their feet but wont. I will probably have to go in to their school to sort it out.

thankyou

page[/quote]

Hi Page,

My daughters have gone barefoot for most of their life mainly because I have almost always been barefoot myself. They have certainly never been pressed into going without shoes and we have thrown away many pairs of hardly worn shoes so there have always been shoes for them to wear if they wished. This has not always been without problems and there have been visits from Social Services and even on one occasion the Police when I have been reported for child neglect for letting them run around barefoot. It just happens that like me they prefer the freedom of being barefoot.
What is your background in respect of footwear? Are you a barefooter too?

Postby Guest » Wed May 06, 2009 1:33 am

hi susan

At what age did you daughters start walking barefoot, and did they go to and from school barefoot as my two daughters are going barefoot all the time out of school my youngest oldestes started to wear shoes to school but stopped a week in to the term and has never
warn any shoes to or from school and even at school but takes some with her. my youngest started school barefoot and never wears shoes.

thank you

page
Hi Page,

My daughters have gone barefoot for most of their life mainly because I have almost always been barefoot myself. They have certainly never been pressed into going without shoes and we have thrown away many pairs of hardly worn shoes so there have always been shoes for them to wear if they wished. This has not always been without problems and there have been visits from Social Services and even on one occasion the Police when I have been reported for child neglect for letting them run around barefoot. It just happens that like me they prefer the freedom of being barefoot.
What is your background in respect of footwear? Are you a barefooter too?

Hi Susan

My daughters are like me I have gone barefoot for almost all of my life, i have only worn shoes a few times myself when was a kid. I never wear any know so I dont make my daughters wear but they have shoes available if they want to wear them. Went in to there school yesterday and the teacher said if they dont start to wear shoes they will report it to the social for neglect. Its there choice not to wear shoes they are available so why all the trouble.

Page

Barefoot Susan
Getting in the Groove

Postby Barefoot Susan » Wed May 06, 2009 7:50 pm

[quote="Guest"][quote="Barefoot Susan"][quote="Guest"]hi susan

At what age did you daughters start walking barefoot, and did they go to and from school barefoot as my two daughters are going barefoot all the time out of school my youngest oldestes started to wear shoes to school but stopped a week in to the term and has never

thank you

page[/quote]

Hi Page,

What is your background in respect of footwear? Are you a barefooter too?[/quote]

Hi Susan

My daughters are like me I have gone barefoot for almost all of my life, i have only worn shoes a few times myself when was a kid. I never wear any know so I dont make my daughters wear but they have shoes available if they want to wear them. Went in to there school yesterday and the teacher said if they dont start to wear shoes they will report it to the social for neglect. Its there choice not to wear shoes they are available so why all the trouble.

Page[/quote]

Page,
I don't think they will get very far on the neglect issue but schools do have the right to impose dress standards so if they insist on shoes you have little option but to comply. Find out what they consider to be shoes - will flip-flops or other sandals meet their requirements.

Postby Guest » Fri May 08, 2009 8:18 pm

Before charging you with neglect because your daughters choose to go to school barefoot, the authorities should take a look at my next door neighbour.
Her poor daughter who must be about 12 has been brought up to be a miniture version of her mother. She even has to wear the same clothes as her mother (albeit in a smaller size of course) whenever they go out.
Mother has bleached blond hair, daughter ditto.
Mother has multiple earpiercings and wears one pair of large hoops and three pairs of diamond studs, daughter ditto.
Mother has a pierced nostril daughter ditto.
Mother is bare legged and wears extremely high heel sandals, daughter ditto, despite her young age has been wearing heels vitrually all her life.
One day she confided to my daughter that she would love to have a pair of trainers and be able to run around and play in the park with the other kids but of course she can't in 3" heel sandals.

Now that is surely neglect!

Kate45

Postby Kate45 » Sat May 09, 2009 4:09 pm

Hi Page,

Are you in the UK? I agree I can't see why your daughters should have to wear shoes, if they don't want to.

I know it is'nt ideal, but could they mayme get away with wearing socked feet, and no shoes instead of going barefoot.

I am 22 and wook in Boots as an Assistant. I am supposed to wear shoes in work and could'nt go barefoot. But I usually leave my shoes in my locker and work on the hop floor just in socked feet. I wear trousers in work, so it's hard to tell that I have'nt got my shoes on.

Is this any help at all.

Kate.

Postby Guest » Mon May 11, 2009 8:28 pm

A couple of years ago I was working in barefeet, when my boss turned up unexpectantly. She told me that I was in breach of Health and Safetey and also she felt it was not a good example to both staff and customers. I explained to her that customers did not mind as long as they were getting the service they wanted. As a result I faced a disciplinary and was demoted.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:18 pm

Could Barefoot Susan or someone else who is barefoot give me some advice please.
I would like to go barefoot and have been trying it but I think my feet are far too soft as everytime I do leave my shoes off I encounter a surface such as a gravelled road to cross which is extremely painful.
How can I get my soles hardened so that I can cope with these everyday surfaces?
Any advice gratefully accepted.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:13 pm

Hi

I've been a 24/7 barefooter (from February to October) in the the UK for about 11 years. What I'd reccomend is break your feet in gently. Start by walking on fairly smooth paving slabs to get your feet used to the experience of being barefoot. Places such as City Centres (I walk barefoot around Manchester City Centre most weekends) are great starting places. They give you the confidence to walk in front of people barefoot, and get your soles used to barefoot walking.

Then, try to walk on some normal pavements. You'll find the sensation of tarmac really pleasant under your bare soles. Tarmac tends to be quite dusty and is a fair bit coarser than paving slabs, and your feet will begin to toughen very quickly. From tarmac try move on to rougher surfaces and you'll soon find that you can walk over most surfaces easily. Keep an eye out for big stones, they still twinge a little for me, and you'll be fine.

Persevere and keep at it, being barefoot really is great! Good Luck!

Barefoot Susan
Getting in the Groove

Postby Barefoot Susan » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:18 pm

[quote="Guest"]Could Barefoot Susan or someone else who is barefoot give me some advice please.
I would like to go barefoot and have been trying it but I think my feet are far too soft as everytime I do leave my shoes off I encounter a surface such as a gravelled road to cross which is extremely painful.
How can I get my soles hardened so that I can cope with these everyday surfaces?
Any advice gratefully accepted.[/quote]
Hi and welcome to the barefoot world.

I will do my best to advise you but having been braefoot for most of my life cinditioning my feet is not something I've really had to do.
I usually liken my soles to soft leather mocassins and they have been like that for many years.
I fully support the advice given in the earlier reply. Whenever possible walk on hard surfaces such as smooth paving slabs. If the slabs are hot from the sun so much the better so long as they are not unbearable hot to blister your soles. You will gradually find that you can cope with rougher surfaces without discomfort.
Every time you walk on soft surfaces (such as carpet) you are helping to undo the conditioning so avoid it whenever possible.
This may seem strange advice when you are trying to go barefoot, but buy yourself a pair of sandals with a hard footbed such are wooden soled Scholl sandals or even better flip=flops with a hard leather base (certainly not the rubber or plastic variety). Wear these when you have to go on surfaces like carpet so your feet are still on a hard surface. They are also useful to carry in your bag to slip on when you have to walk on a surface which is too rough for you to cope with in your early weeks.

Now for the downside of going barefoot! Bare feet are unconstrained and can therefore spread. Don't be surprised if come winter your shoes don't fit. Bare feet need regular checking as tough soles can easily pick up small pieces of sharp gravel etc. without you realising it which if left can work their way in and cause trouble. My daughters check each others feet every evening. I check mine about once a week.

You also need to decide what you will do when winter comes. If you go back into shoes you will have to repeat the conditioning process next spring. Going barefoot throughout the winter needs a fair degree of determination as although its not particularly uncomfortable everyone around will think you are mad!

Good luck and let me know how you get on.
Feel free to ask any more questions.

Susan

Julia K-S

Postby Julia K-S » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:54 pm

Hi everyone,
I've realised that it's quite a while since I posted.
I'm still going barefoot virtually all of the time. As everyone in the UK will know the last winter was fairly cold and there were a few days when there was quite a lot of snow and I had to resort to wearing shoes (thankfully I still have a pair) and some extremely cold days when I wore sandals as I felt the need for some insulation from the freezing pavements.
At work I'm still the barefoot boss. I now have to go to meetings at Head Office fairly regularly and on the first occasion I wore my stiletto sandals and the bosses reaction was surprise and I was asked whether I had stopped being barefoot so from then on I went to HO barefoot too. They are more interested in my work performance than whether I wear shoes.
How are all the other barefooters getting on???

marby
Demigod

Postby marby » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:07 pm

Who can walk barefoot over hot coals? :P :P
[url=http://www.theweddingticker.com][img]http://www.theweddingticker.com/ticker/30384.png[/img][/url]

Zoe12

Postby Zoe12 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:38 pm

Hi Julia,

Great to see you back, hope you are keeping well?

I am still going barefoot all the time, and have'nt gone back to footwear of any type.

Like you my employers are now used to me going barefoot all the time, and don't mind. I am now running a larger branch with more staff so as you say they are obviusly more interested in my performanve than my going barefoot all the time.

It would be great to hear from you again,and to compare experiences.

Best wishes

Zoe.

soulmercer7

Re: dirty feet pictures

Postby soulmercer7 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:43 am

Hi
Great to hear from you.
hope the moving house went well.
its been great wintert here realy, but cold on odd days. Im still going barefoot all the time. had me uncle in hospital for a week went barefoot to visit people and staff looked and wounder why but hay nerver mind. Yep I have photos of my dirty feet if you would like to see them, would ove to see pixtures of your dirty feet. hope to see picture posted soon will post mine soon

hope to hear soon
ZOE

Hi Zoe

Where did you post your pictures? Thanks!

Return to “Fashion & Beauty”