Flip Flops versus Barefoot

Female Fashion Articles and Chat

Moderator: Silent One

HelenPickup

Flip Flops versus Barefoot

Postby HelenPickup » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:06 am

Are flip flops really comfortable or not?

I often find them hard to walk in and not very comfortable, - as a reult of which I often take them off and just go barefoot instead.

Also, is it acceptable to wear flip flops in an office enviroment?

My only other shoes are heels which are a nightmare in this warm mother. I am a single mum and can't afford to waste money on sandals, so really flip flops are my only option in this heat unless I just go barefoot.

Helen.

Usquanigo
Master Wizard

Re: Flip Flops versus Barefoot

Postby Usquanigo » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:45 pm

You ask if they are comfortable or not, then proceed to say that you don't find them to be so, sounds like you answered your own question.

However, I can say this, yes, they are, extremely comfortable, IF you get the right pair. I'm hyper picky when it comes to everything, and it's hard to find the right pair of flipflops, however, part of that is because I'm a guy, and we have a much more limited selection than women do, so it shoudl be much easier for you.

For the record, since you might be in the UK or Europe, we are talking about this sort of thing right? -

Do this - find a pair that is cushioned (a somewhat thicker sole with padding built in), that has little or no heel, and upper straps made of soft and/or cushioned leather, and finally, with a toe strap that is made of very thin flexible material. Then make sure that you get the right size, you MUST try it on to find this out. The toe-strap can't be too far back, or too far forward, and ideally, the uppers won't hook in too far back either, but rather more around the middle of the foot.

If the width is wrong, go up or down a size.

If you do this, you will find that the cushion plus arch support, lack of extreme heel, and properly placed straps made out of soft materials will be extremely comfortable to just stand or sit in. That is the first part of the equation.

The second part is to just take your time getting used to walking around in them. For a while, I would start to cramp up when I first put them on, but it would pass in time. Now it doesn't happen at all, pretty much ever. Heck, I couldn't drive a manual transmission car in them at ALL at first, now I can damn near race with them. It just takes time.

And yes, it is acceptable for women to wear them in an office environment, however.... it depends heavily on many things - is your particular work place laid back enough to allow it, does your particular job allow it (secretary is more laid back than sales person, for example), what do they look like, and what do you pair them up with. They are the kind of shoe that can look cool and classy, even nearly dressy, or be trashy and overly casual.

Finally, you mentioned that you can't afford to buy sandals so flipflops are the only option, I would just like to nitpick and point out that, sandals are shoes, and flip flops are sandals. ;)

Go for it. It's hard enough to keep your feet in exposable condition, walking barefoot everywhere is just asking for trouble, making it that much harder to keep them nice, as well as risking injury. (and blackened soles are not appealing)

marby
Demigod

Postby marby » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:11 pm

Are flip flops really comfortable or not?

I often find them hard to walk in and not very comfortable, - as a reult of which I often take them off and just go barefoot instead.

Also, is it acceptable to wear flip flops in an office enviroment?

My only other shoes are heels which are a nightmare in this warm mother. I am a single mum and can't afford to waste money on sandals, so really flip flops are my only option in this heat unless I just go barefoot.

Helen.
Barefoot is best.
[url=http://www.theweddingticker.com][img]http://www.theweddingticker.com/ticker/30384.png[/img][/url]

zak
Wet behind the ears

Postby zak » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:00 pm

My wife quite often goes barefoot instead of wearing flip flops. Depends where you are going but it can look pretty nice with some outfits.

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:51 pm

Cost seems to be a main consideration for you.
However, cheap flip-flops are not necessarily comfortable. In particular, the very cheap rubber or plastic ones tend to have the thick toe post which can be uncomfortable for some people. It depends whether you naturally have a space between your big toe and the base of the adjoining toe.
I would suggest that other types of sandal would not be out of your price range. Have a look at shops such as Matalan and Primark who have a good range at amazingly low prices.

Ghost of FF Past

Postby Ghost of FF Past » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:53 am

I find flip flops comfy for a gentle stroll. They are not intended to be walking boots after all (mind you neither are heels but plenty of people seem to try it). As for suitability in an office environment, there are flip flops and flip flops! Some are clearly intended for the beach in which case I would suggest no, others such as those sold in Monsoon look more than acceptable.

HelenPickup

Postby HelenPickup » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:16 am

Thanks for the advice,

I have decided just to go barefoot at the momment. Luckily no one in the office has compalined!!

I have loked at sandals, but to be honest they are out of my price range at the momment.

Thanks,

Helen.

Jessica 1989

Postby Jessica 1989 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:35 pm

Flip flops are better than barefoot if you are going someplace. I always wear them everywhere i go. Just don't wear them if your are older than 25 or a guy. Guys look so girly in flip flops and should really just go barefoot.

Usquanigo
Master Wizard

Postby Usquanigo » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:49 pm

Flip flops are better than barefoot if you are going someplace. I always wear them everywhere i go. Just don't wear them if your are older than 25 or a guy. Guys look so girly in flip flops and should really just go barefoot.
:roll:

Thank god you are a minority. A guy CAN look "girly" if he wear's a girl's anything, shoes, clothes, jewelry, etc. But that's like saying a guy looks girly if he wears a necklace or a (finger) ring. If they were bought in the women's area, then ok maybe, but not if they were made for men.

Same applies to jeans, shorts, shirts, sneakers, boots, dress shoes, and sandals.

I'm not sure where you are, but if you're in the states, I would say try not to let it bother you because you'll have to get used to it. :wink: it is fast becoming the norm in warm weather - both with shorts AND pants.

And when it is done right (using all items designed and made for men), it actually does look good. 8)

I do agree with your one point about it being better to wear some sort of shoe (no matter how open and light) than to go truly barefoot though. It's just cleaner and easier to keep things in shape, and less painful.

grace56
Wall Flower

Postby grace56 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:02 pm

I spend most of my time in flip-flops. I find them more comfy than going barefoot even inside the house. My feet stay cleaner, too. Reefs (from Macys) are my favs for everyday wear. A nice leather pair is acceptable most everywhere now, I think.
grace

marby
Demigod

Postby marby » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:18 pm

I spend most of my time in flip-flops. I find them more comfy than going barefoot even inside the house. My feet stay cleaner, too. Reefs (from Macys) are my favs for everyday wear. A nice leather pair is acceptable most everywhere now, I think.
Walking barefoot on grass is much fun.
[url=http://www.theweddingticker.com][img]http://www.theweddingticker.com/ticker/30384.png[/img][/url]

barefootdebs

Postby barefootdebs » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:42 pm

if i am on a beach holiday i always go barefoot as flip flops dont look so good with a bikini. I n fact my hotel was a good 10 minute walk to beach and i loved walking barefoot everyday. Falip flops dont look good in my opinion

Usquanigo
Master Wizard

Postby Usquanigo » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:48 pm

if i am on a beach holiday i always go barefoot as flip flops dont look so good with a <A HREF='http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/catalog/de ... ath/23_176' target='_blank'>bikini</A>. I n fact my hotel was a good 10 minute walk to beach and i loved walking barefoot everyday. Falip flops dont look good in my opinion
To each, their own, I suppose. But I must say that flip flops DO look good, on both guys and girls, and do work (for girls) with bikinis.

It might look a little odd on the sand itself, but for the boardwalk or streets near the beach, it works and even makes more sense. Plus it keeps your feel cleaner, which is nicer looking anyway.

They come in such a wide variety of styles that I'm sure you can find something nice that you like and feel looks good on you.

Not that you have to of course, but as a guy, I find it to be a good look on girls, and prefer it to black soles.

shindig
Wet behind the ears

Postby shindig » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:11 am

I tend to wear flip flops all the time (usually with Tights). I find them very comfotable

Return to “Fashion & Beauty”