Can black men wear kilts?

Female Fashion Articles and Chat

Moderator: Silent One

Can black men wear kilts?

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:19 am

Hi

I've been invited to a wedding and I've been asked to help out as one of the ushers - the only thing is I have to wear a kilt. I know white guys can pull the look off but I'm not so sure about it as a black guy. Will I look weird? My mate also wants me to wear one for his stag night.

What should I do?

Any advice you guys can give me?

Re: Can black men wear kilts?

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:38 am

Hi

I've been invited to a wedding and I've been asked to help out as one of the ushers - the only thing is I have to wear a kilt. I know white guys can pull the look off but I'm not so sure about it as a black guy. Will I look weird? My mate also wants me to wear one for his stag night.

What should I do?

Don't worry about it, if they want you to wear a kilt, then go for it.

Cedric

Postby Cedric » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am

Don't worry about it, you'll be fine and you'll feel like a million bucks. It makes a very comfortable alternative to trousers. Just remember the old axiom about skirts, however, and don't sit with your legs open. :wink: As long as you do that, you're golden. Also, it's not true that you have to go commando under them. Just wear your normal underwear.

Some people think only Scots should wear kilts, but that's stupid. I've worn one on several occassions - including to a wedding reception - and I don't have a drop of Scottish blood in me (only English and Irish, lol).

It would be great if black men wore kilts too, it would futher impress in people's minds that men - all men - look good in them. So I say, go for it!

exoticgal
Devotee

Postby exoticgal » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:16 am

Hi

What should I do?

I don't think it should matter who are you....You wanna wear a kilt..so go for it! I bet you will look great :)

By the way what will you wear under the kilt? :wink:

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:25 pm

Just posting to agree with everyone else, go for it. Im sure you'll pull the look off as well as any white guy would :wink:.

mixed race girl

Postby mixed race girl » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:43 pm

Are you joking - it'll look great. our family name has it's own tartan! My dad is seriously considering wearing a kilt at my wedding!

eightofninekev
Private Dancer (can now PM!)

Postby eightofninekev » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:19 pm

Hi

What should I do?

you can wear what you like mate kilt wearing is great

Thankx 4 da advice!

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:22 am

You guys put my mind @ rest - its just that you don't see too many black guys in them, so I didnt want to be seen as weird... My wife doesnt warm to the idea, and I wonder if after the wedding I should continue wearing it now and then or have to dash it in the bin... It seems a waste of £185 to do so...

Some people tell me they are comfortable to wear. Not to be gross but I suffer from sweat rash (down there) in da summer, are kilts a thick material? will it help things cool off or will it make it worse? How will my fellow 'homies' view me if I went down Wood Green to do some shopping in one? I dont want to be looked at as a wierdo. I just dont know any other black guys that wear them.

Any advice?

eightofninekev
Private Dancer (can now PM!)

Re: Thankx 4 da advice!

Postby eightofninekev » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:08 pm

You guys put my mind @ rest - its just that you don't see too many black guys in them, so I didnt want to be seen as weird... My wife doesnt warm to the idea, and I wonder if after the wedding I should continue wearing it now and then or have to dash it in the bin... It seems a waste of £185 to do so...

Some people tell me they are comfortable to wear. Not to be gross but I suffer from sweat rash (down there) in da summer, are kilts a thick material? will it help things cool off or will it make it worse? How will my fellow 'homies' view me if I went down Wood Green to do some shopping in one? I dont want to be looked at as a wierdo. I just dont know any other black guys that wear them.

Any advice?
yeah they make things cooler for you,although not sure how ur homies would react if there your freinds they should accept it ,i lost some people i considered freinds over my kilt wearing but if they can't look past there predjudices they werent real freinds ,but you will get asked if your scotish and if your wearing underwear as its popualy thought that men who wear kilts go comando .Have u seen a movie called the 51st state ,samuel L Jackson wears a kilt in it

EnglishGent
Getting in the Groove

Postby EnglishGent » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:56 pm

By the way, you can hire kilts from Moss Bros. I did so a few years ago and it only cost about £30 for a couple of days.. far less of an outlay than buying one.

handsomerandyblackladdiebrad1953
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby handsomerandyblackladdiebrad1953 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:39 pm

I'm a cover boy handsome black Canadian man,62,who's called "Laddie" so OF COURSE,I'D LOVE to wear kilts!!!!!!(By the way,where are the bonnie black lasses between 22 and 40?)

diana_robertson
Duchess

Postby diana_robertson » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:24 pm

Damn right muthafucka!

Greys0n
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby Greys0n » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:46 am

i think that if you don't want then you don't have to do it

arturo
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby arturo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:11 pm

if your a SCOT yes or have SCOTS blood otherwise why would you lol

table

Postby table » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:27 pm

Only if he wants the brothers in the 'hood to laugh him out of town or beat the crap out of him.

DavyJ
Devotee

Postby DavyJ » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:47 pm

Only if he wants the brothers in the 'hood to laugh him out of town or beat the crap out of him.
So don't wear it when in the "'hood", just at the wedding. If he was specifically invited to wear it, then obviously no one there is going to hassle him, so I agree, he should go for it.

Several years back I went to a party where everybody was supposed to wear opposite gender clothing. Most of the guys had brought a dress along and then changed after arriving, but I put mine on before leaving home. On the way out afterwards a couple of people noticed I still had my dress on, whereas most of the other guys had changed before leaving. Someone remarked, OMG, you are actually wearing that outside in public! Which was crazy, as it was rather dark and no one else was around. So I noted this was surely no big deal, as I had stopped at a restaurant on the way over and had been wearing the dress then. They freaked out, but I assured them it was no big deal; all the restaurant staff was all smiles and very polite, and I got really good service.

But I agree; a black guy in the 'hood would likely have a different experience.

PriscillaMS
Chat Master

Postby PriscillaMS » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:15 pm

I say go for it. What's really so wrong with appropriating another culture's style?

DavyJ
Devotee

Postby DavyJ » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:38 am

What's really so wrong with appropriating another culture's style?
Absolutely nothing. People are way too hung up on what type of clothes "belong" to what types of people. Women broke through gender stereotypes a couple of generations back; no reason why men can't do likewise.

Morris Minor
High Priestess

Postby Morris Minor » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:38 am

I say go for it. What's really so wrong with appropriating another culture's style?

I would say that "appropriating" is not quite the right word, as it is more like temporarily adopting the style of clothing. But I agree that there is no reason why he shouldn't, although I would think that the wedding took place a long time ago now, given the age of this thread. There is, of course, no reason why someone who is not Scottish shouldn't wear a kilt if they wish to, a bit like, I suppose, a Western woman wearing a sari. If you want to, do it.

I wore a kilt to my younger daughter's wedding (as did my grandson, who was about three - we only had one grandchild then). It's a while now since I've worn my kilt, but I used to wear it it to dances we used to attend and, on those occasions, would often end up entering petrol stations or supermarkets while wearing it. I can't say that it bothered me in the least.

And, to answer the unasked question, yes, I do wear something under it.

DavyJ
Devotee

Postby DavyJ » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:15 pm

And, to answer the unasked question, yes, I do wear something under it.
When wearing a dress or skirt I also always wear something under it. I know there are lots of threads on this board and others about women wearing skirts and dresses without any panties. I definitely admire them greatly and wish this were much more common. But, unfortunately society has a real "double standard" here, so that women are not likely to have a problem no matter how much shows (accidentally or otherwise), but men are all too likely to get in trouble if they accidentally show "too much".

Return to “Fashion & Beauty”