Anti-virus problems

Are you having technical problem, computer playing up, post your problems here and we will help solve them
Barefoot Susan
Just warming up

Anti-virus problems

Postby Barefoot Susan » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:48 pm

My desktop developed a problem where whenever I tried to access a secure site (https with a padlock) I was refused access as the security certificate was invalid. I googled the problem and found that I was not alone with this problem however whenever I clicked on a link to a suggested solution I was again refused access.
Suspecting a virus I took it to a local computer shop who found that the problem was actually with my anti-virus software.
They had experienced this with quite a few other customers and said that although the software I was using used to be an industry leader it had fallen by the wayside recently (I had recently installed the latest upgrade).
The solution was to remove this software and install that from a rival.
Problem gone.
Since what they recommended and loaded was a free version there is no question of financial incentive.
I don't know how widespread this problem is (and I am not naming the faulty firm) but if you experience this sort of problem try deleting your anti-virus program and if that resolves the matter then download a different one.

KBEES
High Priestess

Re: Anti-virus problems

Postby KBEES » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:27 pm

There is a security software which is out there to protect confidential data, such as account credentials, from being stolen by malicious software or via phishing. The software includes anti-phishing to stop being re-direction to bogus sites and allegedly a capability to prevent malicious screen grabs. It also apparently can remove malware that targets transactional software. The irony is that it works in a similar way to malware and some AV will then give the issue as described by the OP. As the programme sits in the quietly unseen in the background, the obvious fix is to change or update the Anti-Virus, which in this instance would the tail wagging the dog.

The software I refer to isn’t an anti-virus app as such, it is freeware that many many banks offer and push to help prevent fraud. I think it turns the url green if it is a trusted website.

Not sure if I should name the product….
I have met someone I cannot live without rather than someone that I can live with.

vigreen
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby vigreen » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:14 am

The information you provide is very good, I have some useful information behind you:

emilycurious
Wizard

Postby emilycurious » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:40 pm

vigreen wrote:The information you provide is very good, I have some useful information behind you:

Nominated for the Weirdest First Post Award.
“Cut the ending. Revise the script. The man of her dreams is a girl.” ― Julie Anne Peters

DanMc
Seraphim

Postby DanMc » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:15 pm

It's a leftover from the panto season - it's behind you.
:mrgreen:
We don't have to be unequal, it doesn't have to be unfair, poverty isn't inevitable, things can and they will change

DanMc
Seraphim

Postby DanMc » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:30 pm

Re: AntiVirus software, back in the days when I used Windows I ran Avira Antivir, which seemed to do the job. No operating system is 100% secure, but I've been using Linux without an Antivirus for years without any problem, the vast majority of computer nasties are Windows .exe files and they mean nothing to my computer and can't execute. You will still have to think about how to stop redirects and popups, which almost always use JavaScript.

The "disallow JavaScript on current tab" addon for Firefox is brilliant for dealing with that, but unfortunately the Firefox people have lost their marbles and if you install the current versions your NPAPI plugins will no longer work. Hopefully they will come to their senses, but I wouldn't bank on it.
We don't have to be unequal, it doesn't have to be unfair, poverty isn't inevitable, things can and they will change

Return to “Computer Problem Solver”