Open toe shoes vs. traditional closed toe shoes for business

Talk about the latest trends, Your fashion disasters, other peoples fashion disasters
Deb-in-car
Beginner! Talk to me!

Open toe shoes vs. traditional closed toe shoes for business

Postby Deb-in-car » Fri May 16, 2014 2:42 am

Hello ladies,

It's finally starting to warm up here Toronto and with that comes the dilemma at hand...I love wearing heels, all kinds including both pointy and rounded toe Pumps (courts for my friends across the pond), boots, ankle boots, peep toes and sandals. I have to dress professionally for work which I also enjoy. Most of the time I'm in a corporate setting with traditional skirt suits and such although sometimes I like to mix it up a bit with some "funner" clothes if possible.
In the environment we're in at work, it's frowned upon to wear open toe shoes. It's a definite no no. However there's a great selection of peep toes out there, there are lots of really classy beautiful peep toe shoes. Every now and then I pair some with a nice outfit because there's something really nice about it especially if one has properly pedi'd toes.
I'm always a little (more than a little most of the time) self conscious about it, I feel it's still not acceptable here, almost like wearing a skirt that's too short or a see through blouse...

I'm interested to hear any input from the board.

Cheers

Deb

Starshine
Regent Empress

Re: Open toe shoes vs. traditional closed toe shoes for busi

Postby Starshine » Fri May 16, 2014 7:17 am

I think open toed shoes with nicely varnished nails (not in a whacky colour) are tottally acceptable for business purposes. They embrace the summer and still look business like.

louise_heels
Duchess

Postby louise_heels » Fri May 16, 2014 11:03 am

Hi Deb

In my office they don't insist on totally closed toe shoes but do frown on bare legs. So peep toes (I have some on today actually) are fine but strappy sandals and bare legs would be a big no-no.

Louise

suzzie76
High Priestess

Postby suzzie76 » Wed May 28, 2014 3:41 pm

Personally I think the more professional type offices it should be peep toe to closed in pumps. All too often I walk into an office where the girls are dressed nicely/professional in a company provided uniform or suit and then they have shoes on that makes them look like they just walked off the beach, then wonder why they don't get taken seriously.

Women walking around in above knee/knee length skirts and dresses with sandals or shoes not much more than a thong (flip flop for non ozzies) is very casual and doesn't present well especially if the guys are wears full business attire. You get away with it more with full length skirt/pants, but I still prefer not to. just above Knee length skirts are fine and look professional with a closed shoe and suitable top half.

In my office, I encourage closed shoes for the women. I pay for part of their shoes and won't contribute to non-closed or peep toes so its easy to enforce. Also the less professional shoes tend to get used away from the office so I don't want to pay for something she lives in on weekends. I don't have heel height limits apart from the basics in that if you cannot look good and natural walking in it, don't wear it. Hence I often wear 5-6" black patent or black heel with 1" platform because I can.

louise_heels
Duchess

Re: Open toe shoes vs. traditional closed toe shoes for business

Postby louise_heels » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:58 pm

Deb-in-car wrote:Hello ladies,

It's finally starting to warm up here Toronto and with that comes the dilemma at hand...I love wearing heels, all kinds including both pointy and rounded toe Pumps (courts for my friends across the pond), boots, ankle boots, peep toes and sandals. I have to dress professionally for work which I also enjoy. Most of the time I'm in a corporate setting with traditional skirt suits and such although sometimes I like to mix it up a bit with some "funner" clothes if possible.
In the environment we're in at work, it's frowned upon to wear open toe shoes. It's a definite no no. However there's a great selection of peep toes out there, there are lots of really classy beautiful peep toe shoes. Every now and then I pair some with a nice outfit because there's something really nice about it especially if one has properly pedi'd toes.
I'm always a little (more than a little most of the time) self conscious about it, I feel it's still not acceptable here, almost like wearing a skirt that's too short or a see through blouse...

I'm interested to hear any input from the board.

Cheers

Deb

Hello Deb, hope you are managing to stay looking so classy, I expect Toronto has proper winter weather, not like the occasional cold snaps we get here. Hope to hear from you soon
Louise x

S.Lana577777
Just warming up

Postby S.Lana577777 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:24 am

When going to business environments, I usually wear closed toe heels. Have you made sure you wore your boots, due to the snowfall today?

Debbie1980
Just warming up

Postby Debbie1980 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:31 am

Normally closed toe shoes

natashaspiner
Wet behind the ears

Postby natashaspiner » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:41 pm

Either one is appropriate in my opinion.
Mostly depends on the dress code or your office.

Return to “Fashion”