Prison reform

Discuss Social and Political issues that are affecting you. Bash the Politicians!
Jean-Louise
FF Royalty

Prison reform

Postby Jean-Louise » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:16 pm

America leads the world in incarcerating those who have broken our laws.
We speak so much about freedom and chastise those in other countries for human rights violations.
It seems like hypocrisy to me. :oops:
I am proud to be an American, but we need prison reform.
It is not necessary to throw every law-breaking person in jail.
But it is a big business, so it is unlikely that prison reform will come anytime very soon. :evil:

emilycurious
Master Wizard

Re: Prison reform

Postby emilycurious » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:22 pm

Last edited by emilycurious on Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a Time of Universal Deceit, Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act.
(Erroneously attributed to Orwell, but who cares, right?)

Jean-Louise
FF Royalty

Postby Jean-Louise » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:24 pm

emilycurious wrote:
Jean-Louise wrote:But it is a big business

When Incarceration for Profit is the business model, having fewer inmates upsets the shareholders...
It's another gravy train like Drug Rehab.

We imprison people to make money and to punish those who are unfortunate enough to get caught.

Mati
Wet behind the ears

Postby Mati » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:20 pm

Jean-Louise wrote:
emilycurious wrote:

When Incarceration for Profit is the business model, having fewer inmates upsets the shareholders...

We imprison people to make money and to punish those who are unfortunate enough to get caught.

Agreed. Countries like Sweden, Norway and the Netherlands are closing prisons and the US are building them and extending existing prisons.

Yet another example of public money ending up in the private sector with very little to show for it to the taxpayer.

Jean-Louise
FF Royalty

Postby Jean-Louise » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:05 pm

Mati wrote:
Jean-Louise wrote:
emilycurious wrote:

Agreed. Countries like Sweden, Norway and the Netherlands are closing prisons and the US are building them and extending existing prisons.

Yet another example of public money ending up in the private sector with very little to show for it to the taxpayer.

Lets face, everything in America hinges on who makes $$$.

Mati
Wet behind the ears

Postby Mati » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:09 pm

Jean-Louise wrote:
Mati wrote:
Jean-Louise wrote:
emilycurious wrote:

Of course, I just wish more people in the US would understand that and vote accordingly.

I wish I could find the story but I read a few years ago about a woman who got a 30 or 45 day sentence and ended up serving over three years inside. These private prisons/jails use software similar to that at hotel chains and airlines and consider an empty bunk/cell to be a waste and will do all possible to fill it. This woman kept getting small infractions that added time on to the original sentence and she wasn't the only one.

Jean-Louise
FF Royalty

Postby Jean-Louise » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:12 pm

Mati wrote:
Jean-Louise wrote:
Mati wrote:
Jean-Louise wrote:
emilycurious wrote:When Incarceration for Profit is the business model, having fewer inmates upsets the shareholders...

Of course, I just wish more people in the US would understand that and vote accordingly.

I wish I could find the story but I read a few years ago about a woman who got a 30 or 45 day sentence and ended up serving over three years inside. These private prisons/jails use software similar to that at hotel chains and airlines and consider an empty bunk/cell to be a waste and will do all possible to fill it. This woman kept getting small infractions that added time on to the original sentence and she wasn't the only one.

Those of us who are enlightened do. Unfortunately the conservative Republican minority has manipulated in their favor.
The thing that is funny is that GOPers are all about fiscal conservatism. Do they not understand how prisons are cost ineffective?

Mati
Wet behind the ears

Postby Mati » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:14 pm

Jean-Louise wrote:
Mati wrote:
Jean-Louise wrote:
Mati wrote:
Jean-Louise wrote:

Those of us who are enlightened do. Unfortunately the conservative Republican minority has manipulated in their favor.
The thing that is funny is that GOPers are all about fiscal conservatism. Do they not understand how prisons are cost ineffective?

I'm sure they do realise, and they are ineffective to the taxpayer, but when you can stash your money offshore and take advantage of any of a thousand tax loopholes, it becomes very profitable.

Jean-Louise
FF Royalty

Postby Jean-Louise » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:15 pm

Mati wrote:
Jean-Louise wrote:
Mati wrote:
Jean-Louise wrote:
Mati wrote:

I'm sure they do realise, and they are ineffective to the taxpayer, but when you can stash your money offshore and take advantage of any of a thousand tax loopholes, it becomes very profitable.

Hypocrisy thy name is Republican.

Mati
Wet behind the ears

Postby Mati » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:18 pm

It would be nice if quite a few of these republicans ended up in their private jails and ended up being a statistic.

We can but hope!

Jean-Louise
FF Royalty

Postby Jean-Louise » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Mati wrote:It would be nice if quite a few of these republicans ended up in their private jails and ended up being a statistic.

We can but hope!

That would be justice.

Mr.Married
Getting in the Groove

Postby Mr.Married » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:42 pm

If we swapped the positions of the politicians with the incarcerated ... the political system would be less corrupt

withhold

Postby withhold » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:46 am

I'm against prisons. In prisons, you will get raped. Nobody deserves that, no
matter what he has done. I don't think i'd ever try to send anyone to jail,
even if he had done the worst stuff to me. I would never be able to be in peace
knowing that i sent someone to his everyday r****.

Jean-Louise
FF Royalty

Postby Jean-Louise » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:51 pm

withhold wrote:I'm against prisons. In prisons, you will get raped. Nobody deserves that, no
matter what he has done. I don't think i'd ever try to send anyone to jail,
even if he had done the worst stuff to me. I would never be able to be in peace
knowing that i sent someone to his everyday r****.

Prisons are necessary.
But treating prisoners humanly is also necessary.
Prisons should not be for-profit places.

Return to “Politics And Social Issues”