My son wants a perm

Swap stories and tips

Moderator: Silent One

Gint

Re: My son wants a perm

Postby Gint » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:43 pm

I don't think its about looking like anybody in particular. I think it is something that should be the individuals choice. Sure it doesn't hurt to make suggestions, but it should still be the boys choice. I think there are many more males out there with their hair permed than people even realize. What's the difference if they get a perm, highlights, earrings etc.
Things are a little different nowadays than they were in the past. I thinks it is somewhat of males taking care of themselves and being conscientious of how they look and feel about themselves. Shouldn't matter as long as they are happy.

becky331

Postby becky331 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:28 am

Sorry, but i had to laugh when i read this. Maybe i'm just out of touch with trends. Are perms coming back? I would try to put him off. Perms were okay in the 70's but looking back they look pretty stupid on men. I can't help thinking of Kevin Keegan or my gradad who decided to have a perm despite having no hair on top of his head.

babygift
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby babygift » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:50 pm

i would make a deal with your son, that if he goes out and gets a job then you will pay for his perm....

Candypants
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby Candypants » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:04 am

your son is so funny !i just think he is very lovely...and maybe you can take him to perm when he is old enough...he will be cool~
Being with you is like walking on a very clear morning.

Traci_cheer08
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby Traci_cheer08 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:59 pm

I know this thread is a bit old but I want to put my 2 cents in. I've been curling my son's hair now for abouto 3 years. It started as a lark -- he was 'curl-curious' & I got him to let me use my hot rollers on him one Saturday morning, when he was about 10. He loved the result, and so did his sisters and I (even his father said "Nice.") So it became a habit. His hair is just below his shoulders, all one length. I set it on velcro rollers almost every time he washes it (3-4X a week ) and he wears them till its dry. It's pretty funny -- on a Saturday morning 2 or 3 of us, including Jer, my son, are all in rollers. I've gradually added barrettes, headbands, etc. to his hairstyles. I have to admit I love doing his hair and I can't imagine what I'll do when he cuts it. He'll also get his hair done at the salon every month or 2 and the girls just love putting him in rollers and putting him under the dryer. He's a good sport about wearing his "curlies" and the girls at school simply adore his hair. We don't use perms (any of us)because I don't like what it does to my hair.

Hair's hair, and if your son looks good in curls you should do what he wants to achieve a style he's comfortable in.

Enjoy!

tower208
Wall Flower

Postby tower208 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:22 pm

I have seen guys with perms. Its no big deal.

Garry1603
Wall Flower

Postby Garry1603 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:52 pm

I got one done when I was about 25. 20 years later and the pictures still haunt me!

Brianandrewscott1968
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby Brianandrewscott1968 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:40 pm

My mother gave me a curly perm when I was 13.
Toni home perm, seemed to take forever to do

DavyJ
Chat Merchant

Postby DavyJ » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:49 am

I think its great he got a perm, and agree with other posters that it should be the boy's choice. I am not at all surprised that he got mostly compliments from the girls. I often wear a skirt or dress in the summer when its hot and, even at my age, have had the same experiences. Most women compliment me, and the positive comments far outnumber the negative ones. teenagers are by nature rebellious; its best to pick your battles over issues that really matter, and let them do what they want when it doesn't matter.

Vivi1987
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby Vivi1987 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:52 am

you should have a communication with your boy

Return to “Family”