Folders gone since upgrade

Are you having technical problem, computer playing up, post your problems here and we will help solve them
astrocan
Wet behind the ears

Folders gone since upgrade

Postby astrocan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:23 pm

I had an old pc running XP where all the family photos and videos were stored on a separate disc (E:) so that they did not clog up the drive for the operating system and could be easily moved.
Our son returned from college and was so disparaging about the state of the domstic IT he donated his pc, I bought a copy of Win7 and he set it up. The drive with the pictures/videos was installed and it is now labelled D:.
Son then went to NZ for a year and I cannot find or see the pictures. The drive seems to be functioning perfectly well, is virtually empty and some folders that have been put on there are easily acessible.
I am worried that these new folders are overwriting the pictues that were placed on the drive when it was on the old pc.
I am clutching at straws, but when saved they would have had E:/..... as their location. Is the fact that the drive is now D:/.... causing the files to be unreadable or is there something else I need to do. I remember when I did this before I had to acquire acess to all the files written on the previous system. If I need to do this, how do I do it on Win7?
I dare not use the pc until this is sorted as I am really worried that every time I switch it I loose some more family photos.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Where did that bloke go who said I was vital?

DanMc
Seraphim

Re: Folders gone since upgrade

Postby DanMc » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:40 pm

I'm really sorry, but I don't think I can help. It demonstrates the importance of backing up your important files to an external device, such as a USB stick. Windows is notorious for trashing the content of all disks when you do an install, which is why you can't install it on a Linux computer, you have to install Windows first. In the world of Microsoft there is only one operating system - Windows.

It's a lesson you need to learn people, never trust your computer to store irreplaceable data. What if the disk fails or gets corrupted? You've lost everything.

It's possible that all or some of your data is still present on the disk, but you would need a data recovery expert to get it back for you and that's going to cost real money.
For The Many Not The Few.

California Man
Beginner! Talk to me!

Re: Folders gone since upgrade

Postby California Man » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:10 am

Try using the search command. If you know any of the names of your files, enter them. Try this on all of your drives.

Return to “Computer Problem Solver”