preschool or keep them home?

Discuss with other parents about any issues you have, or even just chat with others
User avatar
Lady J 624
Duchess
Posts: 2596
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:21 am
Location: New England

Re: preschool or keep them home?

Postby Lady J 624 » Wed May 04, 2016 11:59 pm

Kilgoretrout1 wrote:
Lady J 624 wrote:
Astrid wrote:
Lady J 624 wrote:I was thinking about sending my 3 yo to a couple days a week pre school, but then it filled up. Boo hoo! Lol :)

We will send her to the public schools two day a week thing when she's 4. Hanging out with me is probably better anyway :whistle:


I spend an evening with some parent friends (not those nightmare couples that only talk about their kids and refuse to swear or drink during playdates. I mean normal people :lol: ) recently and after talking to them I've pretty much decided the same thing. I probably need to apply soon, I didn't even think about places filling up :shock:

I live in the middle of nowhere and its like the only reasonably priced place around. Whatevs we go to storytime at the library

People get nuts and crazy about preschool. One of
My least favorite things about being a parent


I think the whole daycare aspect of it has caused that
"Wish I was an English muffin, 'bout to make the most out of a toaster
I'd ease myself down, coming up brown.
I prefer boysenberry more than any ordinary jam."

suzzie76
High Priestess
Posts: 905
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: preschool or keep them home?

Postby suzzie76 » Fri May 06, 2016 6:10 am

I cannot have kids but from what I observe. From 2 years old at least, spending time in day care even a few days a week helps their social skills and gives mum time out to be a adult and spend time with adults (if she doesn't work). Treat day care as fun, not serious.

Watson241
Newbie
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 11:59 pm

Re: preschool or keep them home?

Postby Watson241 » Thu May 19, 2016 12:17 am

Astrid wrote:What age is a good age to put them in preschool or should it be skipped? I can find "studies" arguing both ways, so screw those.


You could always send them part time? That way they get the benefits of being at home with you and the benefits of socializing with other kids at school.

User avatar
Anya.186
M'Lady
Posts: 2474
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:03 am
Location: USA

Re: preschool or keep them home?

Postby Anya.186 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:44 pm

Mine is not ready for school.
But she can recognize some 2,3,and 4 letter words already at 3 YO.
She know all her colors too.

I expect to enroll her in a pre school when it's time.

School includes learning important social schools.
I used to know everything.

Gecob
Beginner! Talk to me!
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:55 am

Re: preschool or keep them home?

Postby Gecob » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:09 am

Anya.186 wrote:Mine is not ready for school.
But she can recognize some 2,3,and 4 letter words already at 3 YO.
She know all her colors too.

I expect to enroll her in a pre school when it's time.

School includes learning important social schools.


Hello,

I am looking for preschool which provides three times of food facility because my son is of 1 years old, And he is little weak and lazy to eat food.
So can you please suggest me this kind of preschool??
Thanks for the feedback :)

User avatar
Anya.186
M'Lady
Posts: 2474
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:03 am
Location: USA

Re: preschool or keep them home?

Postby Anya.186 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:50 am

Gecob wrote:
Anya.186 wrote:Mine is not ready for school.
But she can recognize some 2,3,and 4 letter words already at 3 YO.
She know all her colors too.

I expect to enroll her in a pre school when it's time.

School includes learning important social schools.


Hello,

I am looking for preschool which provides three times of food facility because my son is of 1 years old, And he is little weak and lazy to eat food.
So can you please suggest me this kind of preschool??
Thanks for the feedback :)


You better pack him up a super lunch then.
I used to know everything.

Jean-Louise
M'Lady
Posts: 2435
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:55 pm

Re: preschool or keep them home?

Postby Jean-Louise » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:57 pm

Astrid wrote:What age is a good age to put them in preschool or should it be skipped? I can find "studies" arguing both ways, so screw those.


I am no parent, Anya, but I don’t think there is one hard, fast rule about pre-school.
One of my friends is a teacher. She tells me that the main thing is that kids learn to speak, and have some very basic reading and math skills before they begin kindergarden. They should know colors and other really basic things.
Much of this you can probably teach.
The cost for pre-school can be expensive.
But these are just a few thoughts from a childless friend.

User avatar
Anya.186
M'Lady
Posts: 2474
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:03 am
Location: USA

Re: preschool or keep them home?

Postby Anya.186 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:01 pm

Jean-Louise wrote:
Astrid wrote:What age is a good age to put them in preschool or should it be skipped? I can find "studies" arguing both ways, so screw those.


I am no parent, Anya, but I don’t think there is one hard, fast rule about pre-school.
One of my friends is a teacher. She tells me that the main thing is that kids learn to speak, and have some very basic reading and math skills before they begin kindergarden. They should know colors and other really basic things.
Much of this you can probably teach.
The cost for pre-school can be expensive.
But these are just a few thoughts from a childless friend.


The US can no longer claim status as a top educator.
But the reasons seem obscure.
One thing seems certain; the computer is the new professor.
I used to know everything.

Jean-Louise
M'Lady
Posts: 2435
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:55 pm

Re: preschool or keep them home?

Postby Jean-Louise » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:44 pm

Anya.186 wrote:
Jean-Louise wrote:
Astrid wrote:What age is a good age to put them in preschool or should it be skipped? I can find "studies" arguing both ways, so screw those.


I am no parent, Anya, but I don’t think there is one hard, fast rule about pre-school.
One of my friends is a teacher. She tells me that the main thing is that kids learn to speak, and have some very basic reading and math skills before they begin kindergarden. They should know colors and other really basic things.
Much of this you can probably teach.
The cost for pre-school can be expensive.
But these are just a few thoughts from a childless friend.


The US can no longer claim status as a top educator.
But the reasons seem obscure.
One thing seems certain; the computer is the new professor.


The computer...It would seem so

shree
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:39 pm

Re: preschool or keep them home?

Postby shree » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:50 pm

I think home, that is if you have a family member to bond with the child while you are gone. I observed the behaviour pattern in my sister's children, 2 had her while they were young at all time and 1 didn't at all. The younger one is definitely showing more signs of mischief. But then again, it is only our speculation of his condition. Just because he isn't behaving the same as his older two, doesn't necessarily mean that it is connected with this. But so far that is the only difference. Anyway, it ultimately depends on your situation really and if the nursery is handled by professionals then it may even have a positive result. Moderation is best in cases like these I think.

User avatar
Anya.186
M'Lady
Posts: 2474
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:03 am
Location: USA

Re: preschool or keep them home?

Postby Anya.186 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:18 pm

shree wrote:I think home, that is if you have a family member to bond with the child while you are gone. I observed the behaviour pattern in my sister's children, 2 had her while they were young at all time and 1 didn't at all. The younger one is definitely showing more signs of mischief. But then again, it is only our speculation of his condition. Just because he isn't behaving the same as his older two, doesn't necessarily mean that it is connected with this. But so far that is the only difference. Anyway, it ultimately depends on your situation really and if the nursery is handled by professionals then it may even have a positive result. Moderation is best in cases like these I think.


I am fortunate to have a farm type preschool nearby.
My daughter loves it there but I only have there on half days.
They have what amounts to a petting zoo complete with a few sheep, goats,
some chickens and at least one horse.
There is also a pond where they can see fish and turtles.
No frogs yet but I guess they come seasonally.
So she has learned her alphabet pretty well and the mix with young
Hispanics I see as a positive.
I used to know everything.

shree
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:39 pm

Re: preschool or keep them home?

Postby shree » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:26 pm

Anya.186 wrote:
shree wrote:I think home, that is if you have a family member to bond with the child while you are gone. I observed the behaviour pattern in my sister's children, 2 had her while they were young at all time and 1 didn't at all. The younger one is definitely showing more signs of mischief. But then again, it is only our speculation of his condition. Just because he isn't behaving the same as his older two, doesn't necessarily mean that it is connected with this. But so far that is the only difference. Anyway, it ultimately depends on your situation really and if the nursery is handled by professionals then it may even have a positive result. Moderation is best in cases like these I think.


I am fortunate to have a farm type preschool nearby.
My daughter loves it there but I only have there on half days.
They have what amounts to a petting zoo complete with a few sheep, goats,
some chickens and at least one horse.
There is also a pond where they can see fish and turtles.
No frogs yet but I guess they come seasonally.
So she has learned her alphabet pretty well and the mix with young
Hispanics I see as a positive.


How wonderful this place sounds. I wish I lived somewhere nearby. It sounds just like a dream really.

User avatar
Anya.186
M'Lady
Posts: 2474
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:03 am
Location: USA

Re: preschool or keep them home?

Postby Anya.186 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:38 pm

shree wrote:
Anya.186 wrote:
shree wrote:I think home, that is if you have a family member to bond with the child while you are gone. I observed the behaviour pattern in my sister's children, 2 had her while they were young at all time and 1 didn't at all. The younger one is definitely showing more signs of mischief. But then again, it is only our speculation of his condition. Just because he isn't behaving the same as his older two, doesn't necessarily mean that it is connected with this. But so far that is the only difference. Anyway, it ultimately depends on your situation really and if the nursery is handled by professionals then it may even have a positive result. Moderation is best in cases like these I think.


I am fortunate to have a farm type preschool nearby.
My daughter loves it there but I only have there on half days.
They have what amounts to a petting zoo complete with a few sheep, goats,
some chickens and at least one horse.
There is also a pond where they can see fish and turtles.
No frogs yet but I guess they come seasonally.
So she has learned her alphabet pretty well and the mix with young
Hispanics I see as a positive.


How wonderful this place sounds. I wish I lived somewhere nearby. It sounds just like a dream really.


TY!
I think my favorite part is how she can mix with the Hispanic kids.
For some reason we seem to be socially fixated on why they are here instead of realizing
how we can learn from them.
To be absolutely fair they were here before we were. (SW US)
We seem to conveniently forget that.
Her best friend is this girl Carla whom I plan on arranging some play dates with her mom.
I used to know everything.

Jean-Louise
M'Lady
Posts: 2435
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:55 pm

Re: preschool or keep them home?

Postby Jean-Louise » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:32 pm

Anya.186 wrote:
shree wrote:
Anya.186 wrote:
shree wrote:I think home, that is if you have a family member to bond with the child while you are gone. I observed the behaviour pattern in my sister's children, 2 had her while they were young at all time and 1 didn't at all. The younger one is definitely showing more signs of mischief. But then again, it is only our speculation of his condition. Just because he isn't behaving the same as his older two, doesn't necessarily mean that it is connected with this. But so far that is the only difference. Anyway, it ultimately depends on your situation really and if the nursery is handled by professionals then it may even have a positive result. Moderation is best in cases like these I think.


I am fortunate to have a farm type preschool nearby.
My daughter loves it there but I only have there on half days.
They have what amounts to a petting zoo complete with a few sheep, goats,
some chickens and at least one horse.
There is also a pond where they can see fish and turtles.
No frogs yet but I guess they come seasonally.
So she has learned her alphabet pretty well and the mix with young
Hispanics I see as a positive.


How wonderful this place sounds. I wish I lived somewhere nearby. It sounds just like a dream really.


TY!
I think my favorite part is how she can mix with the Hispanic kids.
For some reason we seem to be socially fixated on why they are here instead of realizing
how we can learn from them.
To be absolutely fair they were here before we were. (SW US)
We seem to conveniently forget that.
Her best friend is this girl Carla whom I plan on arranging some play dates with her mom.


The people I know who are of Mexican ancestry are all smart, articulate, and well-educated people.
Ironically, three of my so-called Mexican-American friends (I say the because I consider them as American as I am) do not even know how to speak spanish. I suppose they grew up here and were assimilated into our country. Though their grandparents and parents speak spanish, they did not pick up on it. All three are hard-working professional women. One served in the military for a number of years.
All of the people who have come to this country have lost some of what they had when they came. But they came to this country for a better life. So, it was a pretty good trade.
Our electoral college president likes to trash all Americans of Mexican ancestry. But he is an equal opportunity offender. He trashes just about everyone.

User avatar
Anya.186
M'Lady
Posts: 2474
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:03 am
Location: USA

Re: preschool or keep them home?

Postby Anya.186 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:46 am

Jean-Louise wrote:
Anya.186 wrote:
shree wrote:
Anya.186 wrote:
shree wrote:I think home, that is if you have a family member to bond with the child while you are gone. I observed the behaviour pattern in my sister's children, 2 had her while they were young at all time and 1 didn't at all. The younger one is definitely showing more signs of mischief. But then again, it is only our speculation of his condition. Just because he isn't behaving the same as his older two, doesn't necessarily mean that it is connected with this. But so far that is the only difference. Anyway, it ultimately depends on your situation really and if the nursery is handled by professionals then it may even have a positive result. Moderation is best in cases like these I think.


I am fortunate to have a farm type preschool nearby.
My daughter loves it there but I only have there on half days.
They have what amounts to a petting zoo complete with a few sheep, goats,
some chickens and at least one horse.
There is also a pond where they can see fish and turtles.
No frogs yet but I guess they come seasonally.
So she has learned her alphabet pretty well and the mix with young
Hispanics I see as a positive.


How wonderful this place sounds. I wish I lived somewhere nearby. It sounds just like a dream really.


TY!
I think my favorite part is how she can mix with the Hispanic kids.
For some reason we seem to be socially fixated on why they are here instead of realizing
how we can learn from them.
To be absolutely fair they were here before we were. (SW US)
We seem to conveniently forget that.
Her best friend is this girl Carla whom I plan on arranging some play dates with her mom.


The people I know who are of Mexican ancestry are all smart, articulate, and well-educated people.
Ironically, three of my so-called Mexican-American friends (I say the because I consider them as American as I am) do not even know how to speak spanish. I suppose they grew up here and were assimilated into our country. Though their grandparents and parents speak spanish, they did not pick up on it. All three are hard-working professional women. One served in the military for a number of years.
All of the people who have come to this country have lost some of what they had when they came. But they came to this country for a better life. So, it was a pretty good trade.
Our electoral college president likes to trash all Americans of Mexican ancestry. But he is an equal opportunity offender. He trashes just about everyone.


We have a large Hispanic population here.
Interestingly they have their own pecking order.
The EU Castile Hispanics occupy the top ring evidently, followed by the Cubans.
The Cubans are very well educated and sought after here as disciplined bi-lingual employees.
They hold many political offices.
Then it gets murky with the South American Hispanics fighting for position.

This racism has surprised me.
Unfortunately Afro Americans are not given much social acceptance among the Hispanics.
I used to know everything.


Return to “Parenting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest