Wilshire Killing and Sentence: Too Lenient?

Are the polititians doing a good job could you do better, debate your views with others

Wilshire Killing and Sentence: Too Lenient?

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:14 am

This is the story in The Times

July 06, 2005

Wife stabbed 112 times over affair
By Simon de Bruxelles

AN IMPOTENT husband who encouraged his wife to sleep with other men stabbed her to death when she told him that she was leaving for a lover 30 years her junior.

Christopher Willsher, 53, lost control and attacked his wife, Jeanette, with a kitchen knife, stabbing her 112 times. Willsher was sentenced yesterday to six years imprisonment after a judge at Plymouth Crown Court accepted his plea of guilty to manslaughter on the ground of diminished responsibility.

The court was told that Willsher had entered into the unconventional arrangement with his 48-year-old wife after diabetes, chronic alcohol abuse and heart problems prevented him having sex.

Over two years the Willshers “picked up” at least 14 men for sex. But when Mrs Willsher fell for one of the youngest of her lovers and told her husband that she was leaving, he could not stand the situation any longer. Mr Justice Owen, the judge, said that difficulties arose when Willsher’s failing health led to his impotence.

He said: “As a result, in a desperate bid to keep your wife, you tolerated what many would find intolerable.”

Willsher had told the court that his wife was “the only true love I have ever known” and he could not bear the thought of her leaving him.

The judge said: “He lost by his own hand the one person he loved.” The Willshers lived in a modern end-of-terrace house in the Ham district of Plymouth. They married in 1982 and ran a carpet-cleaning company together. The couple have a son, also called Chris, who is 21.

Mrs Willsher complained that her husband had a controlling personality and she felt like a prisoner in his home.

As Willsher’s physical health deteriorated, so did his mental state. He became depressed and suffered from rages and mood swings. He drank heavily and smoked cannabis.

After the killing of his lover in November last year, Sean Beaver, 18, told how he heard through a friend of Mrs Willsher’s appetite for young men.

They began an affair. Most of Mrs Willsher’s liaisons were one-night stands, but her affair with Mr Beaver developed into a relationship. Mr Beaver said: “Chris was getting a bit jealous. They used to have arguments all the time because of me.” On the day that Mrs Willsher was killed, Mr Beaver had asked her to move in with him.

The Willshers’ final confrontation took place in the hall of their home. Mr Willsher begged his wife not to leave then killed her. Their son witnessed the attack. Anthony Smith, QC, defending, said that the marriage had been happy until impotence struck. Mr Smith said: “He loved her and was besotted. What he did he did because he wanted to keep his wife.”

Should Mr Willsher have been permitted the defense of 'diminished responsibility'?

Is a 6 year sentence overly lenient for killing his wife by stabbing her 112 times?

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:17 am

The link for the above story http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1682065,00.html

I spelt the subject's name incorrectly in the title of the thread. It is Willsher not Wilshire. Sorry.

Malik the Freak

Postby Malik the Freak » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:57 am

i think 6 years for stabbing his wife to death was incredibly lenient....wtf....especially stabbing 112 times b/c it shows hate and a bad heart....the husband agreed that she could have sex w/ other blokes....it was no surprise sooner or later she wud fall for one of them....it must have hurt the husband to lose his wife for a reason he cud not control....thats no excuse to kill her....i dont know the law but it seems like cold blooded murder to me....sad situation all around though

you have male
Magician

Postby you have male » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:44 pm

I see the 112 stabbings as evidence of his mental derangement.

Maybe he had accommodated her a little too much over the years and when she said she was going he just lost all reason. The judge clearly thought so.

As to the leniency of the sentence, Willsher had already been through years of torment with his wife and, despite that, he is going to regret what he did for the rest of his days. Again, we have to trust the judge on the matter.

Sofie
Chat Master

Postby Sofie » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:53 pm

Been following this story as it's been in the local paper.

Like everyone else says, I think that 6 years isn't long enough a sentence.

rebecca_tarn
Wet behind the ears

Postby rebecca_tarn » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:00 am

It amazes me how lenient the courts seem to be with murderers these days. I remember a few months back reading about a killer who had cooked and ate his victim and in the article it mentioned that he had killed not once but twice before, a shop girl in 93 and a fellow inmate at his mental hospital a few years ago. What on earth were the authorities doing letting him out to kill again?

AmazingGrace

Re: Wilshire Killing and Sentence: Too Lenient?

Postby AmazingGrace » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:55 pm

I knew the Willsher kid before and after, although clearly affected by the event, he was evidently ailing mentally years beforehand and this could suggest a catalogue of incidents leading up to the event. Psychologically speaking a knife represents a penis and a stabbing represents penetration, therefore some truth is to be found in the defence. However, I would say it is not a defence and more an explanation. Peter Sutcliffe wasnt let off because he was a bit mad! Multiple stab wounds doesnt necessarily point to insanity, but it does point to a rage and an enjoyment in that rage, it can also suggest affiliation, which is here known. Such rage cannot be isolated and a first instance and mustve been displayed many times before. Sociologically speaking, if women 50yrs ago were brought up as they are now and as they will be in the future, this woman wouldve deserted this obvious paranoid schizophrenic psychopath when he first suggested she trade her identity for his sense of control, in which case nothing more would have come of it, apart from the obvious issues which now cloud the sons judgement. Simply, he was a REAL MAN and it totally destroyed his identity and then his mind, not being able to get it up, so he decided he would battle her into the submission of staying with him by destroying her will and gradually leading her into his demands, which he assured both her and himself was for her benefit entirely, poor him! And so, because he was such a pathetic figure she wouldve been even more inclined to have to stay put and the son would have his masculinity drained from him as a result of his father conscious presentations. Of course, because this wasnt her idea, or for her and he obviously hadnt completed his brain washing programme to full effect a little of herself emerged to fall in love. Oh dear, didnt think of that, here have my ****, been thinking about this for years, here take that **** for what youve done to me and the final indignity to all three - the son cant defend her, because hes been taught all men are impotent and should just stand and watch, so he does and then goes for help, too late.
I was told by the son that dad died in jail, so that's karma, good.

Andrea Smart

Postby Andrea Smart » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:53 am

What are you on about amazinggrace? To me what you've written comes across as cliched, ill-thought-out nonsense.

Try putting in some carriage returns and giving us context, examples (you know, evidence) to back up your sweeping statements. That's the problem with the internet. Heavy on opinions, light on facts.

amazing.grace

Postby amazing.grace » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:17 pm

"Try putting in some carriage returns and giving us context" - take your own advice after this piece of nonsense.

Domestic Violence and Abuse

Postby Domestic Violence and Abuse » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:47 pm

[quote="AmazingGrace"]I knew the Willsher kid before and after, although clearly affected by the event, he was evidently ailing mentally years beforehand and this could suggest a catalogue of incidents leading up to the event. Psychologically speaking a knife represents a penis and a stabbing represents penetration, therefore some truth is to be found in the defence. However, I would say it is not a defence and more an explanation. Peter Sutcliffe wasnt let off because he was a bit mad! Multiple stab wounds doesnt necessarily point to insanity, but it does point to a rage and an enjoyment in that rage, it can also suggest affiliation, which is here known. Such rage cannot be isolated and a first instance and mustve been displayed many times before. Sociologically speaking, if women 50yrs ago were brought up as they are now and as they will be in the future, this woman wouldve deserted this obvious paranoid schizophrenic psychopath when he first suggested she trade her identity for his sense of control, in which case nothing more would have come of it, apart from the obvious issues which now cloud the sons judgement. Simply, he was a REAL MAN and it totally destroyed his identity and then his mind, not being able to get it up, so he decided he would battle her into the submission of staying with him by destroying her will and gradually leading her into his demands, which he assured both her and himself was for her benefit entirely, poor him! And so, because he was such a pathetic figure she wouldve been even more inclined to have to stay put and the son would have his masculinity drained from him as a result of his father conscious presentations. Of course, because this wasnt her idea, or for her and he obviously hadnt completed his brain washing programme to full effect a little of herself emerged to fall in love. Oh dear, didnt think of that, here have my ****, been thinking about this for years, here take that **** for what youve done to me and the final indignity to all three - the son cant defend her, because hes been taught all men are impotent and should just stand and watch, so he does and then goes for help, too late.
I was told by the son that dad died in jail, so that's karma, good.

[/quote]

Spot on!

And certainly several more cases besides which, past and present, here in the UK, of this type of "paranoid schizophrenic psychopath" behaviour of the personality disordered et al.

Recommended reading:

Sociopath Next Door

Without Conscience

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:49 am

Mitigating circumstances don't impress me.

No woman would have received such a lenient sentence.

Imagine: frigid, boozing, weed smoking, sickly, controlling woman, explodes in jealous rage & stabs husband over 100 times in front of son.

Man or woman, 12yrs would be a minimum I'd set for a wilful slaying.

Return to “Politics”