older/classic cars

chat about all issues involving cars, servicing, help, and tips

Moderator: Silent One

NickyJ

older/classic cars

Postby NickyJ » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:59 pm

Hi, I have a little Singer Chamois, a luxury Hillman Imp made in 1965.
Does anyone else have an older / classic car that they use every day?

Pamb
Private Dancer (can now PM!)

Re: older/classic cars

Postby Pamb » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:16 pm

Hi Nicky, I've been reading your posts about the Imp, it sounds lovely and you are obviously really happy with it.
We have 2 Minis, one a 1968 850 that I use every day and the other is a 1996 Cooper which is only used in summer / special occasions. I love having an older car, people are always so interested and willing to chat about them.
I know what you mean about the bad weather though, my Mini was bad this morning , really iced up, and I hate it when it steams up. I always wear leather gloves in winter, they are really warm but also good for wiping steamy windows without getting your hands cold and damp. I also have one of those little demister pads but the trouble is I can never find it when I need it in a hurry!
How well does your window heater work? my car has one, I think it must have come from a newer Mini, but only about 3 bars out of the 5 work so it's not that good really, I wondered about getting a stick on one like yours.
Pam

NickyJ

Postby NickyJ » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:30 pm

Hello Pam, yes I do love my little car, before I had it I had to walk my two children to school and it was a real chore last winter with the freezing temperatures and snow etc so I was determined to get a car but wanted something different. I was actually looking at Minis when the Chamois came up and I just love it!
Did you use the Mini last winter in all that snow? I'm not sure I would want to drive in that!
How do you get on with the choke on your Mini? I'm never really sure when I can push mine in and end up stalling it, I have seen all the discussions on here about chokes and have tried to get it just chugging slightly as you suggested but then it stutters when I get going and I have to put it in a bit, but not too far or it stalls when I stop, it's quite fiddly!
Thanks for the tip about the gloves, I had woolen ones on this morning but took them off in the end, they got wet when I was scraping the ice off. I have got some leather ones in a drawer somewhere, I will dig them out now and use them for driving.
Nicky

BrianS

Postby BrianS » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:05 pm

My 1986 Citroen 2CV sounds as if it's modern compared to the 1960's cars mentioned! It might be a modest 24 years old but the design goes way back before the original Mini and the Hillman Imp, going into production in I think 1948 although prototypes had been made before the second world war. The last cars in 1990 weren't quite the same as those originals of 1948 and even more different from the prototypes but they are all recognisably 2CV!

Nicky and Pam - you know all about the bane of classic cars, the lack of good demisting equipment. It's the same on the 2CV believe me and here on the border of Cornwall and Devon it is perpetually damp in the winter which doesn't help!

One really good thing about my car is, even with being an old design, the engine is happy with unleaded petrol. I'm sure that Nicky with your Chamois and Pam with the 850 Mini that you have to include an additive when you fill up, unless your engines have been converted to run on unleaded.

Brian

trphil
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby trphil » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:06 pm

My Triumph TR7 is 30 years old today, it's no longer my daily driver but was for the first 3 years that I owned it. I bought it in 1996.

BrianS

Postby BrianS » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:55 pm

There are quite a few older/classic cars on this clip from "The Fast Lady" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu9LSbpf5HU I must admit I am old enough to remember this film when it first came out!! :)

Brian

sarahjane113
Chat Merchant

Postby sarahjane113 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:20 pm

Hi Pam, glad to hear your mini is still going ok? Mine was iced up this morning too, mine is a 1976 one which i use daily now as I had to sell my other car for various reasons. I think the back heater works but its not that effective to be totally honest!

poppins22

Postby poppins22 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:21 pm

Hi!

My boyfriend has a 1980 MGB Roadster in Old English White just like the one in the picture.

I love it!
"Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get
runover or you might get shot "

billybun

Postby billybun » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:20 am

i drive a 1966 viva its only 1300 c and 4 speed, its so reliable i just turn the key and off we go,plus i dont pay any road tax on her ,fully comp insurance is only £92 , i do my own repairs,welding so costs me a few summer evenings to keep old bets going .
i keep as stock of points ,coils dizzy cap etc in the boot just in case fun motoring :D

lightouch1938
Wet behind the ears

Postby lightouch1938 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:16 pm

I hear morgan are to produce a three wheeler again

conjurer1
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby conjurer1 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:50 pm

I used to have an Opel GT, circa 1970, until 5 years ago when finances became tight and I had to sell it.
Nice car that had more potential than was utilised.
I morn its departure and am quite sorry for having to have sold it as it provided daily transport for me for several years.

tower208
Wall Flower

Postby tower208 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:27 am

I would like to own a 70 mustang gt.

ColeBrixton
Wet behind the ears

Postby ColeBrixton » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:05 am

is it possible to find a morgan plus 4 over there in jolly old england ?

are morgans still found around the country ?

I gotta have one but there are none to be found in california.

nikkif06
High Priestess

Postby nikkif06 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:43 am

My friend ha wicked Austin Riley :D

nbear8
Magician

Postby nbear8 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:04 pm

Wonder if you mean Austin Healy they are super cool love the 3 litre one

Return to “Motoring”