Devotee

Re: Railways

Postby Morris Minor » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:38 am

Why?

DanMc
Seraphim

Postby DanMc » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:30 pm

Yes. The East Coast Main line was doing very nicely back in public hands after the failure of the previous private franchise, but of course Tory dogma says that it had to be privatised again. So what did they do? Handed it over to bloody Virgin that's what. They failed with Cross-Country, nearly lost the West coast, but now run both the East and West coast services.
We don't have to be unequal, it doesn't have to be unfair, poverty isn't inevitable, things can and they will change

Chudleigh
Transcendent Poster

Postby Chudleigh » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:31 pm

Quite... business is business. As corrupt as it appears.

Paulzy
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby Paulzy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:58 pm

For those of us who are lucky enough to remember the good old British Rail sandwich and slam door trains..ouch!!! Nationalised railways don't necessarily mean a time machine trip to the past. However the complexities of doing just that would be mind boggling.
Bring on Jeremy!

Morris Minor
Devotee

Postby Morris Minor » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:42 am

Morris Minor wrote:Why?

It would be nice to know what prompted the question although, in the absence of a reply, I will say that it is a different time, and nationalisation is not the answer. After WWII the railways were near bankrupt, rolling stock and infrastructure were in poor condition after five years of increased traffic, overloading and minimal maintenance, and passenger numbers were declining. That is not the case now. Subsidise certain parts of the railway operations maybe, but not all out nationalisation.

DanMc
Seraphim

Postby DanMc » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:41 pm

Privatised rail is subsidised by public money far more than it was in the days of British Rail and a lot of that money is going into straight the pockets of the shareholders of rail companies.

Re: the BR sandwich, most train companies have got rid of the buffet car, it's more profitable to use the space to cram more punters in. The notion of providing a service is gone.

The same is starting to happen in stations. We've heard an awful lot about the major revamp of Birmingham New Street station, but in reality it's sprawling mess. Once all platforms were accessible from a single walkway, now you have to search for the platform you want. Fancy a quick pint and a sandwich when you change trains there? Well you can't have it, there is no bar or buffet, just supermarket and restaurant franchises. You can get Vietnamese street food, a sandwich and a pint you can not have, there's no money in it.
We don't have to be unequal, it doesn't have to be unfair, poverty isn't inevitable, things can and they will change

Lucylastic
Goddess

Postby Lucylastic » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:21 pm

Someone told me they'd changed the name of New Street?
Though she be but little she is fierce

Winston Smith
Goddess

Postby Winston Smith » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:33 pm

I have travelled on the UK railways all my life and I think people look back on a nationalised network with rose tinted specs. I am not saying that the privatised railways are perfect, and there are problems, but they are infinitely better than what I remember back in the 70s and 80s. Railway stations are also nice places to be compared to what they used to be like. Kings Cross is a case in point. It was a horrible station and now it is almost worth going there (and the surrounding area which also used to be vile) just for a day out on its own. I have a choice of six trains an hour from my home town into London...back in the days of nationalisation it was two and they were filthy decrepit trains at that.
Those who give up their freedoms for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.

Julie-Anne
Princess

Postby Julie-Anne » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:35 pm

DanMc wrote:Privatised rail is subsidised by public money far more than it was in the days of British Rail and a lot of that money is going into straight the pockets of the shareholders of rail companies.

Re: the BR sandwich, most train companies have got rid of the buffet car, it's more profitable to use the space to cram more punters in. The notion of providing a service is gone.

The same is starting to happen in stations. We've heard an awful lot about the major revamp of Birmingham New Street station, but in reality it's sprawling mess. Once all platforms were accessible from a single walkway, now you have to search for the platform you want. Fancy a quick pint and a sandwich when you change trains there? Well you can't have it, there is no bar or buffet, just supermarket and restaurant franchises. You can get Vietnamese street food, a sandwich and a pint you can not have, there's no money in it.

To not offer a dining service on long distance trains is just not right. Soon they will be no bathrooms to make room for more seats. :roll:

Paulzy
Beginner! Talk to me!

Postby Paulzy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:38 pm

Much empathy for Winston Smith's post!
Kings Cross and the surrounding area were pretty grim. I grew up in the West End and and Kings X was never a part of London you'd relish.
No doubt trains are cleaner compared to the sixties and seventies...the stubbing out of woodbines on the carriage floor is much frowned upon in 2017 so I believe.
However, setting levity aside, those that pay for an annual ticket to commute may have a more robust opinion!

Lucylastic
Goddess

Postby Lucylastic » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:16 pm

They should bring back steam trains, is what they should do.

Joyofsox
Cherubim

Postby Joyofsox » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:49 pm

Then there would be loads of work for cleaners.
Win, win!
A bit of an animal.

Lucylastic
Goddess

Postby Lucylastic » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:51 pm

Joyofsox wrote:Then there would be loads of work for cleaners.
Win, win!

I have thought more about this. They could be solar powered. Encase the engine and the carriages in solar panels and use the power to heat the water. I'm sure it could be done.

Winston Smith
Goddess

Postby Winston Smith » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:06 pm

Lucylastic wrote:
Joyofsox wrote:Then there would be loads of work for cleaners.
Win, win!

I have thought more about this. They could be solar powered. Encase the engine and the carriages in solar panels and use the power to heat the water. I'm sure it could be done.

Heating water requires an immense amount of energy input. It is what bumps your electricity bill up in your home. Even boiling a kettle makes the meter go doolally. I have been on a footplate of a working steam engine and could not believe the heat from the furnace. Looking at the open firebox was like staring at the sun. You think solar panels can replace that?
Those who give up their freedoms for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.

Return to “Members Chit-Chat”