Habitual liars and fantasists

Area just for our members
SOAS
Private Dancer (can now PM!)

Re: Habitual liars and fantasists

Postby SOAS » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:09 am

Chudleigh wrote:
SOAS wrote:
Chudleigh wrote:Yes, they always have trust issues with others. In as much as they are trying to find out if they can predictably bullshit and bamboozle us. Their narcissism is such that they have uncrushable self confidence in themselves and their capabilities.

Shouldn't everyone have uncrushable self confidence in themselves and their capabilities? Should be a goal.

No, it has to be tempered with an honest appraisal of our ability and a bit of humility. Supremely over confident people without insight cause problems to themselves and others.

You seem to think it is mutually exclusive with honest appraisal. Also, the statement doesn't necessarily imply hubris. Once you know, it should be uncrushable. this does imply either self and or external assessment or at least self assessment outside a vacuum. that said, proof being in the pudding, the need for external judgment may not be warranted. Example: If you designed and launched a rocket, one might say without outside approval, "I'm pretty damn smart"

Oh, and humility says nothing about truth.

Chudleigh
Supernatural Poster

Postby Chudleigh » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:53 pm

SOAS wrote:
Chudleigh wrote:
SOAS wrote:
Chudleigh wrote:Yes, they always have trust issues with others. In as much as they are trying to find out if they can predictably bullshit and bamboozle us. Their narcissism is such that they have uncrushable self confidence in themselves and their capabilities.

Shouldn't everyone have uncrushable self confidence in themselves and their capabilities? Should be a goal.

No, it has to be tempered with an honest appraisal of our ability and a bit of humility. Supremely over confident people without insight cause problems to themselves and others.

You seem to think it is mutually exclusive with honest appraisal. Also, the statement doesn't necessarily imply hubris. Once you know, it should be uncrushable. this does imply either self and or external assessment or at least self assessment outside a vacuum. that said, proof being in the pudding, the need for external judgment may not be warranted. Example: If you designed and launched a rocket, one might say without outside approval, "I'm pretty damn smart"

I stand by my observation.

zilt
Demigod

Postby zilt » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:53 pm

I remember a Russian girl from school who claimed to have had 8 abortions, she also said that in Russia they have 4 storey house with 100 levels.

SOAS
Private Dancer (can now PM!)

Postby SOAS » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:21 am

Chudleigh wrote:
SOAS wrote:
Chudleigh wrote:
SOAS wrote:

uncrushable self confidence in your observations :lol:

Chudleigh
Supernatural Poster

Postby Chudleigh » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:50 pm

SOAS wrote:
Chudleigh wrote:
SOAS wrote:
Chudleigh wrote:
SOAS wrote:Shouldn't everyone have uncrushable self confidence in themselves and their capabilities? Should be a goal.

uncrushable self confidence in your observations :lol:

Abso bloody lutely

Morris Minor
Advocate

Postby Morris Minor » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:08 pm

Chudleigh wrote:Supremely over confident people without insight cause problems to themselves and others.

I used to work with someone like that He was the most incompetent employee I have ever encountered, yet he couldn't understand that he was doing anything wrong. He was convinced that he was one of the organisation's most valued employees. A living example of the Dunning–Kruger Effect.

Victorious1-reborn
M'Lady

Postby Victorious1-reborn » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:46 pm

Back when I was In high school a girl I knew announced at the lunch table that she had lost her virginity to the leading quarterback (of a football team) in a different school district. She said it happened " in the backseat of his corvette". She looked so puzzled when we all burst out laughing.

emilycurious
Half blood

Postby emilycurious » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:33 am

Winston Smith wrote:He just shrugs and smiles and carries on as if nothing has happened. I find it most bizarre behaviour and even more weird that everybody knows what he is like but lets him get away with it.

You work with Donald Trump?
“That’s your orgasm talking… You’re not really in love with me.” - Laurie Elizabeth Flynn

Elysa
Mahatma

Postby Elysa » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:47 am

Victorious1-reborn wrote:Back when I was In high school a girl I knew announced at the lunch table that she had lost her virginity to the leading quarterback (of a football team) in a different school district. She said it happened " in the backseat of his corvette". She looked so puzzled when we all burst out laughing.

Ha ha. Busted. I'm writing that one down.

Return to “Members Chit-Chat”